mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Anyone else breaking sram derailleurs?! x9 x5 x4

My bike came with an x9 that I broke on a log ride slip within a couple months. Nothing major, and I was really surprised that it bent that easily. So I bought an x4 and it lasted about the same amount of time until it hung up in my spokes and broke. Since then I have been alternating between x4 and x5 (whatever the shop has in stock) and the last 3 have broken into multiple pieces just riding over rough terrain. Seriously, I've gotten a lot better at log rides and know when I'm going to lose it and pull off. I haven't mashed a derailleur since. The 4 (count em, 4!!!) derailleurs I broke since the initial x9 have happened either jumping or riding rough terrain. One even broke on a rocky line before a 5 ft drop! I heard a snap but couldn't stop in time and had to ride it through. Two other times my derailleur snapped in 2 just riding down stairs. Please tell me there are others that are having this problem. I looked around the Sram site and cant find any product that they advertise to be extra strong (although past 200$ I didn't bother looking). Has anyone had any luck with sram standing behind their product? It's getting to the point where I feel like i need to carry an extra derailleur on long rides. I think I've even broken more derailleurs than inner tubes the last couple years. Any suggestions?Anyone else breaking sram derailleurs?! x9 x5 x4-img_1800.jpgAnyone else breaking sram derailleurs?! x9 x5 x4-img_1801.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    A parable: A guy goes into the doctor, shakes his arm all around and says, "Doctor, it really hurts when I do this!" The doctor watches the man thoughtfully and then says, "Don't do that!"

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    X0 and XX is 100% serviceable...every single part of them. I have yet to break either one:

2004 SRAM X0 9-speed = 6900 miles(recorded)
    2012 SRAM XX 10-speed = 1100 miles(recorded)
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Wondering if your chain is too short. Can you post a pic of your bike? Preferably in the big ring-big cog combo.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    it's currently derailleurless, but i did have to lose a link after a chain break last year. Although these issues have been around before that.

mtbr member

Anyone else breaking sram derailleurs?! x9 x5 x4

I just broke an X5 that came stock on my bike. First derailleur i have ever broken in 20 years. Also my first and last Sram. Just upgraded it to shimano.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    im looking for products to complement my riding style not the other way around. and really i don't ride that hard.

Two Tired
    10,009 miles and over 1.5M feet of climbing on an X0 before breaking the spring. Maintenance was minimal. I didn't bother to check the warranty.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I destroyed an x.9 but it was my own fault as i was riding a skinny and dropped the back tire off and bent the derailleur cage all up to the point where it wasn't ride able anymore. The lesson i learned from that is don't rode the skinny features and i won't have unnecessary breakages.

mtbr member
    Only one i have broken was an x9. I broke my chain and thought no big deal and put it back together minus the broken link. Came to a G-out in big/big (really middle since it's 2x9) and that ended it's life. I agree to look at chain lenght.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratmescher View Post
    it's currently derailleurless, but i did have to lose a link after a chain break last year. Although these issues have been around before that.
    If the chain is too short (and it could have been with the original setup), it will break derailleurs in the manner you described and pictured. More frequently since when you had to take the link out. Most suspension bikes need more chain length when the suspension is compressed than at full ride height. It's worth a check...put it in the big-big combo, take the air out of the shock, compress, and make sure you derailleur isn't maxed out for cage articulation.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I broke my Sram x4 climbing a smaller shallower hill, just gave away and took a spoke with it. The alu holder.

mtbr member
    So you broke a $100 derailleur by falling off a log, then go and buy the cheapest ones possible and wonder why they break? I bet if you bought Shimano Alivo derailleurs you would have just as many issues...

Finally stateside again
    i sounds like your beating your bike up and not riding all that smooth. also your buying cheap componants. i ride a xo on my dh bike and i had it on the bike all seaon with no issues what so ever. i also ride an xo on my stumpy evo and never had an issue. buy quility stuff and you wont have problems. i didnt even know they made anything under x7 anymore

mtbr member
    I put my X9 9speed through a thorough thrashing for 6 years, other than the pulleys wearing out after all that time it was flawless. Moreover I have no doubt that it is treating the new owner of the bike just as well as it did me. My new X9 type2 RD works really well too and my X7 on another bike works flawlessly. I did have a damaged x5 on a used bike I bought, but it obviously went through the spokes with the previous owner. It went through the spokes again or just got mangled with crazy shifting when a novice was riding my bike, I was able to mend it to the point where it functioned again, but got the x7 cheap to replace it. I love SRAMS mtb stuff!

Its all about how you set it up and how competent the mechanic is.

mtbr member
    I had one X9 break but when it did it took out spokes, the derailuer hanger and the tabs for it on the frame.

My new ride has a x9 type2 on it. No breakage isue's but it makes some odd creaking noise's already.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's