Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member

No good

Love the dropper. I ride lots of tech but even just for crusing around its cool to be able to drop the seat and relax a little if your riding with slow people.... i dont think anybody has given up thier dropper posts your all a bunch of liers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhelm72 View Post
    It doesn't matter how tall you are or what your seatpost height is. If you have your seat set for proper pedaling position, your leg will be straight when the pedal is at the bottom of your stroke whether you are 5'1" or 7' 6".
    While I agree that having a dropper post is helpful and many riders find that it has changed their riding style, this post perpetuates a misconception that the leg should ever be completely straight when pedaling on your bike. If at any point during your pedal movement (while seated) your leg is almost straight you are putting quite a bit of stress on the ligaments surrounding your knee, and your knee yourself.

For years I rode with my saddle too high until I went to go get a fitting (second best upgrade I ever spent on my bike) I ended up lowering my seat quite a bit and most of my knee problems went away. My mountain bike saddle is almost the same height as my road bike and I have no problem getting behind the seat...but maybe I just have different body type.

On to the original question, I had a joplin post, was annoyed that it kept breaking and then realized that I rarely used it when riding...so when it broke for the last time, I did not replace it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Love the dropper. I ride lots of tech but even just for crusing around its cool to be able to drop the seat and relax a little if your riding with slow people.... i dont think anybody has given up thier dropper posts your all a bunch of liers
    ^^
    What he said ..

I've been riding a Reverb for a year now and it's gotten to the point where I cant ride a bike without a dropper. So much more control and fun at the press of a button...

mtbr member
    My Kronolog shat the bed already after a month. I might get it repaired or I might go without a dropper post.

mtbr member
    I don't use the dropper on shutle days or when it's being fixed.

I agree that for those who have to ride some hours uphill and then some minutes dh on technical trails where you go with all the saddle in - you don't need the extra cable/weight.

For me it's one of my favorite accessories on a bike...
    ...but if I didn't had the money to buy one, I wouldn't lose my sleep for not having one

beater
    One thing about my dropper post: I won't go on a road trip without a backup traditional seatpost in my parts bag.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Chop! View Post

I will eventually entertain owning a dropper again but am going to give it time seeing as EVERY post available right now has some sort of issue, no matter how small. I'm keeping my eye on the Thomson release. To me, $400 could go towards any number of items that would make a dramatic difference on bike performance (wheels, high quality disc brakes, etc.).
    I've been debating whether to jump into getting a dropper post, but this is also a hang-up for me. I wish there were some sort of bulletproof option out there. So far, based on reviews, the closest I've come across is the Gravity Dropper classic. It's not pretty, but the reviews are solid.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I take mine off for XC races, that's about it.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    I've been debating whether to jump into getting a dropper post, but this is also a hang-up for me. I wish there were some sort of bulletproof option out there. So far, based on reviews, the closest I've come across is the Gravity Dropper classic. It's not pretty, but the reviews are solid.
    Gravity Dropper design for $100 tickle your fancy?
    Bi King 2013 Tmars Remote Adjustable Seat Post 31 6x425mm ZG20K | eBay

GD had a few breakages on early models (breakage meaning the post itself snapped off) which has been adressed. Apart from that, I can't imagine what could possibly go wrong with them - they're so simple. I love mine. I'd gladly get rid of it if my rides consisted of non-stop climbing followed by non-stop decending, but the terrain around here is very rolling meaning I don't want to be without it.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mrnicolas View Post
    I ran my reverb for a year then took it off since I found that I was actually not using it at all. I put my regular post back in and left it that way for about 9 months. I put my reverb up for sale but it never sold so I decided to just put it back on for the time being. In the last 5 weeks it has been back on my bike I have maybe pushed the drop button 5 times (3 of which were to show people how it worked........) Probably pulling it back off shortly. The weight savings is worth it.
    Why not lower it more? Any time you're not pedaling you can go faster with the seat down out of the way.
    Keep the Country country.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    I have a 27.2 ST, pretty much sucks for dropper selection. I have had an X Fusion HiLo for about a year, and I just put it into a box to send it back to them for the 2nd time to be repaired. What a POS.

Going back to a standard post, I rode with one for 24 years I can survive a few more until someone gets it right.
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

mtbr member
    Love my reverb...but there are times when it is not needed (slower group rides etc). I would remove it for these rides but I have the cable threaded through my frame which makes it a pain to take off.

mtbr member
    Not a chance would I remove my KS post and switch back to a "standard" post on my AM bike. Too many trails around here that have ups and downs, rooty technical features, raised skinnies, steeps etc.

Also would not give up my disc brakes and switch back to V brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by svalgis View Post
    Gravity Dropper design for $100 tickle your fancy?
    GD had a few breakages on early models (breakage meaning the post itself snapped off) which has been adressed. Apart from that, I can't imagine what could possibly go wrong with them - they're so simple. I love mine. I'd gladly get rid of it if my rides consisted of non-stop climbing followed by non-stop decending, but the terrain around here is very rolling meaning I don't want to be without it.
    Got this one, ie european import version (Ice lift V8). Not as nice as a reverb (only 3 position). Can be tricky to setup correctly and sometimes can be hard to unlock.
    But in the end no reliability issues.
    I will never go back to non dropper post, too much gnarly sections here.

mtbr member
    I remove my KS dropper aswell on my AM bike because weight. Anyway I have an enduro with reverb for the dark trails.

Perpetual Hack
    Started with an AMP, now have an early first gen Reverb that has been flawless.
    Gets used multiple times every ride.

I even like it for DH, as the local lift hill only runs one lift. It is a 1.3 km ride across the top of the hill from the lift to some of the more fun DH runs.

For riding my local trails that are ravine based, the dropper post is a revelation. Much prefer a dropper post to adjustable travel forks...

Guess I belong to the NDA as well

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Adjustable seatposts aren't for everyone. In some places, it doesn't make sense to use them. That said, these seatposts enable you to be in a more agressive attack position, allowing you to take turns/drops with more comfort, ease, and confidence. With the seat out of the way of your inner thighs, you can lean your bike further into turns, also you are further away from the seat on drops to absorb impact from drops/jumps.

mtbr member
    May 2011

back to thomson

I don't use mine anymore because where I live now (Tahoe) I pedal up everything, rest at the top, then slam my seat all the way down for the descent and just stand up pedal. Though I am more on the FR side of all mountain riding now. When I did use my gravity dropper it always worked flawlessly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If I had an extra dropper I'd put it on my road bike. Like some addicted as well. Glad we all have options.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3