Just A Mountain Biker.

Any real world reviews on the LEV 27.2 yet?

So far I have seen only one review, and the guy complained it didn't have adjustable air pressure and didn't return fast enough.

Well, my HiLo does have it and it doesn't do sh*t. After 3x back to Xfusion and let me down again tonight, it's time to move on.

I know the GD is the most reliable, unfortunately the most ugly as well. If I cannot get positive feedback on the LEV 27.2, it's a bullet I will bite and live with the rubber boot. I am not willing to wait for the Thomson post, they say late summer which will likely mean early - late fall.

I want a post that comes back up to full extension like it hates me and never wants to see me father another child (yes I know, GD...) I am sick of this slow rise, gentle extension crap.

Let's have it...
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

mtbr member
    I'm with you there. I'll be waiting for the Thomsom to hit the market though. I really wish the GD wasn't so awful looking.

mtbr member
    I just got mine last week. Are you guys talking about waiting for the stealth version?
    Whether you're peddling or twisting the wrist...you're still riding on two wheels...and that's good enough for me

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by tapcon View Post
    I just got mine last week. Are you guys talking about waiting for the stealth version?
    If you're referring to the Thomson, no we're not waiting for the Stealth version. We are waiting for the 27.2mm version.

What I would really like is just some feedback on the LEV 27.2, but it's not looking promising so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    If you're referring to the Thomson, no we're not waiting for the Stealth version. We are waiting for the 27.2mm version.

What I would really like is just some feedback on the LEV 27.2, but it's not looking promising so far.
    My bad. Excuse my ignorance. I should have taken note on the size. Sorry.

FWIW, the Thomson (31.6) is pretty damn good. But again, this is my first dropper, so I really don't have anything to compare it to.
    Whether you're peddling or twisting the wrist...you're still riding on two wheels...and that's good enough for me

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

I have the 30.9 Lev and can tell you it doesn't do what you're looking for. (fast return to full height). I run pretty high pressure on mine and it's acceptable, but by no means "fast". At lower pressure, it sometimes won't give the last half inch of extension.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by tapcon View Post
    My bad. Excuse my ignorance. I should have taken note on the size. Sorry.

FWIW, the Thomson (31.6) is pretty damn good. But again, this is my first dropper, so I really don't have anything to compare it to.
    Thank you ~ I have no doubt the Thomson will be excellent in all sizes they choose to produce, and typically 27.2 anything related to droppers is difficult to nail, as evidenced by the lack of variety. It's still probably the most common seat tube size out there (not on new bikes, I know standards are changing) yet we have the least to choose from. I don't doubt the move to 30.9 & 31.6 is to facilitate dropper posts, because 27.2 is just plain hard to produce without giving up something, most frequently adjustability or return speed.

But that being said, I would rather have no "new" options than have CRAP rushed to the market, i.e. the HiLo 27.2.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    I have the 30.9 Lev and can tell you it doesn't do what you're looking for. (fast return to full height). I run pretty high pressure on mine and it's acceptable, but by no means "fast". At lower pressure, it sometimes won't give the last half inch of extension.
    Thank you - I have some friends with the 30.9 & 31.6 and the return speed is MUCH quicker than what I currently have on the HiLo. I have a feeling the 27.2 LEV may suffer from return speed issues due to not being able to adjust the air pressure. BUT, again the HiLo can be adjusted and it does virtually nothing for the speed. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've been running the 27.2 LEV now for a couple of moths and like it. But as k1 stated, it doesn't have what you are looking for return speed. It is by no means a creaper, but it is not a ball buster either. Although the pressure is not adjustable, I haven't had any problems with it returning to full height. Just make sure you don't over tighten the post clamp.

The only problem I have seen, and one other person has mentioned it in another post was that when my bike sits for a while (week+) the post sticks a little. To 'fix' it, I just drop it and it works fine.

I have been very happy with it.

Out of curiosity, you mentioned the Thomson post... Are they making it in a 27.2? Last I heard it was only going to be 30.9 and 31.6

mtbr member
    I don't have a LEV, but do have a Hi-Lo in 27.2 that I've had for close to 2 years. I had it serviced under warranty once at about 8 months due to leak. It certainly does not return fast and the last inch can feel like hours, but I just pull it up with my thigh. I think the poster above nailed it, over tightening the seatpost clamp can make return difficult. I have a Jamis XLT, known for posts slipping so I went to Universal and bought a double clamp which has 2 pieces, 1 for the normal seatpost then 1 that attaches to the seatpost itself and prevents sliding. The clamp has been pretty good and as long as I don't torque the hex keys, I'm ok for now until someone brings out a better post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    blaklabl,
    Does this home remedy make the GD option any more attractive to you, or is it a boot thing?
    Gravity Dropper and KS Remote!

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    blaklabl,
    Does this home remedy make the GD option any more attractive to you, or is it a boot thing?
    Gravity Dropper and KS Remote!
    Boot thing. But I had seen that mod as well, very cool.

Just A Mountain Biker.

Starting to wonder if the LEV 27.2 reviews are falling under the "if you don't have anything nice to say..." rule? Or if really not many have bitten the bullet. Really need to decide between that and a GD Turbo LP in the next week, have a trip coming up that I will need it on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If you want a ball buster, the LEV is definitely not the dropper post for you. Overall, been very happy with it and has been reliable.

Just A Mountain Biker.

Quote Originally Posted by mast3rof0 View Post
    If you want a ball buster, the LEV is definitely not the dropper post for you. Overall, been very happy with it and has been reliable.
    It's not so much about it being a ball-buster, I just don't want it to creep back up to full extension. Nothing worse than standing up long enough for it to extend, sitting down and realizing it STILL wasn't finished. Do you have the 27.2 size?

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Just get over the ugliness and get the GD. The Turbo model. It does what you want, just doesn't look great. But really, none of them except the stealth routed models look decent anyhow. After getting used to its functionality, you won't really care about the looks.

The work very well, take minimal work for upkeep, are easy to service and get parts for if/when needed, aren't crazy expensive, and did I mention they just work really well?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Honestly, I freeking hated the looks of the GD posts but when I needed a dropper in a 27.2 there was no way I was going to drop $300+ on another KS. I have an i950r but when I bought it the prices were only $225.

Anyway, it's been about 6 months now and when i look at my bike I don't even notice the boot on there anymore. To me it is just a flawless piece of gear that I never have to think about. Just get past your aversion to the boot and go with the GD. The mechanics of the GD are light years ahead of other posts I've own(ed).

Just A Mountain Biker.

Thanks all, GD it is.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Thanks all, GD it is.

You'll be quite pleased with it. Mine is about seven years old. Started as a non-remote, and I swapped the remote on about two years ago. I'd love a new version, but mine is still working beautifully, so I'm not inclined to spend the money.

I broke the original inner/upper shaft about four years ago (which was bored out for some weight savings) and they promptly hooked me up with the revised and beefier version.

The bonded/epoxied on mount for the control knob broke off a couple years back as well - cleaned everything off and careful application of some JB Weld has kept it good since. As I understand it, this is something they've addressed since the model I bought came out as well.

Other than that stuff, it gets a basic clean and rebuild about once a year which takes all of a couple minutes.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Just A Mountain Biker.

Just a quick bump, does anyone have anything to say about the 27.2 LEV at this point after a few months? I got in a car accident and was off the bike for a while so I never ordered the GD. After getting back on the bike (and goofing around on one with a decent dropper post - reverb) I realize again how much I hate the xfusion Hilo POS model. Thanks

Ride the dream
    Just a quick bump, does anyone have anything to say about the 27.2 LEV at this point after a few months? I got in a car accident and was off the bike for a while so I never ordered the GD. After getting back on the bike (and goofing around on one with a decent dropper post - reverb) I realize again how much I hate the xfusion Hilo POS model. Thanks

With respect to reliability, no idea... but I doubt they're re-extending rapidly all of a sudden.

GD's work great, require minimum maintenance and return far more rapidly than any air-charged post will - and as a bonus, getting them serviced really is a home-mechanic job (and obviously the time to get parts shipped to you is far shorter than the time it takes to ship it out for it to be repaired and then shipped back to you).

To be honest, you could probably run it without the boot in decent conditions, but it doesn't look any nicer - it's a functional product, not a cute one.