Radical Rookie

Any Ragley Big Wig riders here?

Hi guys,

I'm interested to hear more feedback and tips on the Big Wig while I build my 140mm HT 29er.

Please share photos of your rig or what setup tips that you feel might be useful when choosing components.

Thanks!
    My Current Weapons:
    Rocky Mountain Flatline
    Ragley Big Wig
    A 27.5

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Copy off another board that I put up last night;
    "I've got a Big Wig frame arriving shortly to be built up for a friend, build pictures and a ride impression to follow over the next few weeks, bought off CRC $407NZD seemed to be great value...
    I'll be able to contrast it with my Transition TransAm 29er, some here seem to think the chainstays are a little long? 10mm or 3/8" longer than my TA? will it make that much difference?"

It'll have a 140mm revelation on it too so I guess others will be interested

Radical Rookie
    Thanks Ken.

Which thread is that? can direct?
    My Current Weapons:
    Rocky Mountain Flatline
    Ragley Big Wig
    A 27.5

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm a newbie here, not sure if this is the right way do it but; Ragley Big Wig frame, debut 29er frame.
    I'll get some pics up shortly, not sure whether 10 posts before you post pics is still valid?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

First Big Wig Build pic

Righto,
    These parts are being given to a mate of mine as a birthday present by his lovely wife, we'll beg and borrow some parts over the coming weeks to finish, come along for the ride if you're interested and we'll finish off running it side by side with my TransAm 29 ...Any Ragley Big Wig riders here?-bigwigbuild1.jpg

Radical Rookie
    Hi Ken,

Thanks for the nice offer. I am building one as we speak. short of Headset and a matching seat clamp only. This bike will be my long ride cruiser.

I checked a mate's Splesh Epic and the geometry is similar (I may have over-looked some numbers here and there but I am talking ratios in general) . But of course, the Epic is a 4 inch FS bike, which may mean some difference.

Will update as I go along. Cheers!
    My Current Weapons:
    Rocky Mountain Flatline
    Ragley Big Wig
    A 27.5

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have one. There is very little rider feedback or reviews on the Big Wig but I'd thought I'd take a chance and build one up last week. Have it running Fox 34's at 140, 1X10, dropper, and light wheels, crests.

Biggest surprise was the level of comfort and give the rear end has. Was kind of expecting it to be a bit of a lardarse but not so. To compare I've had a Cotic Solaris which was much much harsher, and a Yeti Big Top which had carbon stays and although softer was not far off.

Handling wise it seems perfect with a 140 fork and an external headset cup. Have tried a 130mm revelation off another bike and the 140 Fox's are going back on. No wandering on climbs, feels like a well balanced, fun bike.For some reason it reminds me of an old 26" Cotic Soul I had.

The low bottom bracket gives it loads of berm railing confidence, which the longish chainstays probably add to as well.

Popping the front wheel is easy and it's a playful bike to hop over things, pick up the back end etc..

Only thing I have found it lacks for me personally is that I can't seem to get the same jumping distance as I do on my full sus, probably my skills and lack of suspension pop rather than a character of the bike though.

Anyway, very pleased and would recommend as a fun rough trail hardtail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

She's finished but not yet ridden...

All righty! Black Beauty is all together....
    Built from new and used bits as a gift for Sandys lucky husband
    New Ragley Big Wig 29er Size Large
    New 130mm Revelation RL Tapered
    Used Revolution 28 29 Wheelset
    Used Atherton 720mm riser bar
    Used 100mm stem
    Used Magura Louise Brakes 180 F & R
    New Shimano XTR/XT mix 2 x 10 Type 2 Rear Der
    Used Nevegal Fr / Crossmark Rear
    Used Joplin 4 Dropper
    I hope to get out for a ride with its owner "Captain Slow" and contrast it with my TransAm 29
    Ride impression and more pics to come....Any Ragley Big Wig riders here?-black-beauty.jpg

Radical Rookie
    Here's mine

Any Ragley Big Wig riders here?-big-wig-1.jpg
    My Current Weapons:
    Rocky Mountain Flatline
    Ragley Big Wig
    A 27.5

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie nick View Post
    Here's mine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Wig 1.jpg 
Views:	2198 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	838272
    cool rig!
    is this 16" size frame?
    I'm waiting to build mine as well (came w/o mech hanger and cable mounts)

Radical Rookie
    Yes it's a size S

usually it will come with hanger and cable guides.

Quote Originally Posted by N0Mad View Post
    cool rig!
    is this 16" size frame?
    I'm waiting to build mine as well (came w/o mech hanger and cable mounts)
    My Current Weapons:
    Rocky Mountain Flatline
    Ragley Big Wig
    A 27.5

Radical Rookie
    My first brief FR on the BigWig

First trail: flowy with speed humps and frequent gradual to moderate climbs and stretches of rock garden descend.
    This is my first time using a 29er. and a HT at that. The bike feels faster and ride height is taller (D'uh)... I noticed that had to use a wider turning arch when riding meandering lines. some lines which I am used to taking on a 26er doesn't apply anymore. The Big Wig climbs reasonably well. On difficult climbs it need more control then a 26er. But the interesting feature is that this bike really descent well. On some sections I do not even rememeber I am on a 29er HT. It's feels firm on the descend. Probably the best characteristic about this frame.

2nd Trail: technical, big time rooty, muddy with log obstacles dotting the entire trail and tight turns
    While the Big wig makes the trail feels shorter, the technical aspect kills the rider on this occasion. I felt that I had to re-learn my lines in this trail totally. Will need more saddle time in this trail.

for now ...
    My Current Weapons:
    Rocky Mountain Flatline
    Ragley Big Wig
    A 27.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi, I'm new here. I've just built up my Bigwig as a singlespeed mile muncher with a 120mm fork. I was supposed to get a 16" frame, according to my height, but looking at the specs, and measuring my inside leg, a 18" would seem to work better. However I find that the frame seems to need a layback seatpost, anyone else have the same experience, or is it just me with my long legs and short torso.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by deansheard View Post
    Hi, I'm new here. I've just built up my Bigwig as a singlespeed mile muncher with a 120mm fork. I was supposed to get a 16" frame, according to my height, but looking at the specs, and measuring my inside leg, a 18" would seem to work better. However I find that the frame seems to need a layback seatpost, anyone else have the same experience, or is it just me with my long legs and short torso.
    Looks like layback seatpost is a matter of personal preference.

I'm 5'10", also plan to have 120mm fork on Big Wig (as for now, I've built it on my 26" wheels and 55RC3Ti 160mm fork - the same angles as it would be on 140mm Tower Pro 29, but the whole bike is 1.1/4" lower - BB height is 11.3" or 287mm)
    I currently have 400mm seatpost w/o layback, 70mm stem and 750mm Easton Havoc bars on 16" frame.
    Surely I could ride the 18" frame as well - with 50mm stem it would be the same cockpit length as now.
    But I jump quite a lot for XC-riding, so I took a 16" frame for more "ground clearance". Also plan to have dropper post on it (smth with 150mm drop), so the lower top tube is, the better for me.
    Last edited by N0Mad; 11-25-2013 at 06:18 AM.