mtbr member

Anyone done an AM build on an XC frame?

Talk to me about your experience with this.

A combo of my local XC spot getting all bombed out/ rutted out and me getting rattled more than I'd like led to me deciding to swap the build on my AM hardtail to an XC frame.

Its an 09 pike air u-turn, chainguide, wide riser bars/ short stem, aggressive 26" wheels, will get a dropper post, etc... Over time probably swapping lighter stuff here and there

The frame is a devinci dexter with 110mm rear travel. It has a lifetime warranty and it will see aggressive riding on techy XC singletrack but nothing too crazy, so I'm not worried about breaking it. I figure if I do break it, by that time there wont be any stock to replace it...meaning a cheap(er) ticket to 650-town

Main reason I'm not going 650B now is I like the build, and it has a ton of life left in it.

I figure it should be pretty fun since in my mind this is basically what a slopestyle bike is only with a pedal friendly seat tube.

Really, I posted this because even with the trek fuels haivng ISCG tabs now, I just couldnt find much online about people building them like this.

mtbr member
    sell it all and buy/build your dream bike or the bike you REALLY want
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    sell it all and buy/build your dream bike or the bike you REALLY want
    Already own my dream bike (within reason) this is my bike built to excel at my local xc tracks

Edit: trying to do this as inexpensive as possible. The frames on closeout. Also the drivetrain on this build would never sell for anywhere close to what its worth since its pretty unusual (but I like it): a 28t chainring, guide, custom 11-29t 6 speed cluster on a hope single speed hub. So that's the rest of the reasoning. Now I'm just fishing for others experience.

mtbr member

Anyone done an AM build on an XC frame?

So what's the question? Sounds like you already have the frame and are in the process of building it up. Sounds like a fun XC whip. Just make sure the fork travel is within warranty specs for the frame and go have fun !
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mbtr member
    Why not to build an AM bike on an XC frame--

Geometry. The XC wheelbase is short, and the riding position is low. The obvious cure to the short wheelbase is to add a longer travel fork- it will slack the head and seat angles and lengthen the wheelbase. It doesn't work; you raise the bottom bracket and move your weight rearward, so the bike likes to wheelie and understeer. You can mitigate some of it by slamming the seat forward, reclaiming your seat angle, but the cockpit is snugged up and it becomes trickier to move around on the bike.

The riding position has the same issue- you can't make it more AM without introducing wheelie/understeer. The obvious cure to the riding position is to raise the bars, which moves back your CoG A longer stem will preserve the cockpit and keep your weight in the right place, but the steering gets clumsy and lags behind the rider.

A burly XC bike can be a lot of fun; keep the front travel short, build it up with slightly sturdier bits, and go smash through some XC trails. Just don't try to turn a duck into a platypus. You don't see a lot of these builds because most folk just go buy trailbikes.

Personally, i don't see the need for the chainguide; you can't pedal through the rough or hit things hard enough to warrant it with a XC bike. Much more useful to just run a double.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Yah I haven't bought it yet but it is pretty unlikely I'll decide against it.

Frames designed for 100-120mm forks and ive heard that a devinci mechanic ran his at 135. The fork I have is infinitely adjustable 110-145 so I'll be good there and will find the right balance

The chain guide is really because I just don't need all those gears where I'm riding it, and I find it nice to nor have a front der. I needed the full guide with the HT...may try and ditch the lower roller though since it mounts separate from the upper guide on this model

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    XC bikes set up like 4x bikes are pretty damn fun to ride generally. 140 fork, 1x9, 50mm stem and wide bars, 2.3 front tire/2.1 XC rear. I had a trek fuel EX built up that way, but never felt comfortable pushing it as hard as I wanted to although it was damn fun to ride.

mtbr member
    Awe fooey! Just found out the dexter model year available has different bb standard than English threaded!!

Anyone know the last year the trek fuel ex had 135x10 rear hub spacing and standard 68mm threaded bb???

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Do it. I run a Santa Cruz Blur XC carbon 100mm frame with a 120mm fork , short ass stem, dropper post, and 2.35 tires. It shreds trail. I used to own a SC Heckler and sold it and this setup is just as capable and way better while pedaling.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I recently did something like this. I wouldn't say its true AM, probably more like big trail. But I ride nearly everything on it. 4" travel Morewood Zula with a 5" travel Reba (frame is built for up to 5" forks). 68.5 degree HA, 2.4" front tire, wider bars, shorter stem. Not really AM, but I still ride it like one (though have to be a bit careful not to plow through stuff). Really fun setup.

Details here: The $2000 Dream Trail Bike Project

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    How much are you looking to spend on the frame? Might be better to try and see what else is out there. Lots of frames on close out. I don't think the Titus FTM has a TA rear but they're damn cheap.

mtbr member
    thanks, yeah i am starting to evaluate other options. transition bandit would work beautifully with my build, but just a hair more bike than i originally planned...still a nice contender though

i will have to take another look at those FTMs. I dont have TA rear, just regular 135 only with bolts not QR, but same frame hardware required

basically i was going thru an LBS on the devinci. originally the guy said i was good to go with standard english threaded BB when I said I would buy it. Now it turns out i will need a BB adapter, new chainring, and chain retention setup to fit that frame. He has a restocking fee of +$200 if he sends frame back to disty, but I told him I will not be picking up the tab for his mistake for not knowing the spec on the frame. So I'm giving him a chance to figure it all out but i dont see how he will be able to get me sorted within my original budget which i am not moving on....especially when he has to get a narrow-wide spiderless 28t chainring to cope with my funky dt setup noted above

mtbr member
    youre not kidding on those FTM deals!! 600 for alu and 800 for carbon... sheesh thats killer

if i cant get sorted from the shop with the devinci i will most likely go for one of those

Confused
    This was mine.
    Great bike, Cannondale Rush XL. Built AM as much as I could make it. I think the reason it worked so good is that I am 5'9". So, the bike was way to big for me. (part of the reason I sold it) great to point downhill and just lean back and go. But, it was a double edged sword. I built the bike up way above that frames capability and would have destroyed a very well built frame an shock if I would have kept it.
    Anyone done an AM build on an XC frame?-377632_4676560879114_1695151147_n.jpg
    New frame, shock and some other stuff and honestly, all absolutely worth the piece of mind. Not to mention a lot more fun.
    Anyone done an AM build on an XC frame?-1395929_10202335809143711_1043735840_n.jpg
    Colorado Springs, Co.
    www.theInflexibles.com

mtbr member
    I have an 08 ironhorse warrior 5.0. I bought it with a 120mm fork, 1x9 with bash guard. I bought a Marz 44rlo for it and I love it. 50mm stem and wide bars.
    It does wheelie quite easy on the steep sections and definitely understeers, at least it feels like it. I've never ridden a different bike to compare to so it could be my inexperience, since I'm still developing my dh skills. But there's nothing I can't ride, besides jumps. I won't dare do those, in just not comfortable with that yet.
    The easy wheelie is solved by adjusting your body as needed and the understeer by leaning the bike a little more. It's fun and I can keep up on the downhill with full suspension bikes(a stumpjumper fsr most recently).
    The torture ends now.

mtbr member
    Not really a pure XC --> AM, more of a Trail --> AM. I built up my Blur LT with a Lyrik U Turn coil fork and Marzocchi TST coil shock, Flow EX wheels and 2.35F 2.22R tires. Threw in a dropper post and a 740mm riser bar and I have a light AM setup.

Anyone done an AM build on an XC frame?-20191013_blurlt%40marshallcanyon.jpg

mtbr member
    Glad i did this build as it came out so much better than expected. This thing rips! So much better than the HT it replaced in every way shape and form, and waaay faster climbing and accelerating than an AM bike

Anyone done an AM build on an XC frame?-dexter-cropd.jpg

It is pictured in the HI/steep geo setting, but will swap to LOW/slack.
    Sits right at 30lbs but it is still the lightest bike I've ever had, so it feels like a rocket to me (plenty of weight opportunity for later w/o compromising DH). The split pivot suspension is really impressive so far. It just refuses to get hung up on techy roots and stuff and feels way more plush than you'd think with 110mm.

On the first DH of the first ride I quickly pushed way past the slant six's rear tire's ability and got tossed!