mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anyone ever compared the Nevagal to Diesel/Gravity for all mountain all condition?

I've been on the Nevagal 2.5 front 2.35 rear for over a year now, they are great and the only very very small negative I can find to them is a bit sluggish feel on buffed trails. They probably have a relatively high rolling resistance because they make quite some noise when I have to do some asphalt. By the way, I ride just about everything, very technical with plenty of slipery rocks and roots.

When I went to Moab last fall almost all the stores had the Diesel and Gravity tires so I'm curious to know if these could be an interesting change for me. Any of you tried both the Nevagal versus the Diesel or Gravity on an all mountain bike in all sorts of conditions?

mtbr member
    I'm currently riding the 2.35 Nevegal front and back. I agree it's a great tire, just a little sluggish. It looks like it's wider than the stated width too. I just bought a pair of Conti Vertical Pros to try out. They should roll better than the Nevegal since they're lighter and narrower. We'll see how they hookup. If I wind up going back to the Nevegal, I'll probably go with the 2.1's.

I'll post my findings after giving the Vertical Pros a few rides this weekend.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    i've used a diesel 2.5 front and rear in the past. nice tread, but weeny sidewall, at least on the version i tried. no experience with a nevegal, but i've got a blue groove 2.5 on the front of my hardtail that i'm loving! sticky compound, sticks like glue; not using it in the rear since it'd get shredded pretty quickly.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The Diesel/Gravity (compared to the Nevegal) definitely have a faster, snappier feel on hardpack and other smoother surfaces. Do pretty well on soft and rock, too, as long as it is dry.

Be aware that the Diesel 2.5 is of similar size to the Neve/BG 2.50 and the Gravity 2.3 is closer to the 2.10 Kendas.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

I've used both.

Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    I've been on the Nevagal 2.5 front 2.35 rear for over a year now, they are great and the only very very small negative I can find to them is a bit sluggish feel on buffed trails. They probably have a relatively high rolling resistance because they make quite some noise when I have to do some asphalt. By the way, I ride just about everything, very technical with plenty of slipery rocks and roots.

When I went to Moab last fall almost all the stores had the Diesel and Gravity tires so I'm curious to know if these could be an interesting change for me. Any of you tried both the Nevagal versus the Diesel or Gravity on an all mountain bike in all sorts of conditions?
    I've been using the Nev 2.35 in both Stick-E and DTC for a while now. I used the Diesel 2.5 in the front for about three rides a few years ago when I lived in the northeast. They were fine the first two rides. Lots of volume, low rr and light. Then I went out when it was wet. I am not exagerating when I say it felt like I had a big fat slick in the front. On wet rocks and roots it was like the water was ice. It was sketchy to say the least. I gave it away with a warning. Now in a place like Moab this is probably not an issue, and it may be a good choice for that, but when you said slippery rocks and roots and Diesel in the same post I shuttered thinking how scary that one wet ride was and how many sections I ended up walking.

The Nevegal, on the other hand, especially the Stick-E grips like glue and even does a good job on the wet stuff. I use a Stick-E in the front and a DTC in the rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey thanks shiggy and kapusta, this is very good feedback.

Good to know the Gravity is more like a 2.1, so they did the same as with the Vertical 2.3, darn Conti, never can size their stuff correctly...

I guess I might think about two set of wheels/tires from your feedback kapusta. I'll have a set with Contis for dry days and a set with Nevs for wet days! hahaha, I just found a new way to lighten my wallet, get some rolling eyes from my spouse but have a bit more fun!

Don't skid
    I have never ridden the Diseal but I and currently running 2.35 Nevagal DTC front and rear. I have to disagree with what others are posting. I have found that after putting these tires on my front wheel has washed out twice resulting in pretty bad crashes. Keep in mind that i was riding the same trails on the same bike that I always ride, the only difference was I put the Nevegals on in place of Maxxis High Rollers.
    I just got a Maxxis Minion Front tire and will put in on it place of the Nevegal. In the back I don't have a problem with the Nevegal but up front it scares me.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

livin' large
    I've been running 2.3 vertical pro UST tires for a while and I really like them, except in goopy mud where they pack up really fast. Would I be Ok to put a 2.5 Diesel on an xm819 or would there be issues with the tire rolling, I got the verticals because of this, but hearing conti's run small im wonderin....
    it tied the room together man!

Dirt Displacer
    I've tried both Kendas & Continentals, and this is how I see it....

~ Both the Kendas & Continentals are very well made tires. Quality is not an issue.
    ~ Nevegals have an all-around, all-weather quality, but roll slow.
    ~ The Continental Vapor/Gravity/Diesel series roll VERY fast, and at a low weight.
    ~ V/G/D tyres are awesome for dry conditions & excellent for slickrock/sandstone, but suck when things get wet.

Here's my suggestion.

Take a look at the Continental Slash/Digga tyres, and slap one of those on the rear. I like them a lot better for wet & rooty conditions. Stick a Nevegal on the front and call it good.

Or give Schwalbe Big Bettys a go, I really like those meats as well.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]