Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 69
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    I I'm not that tall so my post height isn't super high so it isn't difficult to lean back without the saddle being in the way. If there were drops, jumps, & lots of chunky rocks, I'd lower or want a dropper but like some have said, I dont' really want something else that could develop issues.
    It doesn't matter how tall you are or what your seatpost height is. If you have your seat set for proper pedaling position, your leg will be straight when the pedal is at the bottom of your stroke whether you are 5'1" or 7' 6".
    If you want to get your body over the rear wheel for gnarly downhill with your seat in this position, you will rack your nuts. It's not a matter of if you will rack them, it is a matter of when. Without a dropper, you have a few choices if you want your seat in an optimal pedaling position. You can ride in a suboptimal downhill position (over your seat), stop and drop the seat for gnarly sections, or ride less gnarly terrain.
    In the event that my comments might be misunderstood, I didn't say that you can't ride gnarly terrain without a dropper post. I am saying that any rider can ride gnarly downhill better when the seat is low and they can get their weight back over the rear wheel (which is proper technique). To accomplish this see my above comments.

  2. #27
    I ride a Swarf
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,234
    I love my dropper for the reasons stated above, although I'll add that its more about being able to get low but keep weight on the front wheel rather than hanging over the back and losing front end grip.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,443
    just came in drom my first ride. it awas amazing!

    not only do i drop it for the tech stuff, but. dropped it to for fast descents where i normally wouldnt with a qr seatpost. i was able to lower my cg and corner faster! it felt like riding a bmx.

    love it.

  4. #29
    Levi Early
    Reputation: Levi707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    222
    I ran my reverb for a year then took it off since I found that I was actually not using it at all. I put my regular post back in and left it that way for about 9 months. I put my reverb up for sale but it never sold so I decided to just put it back on for the time being. In the last 5 weeks it has been back on my bike I have maybe pushed the drop button 5 times (3 of which were to show people how it worked........) Probably pulling it back off shortly. The weight savings is worth it.

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart B View Post
    The only way to protect against bad people with droppers is to have good people with droppers!
    Hahahaha! Awesome.

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart B View Post
    I love my dropper for the reasons stated above, although I'll add that its more about being able to get low but keep weight on the front wheel rather than hanging over the back and losing front end grip.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Interesting angle. I do use my dropper to stay low and neutral for better handling in fast and flowy downhill sections. In my previous post (nut racking), I was referring to those gnarly technical downhill sections where you have to hang over the back wheel just to keep from going over the bars. Front wheel grip is not an issue in this scenario.
    There is a certain level of steepness and rugged terrain that just can't be ridden with your weight over the seat. For these situations, I find a dropper post very convenient. This is especially true when these sections are immediately followed by uphill and then down again. I also reap the benefits of the dropper in more flowy sections (as you mention) where you want front and rear grip with a low center of gravity.
    If I didn't have a dropper, I would not lower the seat for those flowy downhill sections and would miss out on this huge benefit. With the dropper, I can seamlessly drop the seat for any section that a low center of gravity or rear weight shift would be beneficial.

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    17
    just dropped my dropper on a newly built HT. not missing it that much but, tbh, haven't hit too many steep trails recently, so using the qr has been no trouble... yet..
    he says...eyeing gravity dropper on old ht.. still thinking about putting it on...

  8. #33
    Resident Curmudgeon
    Reputation: Buzz Cut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,336
    had a dropper on my old bike and loved it then the bike got stolen in LA. Bought a new bike and rode it for a month or so with a standard post. I hated having to stop to lower or raise the post. That said I bought a new Kind Shock w remote and have been loving having a dropper again.
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hoban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    417
    I change my QR seatpost SEVERAL times every ride. I can;t wait to spend the money on a dropper. It'll probably save me 10 minutes every time I go ride.

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    I change my QR seatpost SEVERAL times every ride. I can;t wait to spend the money on a dropper. It'll probably save me 10 minutes every time I go ride.
    It wont save you 10 minutes, it will give you 10 more minutes of riding time.

  11. #36
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,461
    Some rides get little use from my dropper post, but there are enough rides where it gets enough use that it's staying on.

    Have dabbled a bit back with regular posts, but always end up putting the dropper back on after a few rides.

    Caveat: I'm one of those people who hasn't had much trouble with any of mine. Currently being used:

    Two Reverbs (one was DOA out of the box - its replacement has been fine for over a year. They have both needed a bleed about every six months. little enough and easy enough i don't mind.) One gets way, way more mileage than the other, but so far I've not been able to tell if that one is working any less well than the other.

    Two Gravity Droppers - one remote, one non-remote. One is near six years, the other near seven years old. The couple issues they've had were handled quickly, easily, painlessly by the company.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  12. #37
    I ride a Swarf
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by dhelm72 View Post
    Interesting angle. I do use my dropper to stay low and neutral for better handling in fast and flowy downhill sections. In my previous post (nut racking), I was referring to those gnarly technical downhill sections where you have to hang over the back wheel just to keep from going over the bars. Front wheel grip is not an issue in this scenario.
    There is a certain level of steepness and rugged terrain that just can't be ridden with your weight over the seat. For these situations, I find a dropper post very convenient. This is especially true when these sections are immediately followed by uphill and then down again. I also reap the benefits of the dropper in more flowy sections (as you mention) where you want front and rear grip with a low center of gravity.
    If I didn't have a dropper, I would not lower the seat for those flowy downhill sections and would miss out on this huge benefit. With the dropper, I can seamlessly drop the seat for any section that a low center of gravity or rear weight shift would be beneficial.
    Yeah I didn't word my answer properly. I agree abut meant the biggest benefit for me is getting a lower centre of gravity.

    I think that people that don't miss the dropper didn't change their riding style to suit (keeping the bike angle the same as the ride and not getting low), not saying that is wrong for them. Bit learning to lean the bike a bit more and getting lower has helped me, as well as not getting hung on the back of saddle after steep bits .
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

  13. #38
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,023
    My bike came with a Joplin which I used all this season and loved it.

    The problem is that I keep reading that all DP's eventually fail. If/when the Joplin dies, I will be faced with the prospect of trying to figure out which other heavy expensive unreliable DP to get. Vs. simply remounting simple light solid post sitting around doing nothing right now.

    Whoever invents a light, totally reliable DP with remote will die a multi-gazillionaire
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by dhelm72 View Post
    It doesn't matter how tall you are or what your seatpost height is. If you have your seat set for proper pedaling position, your leg will be straight when the pedal is at the bottom of your stroke whether you are 5'1" or 7' 6".
    If you want to get your body over the rear wheel for gnarly downhill with your seat in this position, you will rack your nuts. It's not a matter of if you will rack them, it is a matter of when. Without a dropper, you have a few choices if you want your seat in an optimal pedaling position. You can ride in a suboptimal downhill position (over your seat), stop and drop the seat for gnarly sections, or ride less gnarly terrain.
    In the event that my comments might be misunderstood, I didn't say that you can't ride gnarly terrain without a dropper post. I am saying that any rider can ride gnarly downhill better when the seat is low and they can get their weight back over the rear wheel (which is proper technique). To accomplish this see my above comments.
    I don't have any gnarly terrain to ride. Hence my comment of having no jumps, drops, or chunky terrain. Should have added steeps in there too.

    Off-topic but I've always understood that your leg should be slightly bent when the pedal is at the bottom of the stroke. Looking at a few sites shows that position, not completely straight.
    Last edited by bitewerks; 01-13-2013 at 04:05 PM.

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    I change my QR seatpost SEVERAL times every ride. I can;t wait to spend the money on a dropper. It'll probably save me 10 minutes every time I go ride.
    That's what I thought, but it gets better. You'll have better flow when the climb transitions to a descent. Challenging turns can be done with a lower CG, making them faster. Who lowers their saddles for turns? You will

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post

    Off-topic but I've always understood that your leg should be slightly bent when the pedal is at the bottom of the stroke. Looking at a few sites shows that position, not completely straight.
    Yes, that is correct. The most common height adjustment technique is to place the pedal at the furthest point with your heel on the pedal. You leg should be completely straight with no bend in your knees. This will give you a very slight bend in your knee when the ball of your foot is on the pedal.
    In this position, it is hard to get way back without racking your jewels. As mentioned previously, it is also a high center of gravity. Not necessarily the most optimal position for tight, twisty and flowy downhill either.

  17. #42
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,023
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    I don't have any gnarly terrain to ride. Hence my comment of having no jumps, drops, or chunky terrain. Should have added steeps in there too
    Not to be obnoxious, but what you describe doesn't sound like mountain biking, and certainly not "all mountain" as generally understood. In your terrain you not only don't need a DP, but might be better off without any suspension, front or rear, as well. How about a fully rigid cross bike? On a fire road, all you need is a bike with knobby tires.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squareback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,138
    I went back to a 400mm long carbon seat post, with a skinny 140mm seat, because I was really missing the flex.

    The aggressive seat is much more liveable with carbon post, and I can get back off the seat for most anything but full blown air.

    When I am racing I am trying to roll the jumps anyways.

    PS My Maverick speedball always wiggled back and forth and it never bothered me. Some people can't stand it.

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Not to be obnoxious, but what you describe doesn't sound like mountain biking, and certainly not "all mountain" as generally understood. In your terrain you not only don't need a DP, but might be better off without any suspension, front or rear, as well. How about a fully rigid cross bike? On a fire road, all you need is a bike with knobby tires.
    I don't recall asking for any bike advice...

  20. #45
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,792
    I started a thread like this a year or so ago after I gave up on a Joplin 4. It was a POS, and I still have it in a parts bin and have a Thomson on my hardtail. But, I have used a Reverb on my FS frame for a season with no issues. I managed for a year or so without a dropper, and on our trails that tend to be mostly up and then down, I could manage. But my preference is to have a dropper if it doesn't cause a ton of headaches. I'll be curious to see how the Thomson shakes out. It looks promising.

    I'll add my voice to the chorus of riders who drop the saddle for cornering. Having the saddle slammed way down makes it a ton easier to lean the bike and carve a turn. Focussing on dropping the saddle for steep sections misses the biggest advantage they offer, IMO.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  21. #46
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,237
    I had a reverb on my enduro and it was great for the terrain i ride which consists of lots of ups and downs, some drops , rollers, and steep spots . I currently dont have a dropper yet but i DEF am in the market , just waiting out a bit . Really depends on the terrain you ride i guess.

    Unfort right now i have to either suffer on the climbs or descents .

  22. #47
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,023
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    i don't recall asking for any bike advice...
    Anybody abandon their dropper?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358138168.130547.jpg
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  23. #48
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,237
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358138168.130547.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	753065
    LMAOOO as soon as i can spread more rep def sending your way . that sh1t cracked me up

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    595
    The only way I'd consider abandoning my dropper is if I moved somewhere else. My local trails have lots of short, steep and technical ups and downs and I use my dropper probably as often as I shift. I can ride most of the descents with the seat up but they're much more fun with it down and that's what matters to me.

    If I lived somewhere with less technical trails or somewhere with really long climbs followed by long descents, I'd probably go back to a standard post as (IMO) those situations don't really benefit from a dropper.

    I must be one of the lucky ones. I've got 4 seasons in on my AMP and have only done the most basic maintenance.

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    253
    What a coincidence that the post before mine mentioned an AMP post. I have 4 or even 5 years on mine with 1 cable change and simple maintenance. Just recently the mount for the remote cracked, and while i was trying to figure out how to use a different company's remote my buddy made one for me at his machine shop. So all is well again.

    Problem was the AMP has the cable end at the post, most remotes work the other way.

    I also have 2 years on a Specialized post which has worked flawlessly on 2 different bikes.

    I wouldnt want to ride my trails without one. Even on our xc trails, there are rollers, skinnies, rock gardens and such that the dropper makes so much more fun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •