mtbr member
    Apr 2010

any other bikes that YT rides like? (jeffsy or other)

I hear people talk about some bike companies like they have a certain personality vs others. I've never had the luxury of demo'ing a bunch of bikes. Making my first *new* bike purchase though, and trying to invest the proper effort.

There's a few stores around that I can demo bikes at, each carry 2-3 different brands.

I'm considering a YT jeffsy (which I cant demo) along with these bikes:

specialized Stumpjumper
    Rocky mountain altitude
    Transition Scout
    SantaCruz Bronson

mbtr member
    Without any research whatsoever.... i thought YT copied specialized frame designs and then made the linkage much more progressive. That doesn't mean they're comparable on a test ride... but the YT should be more tolerant of horrible horrible set up, at least.

Nobody makes a bucket of shit any more, so if you're comfortable with YT's design and spec choices and lack of after-sale support, game on.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Seems like a weird approach to buying a bike. You should probably be riding them and choosing based on fit/geo rather then trying to find/compare similar linkage designs.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Seems like a weird approach to buying a bike. You should probably be riding them and choosing based on fit/geo rather then trying to find/compare similar linkage designs.
    Interesting that you drew the conclusion you did about the OP's consideration parameters. I wasn't left with the impression that he's doing as you describe. Variety of suspension platforms in his list of frame candidates.
    As for demoing bikes, every bike I've demo'd or seen demo'd has been so poorly set up &/or poorly maintained that it's practically impossible to come away with a dependable impression. Even if the demo bike was set up well (suspension tuned, fit customized, etc.) and properly maintained, I don't think it's fair to draw conclusions about a bike after a single ride. So personally I quit demoing bikes years ago. Instead I study geometry and seek the opinions of real world owners.
    I'm not saying don't demo, just saying one shouldn't put all one's eggs in the demo basket.
    Any of the bikes in OP's list of potential candidates are worthy machines.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Interesting that you drew the conclusion you did about the OP's consideration parameters. I wasn't left with the impression that he's doing as you describe. Variety of suspension platforms in his list of frame candidates.As for demoing bikes, every bike I've demo'd or seen demo'd has been so poorly set up &/or poorly maintained that it's practically impossible to come away with a dependable impression. Even if the demo bike was set up well (suspension tuned, fit customized, etc.) and properly maintained, I don't think it's fair to draw conclusions about a bike after a single ride. So personally I quit demoing bikes years ago. Instead I study geometry and seek the opinions of real world owners.I'm not saying don't demo, just saying one shouldn't put all one's eggs in the demo basket.Any of the bikes in OP's list of potential candidates are worthy machines.=sParty
    All but one of the bikes listed are Horst, no? I personally would rather ride a bike (with some control of the setup) then study incredibly inconsistent geo charts... and I've been led astray by a few real world owners. Flavor of the month crap. There's a ridiculous amount of hype surrounding certain brands/products... YMMV

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    As for demoing bikes, every bike I've demo'd or seen demo'd has been so poorly set up &/or poorly maintained that it's practically impossible to come away with a dependable impression. Even if the demo bike was set up well (suspension tuned, fit customized, etc.) and properly maintained, I don't think it's fair to draw conclusions about a bike after a single ride. So personally I quit demoing bikes years ago. Instead I study geometry and seek the opinions of real world owners.
    I'm not saying don't demo, just saying one shouldn't put all one's eggs in the demo basket.
    Any of the bikes in OP's list of potential candidates are worthy machines.
    =sParty
    Good point I hadn't considered, it was a friends experience of demoing a handful of bikes (and in their words, driving the shop nutty with it) that led them to just preferring the feel to a lesser known bike they hadnt even heard of. They ended up buying it.

I go back and forth, because I know whatever bike I get that within a handful of rides ill feel comfortable on it and it will be great. And I was ready to not over think it and just buy the one that made the most cost sense (YT Jeffsy). The notion of feeling out a few before spending what is quite a bit of money for me also seemed pretty reasonable but as you say, maybe dont put too much stock into the demo/rental fleet.

I have definitely rented bikes at bike parks that were setup terribly for me.

Out spokin'
    All but one of the bikes listed are Horst, no? I personally would rather ride a bike (with some control of the setup) then study incredibly inconsistent geo charts... and I've been led astray by a few real world owners. Flavor of the month crap. There's a ridiculous amount of hype surrounding certain brands/products... YMMV
    Agree on all points, at least to degrees. Horst vs VPP = variety. Guess I've personally been lucky to avoid incredible inconsistency in geo charts so far though I've witnessed some geo chart inconsistency in brands I haven't considered buying. Sadly geo chart inconsistency is a chink in a brand's credibility even if it's a credible brand. You're right on regarding brand hype and enthusiastic buyers defending their investment. We've gotta keep our eyes open, don't we.
    I'm just saying if a bike buyer is knowledgeable and does his/her due diligence, demoing -- while potentially valuable -- is not a necessity. It's just one slice of a much larger pie.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    I was looking for similar bikes in December and my search included some on your list. Being 6'4" the demo route is out for me...there's never any XL / XXL framed bikes in shops to try. So I've always done the research on my own to find the best bike for my needs. I've not gotten a bike from a shop since 2003...prefer to assemble and maintain myself vs dealing with a shop.

I ended up with 2018 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5 / aluminum frame). May want to throw that on your list...they come in carbon too. I paid $2300 mail order. I'm a few hundred miles into it and for a big bike it is an awesome climber. I had not considered the Rocky Mountain Altitude...read a review of the 2018 and it sounds very similar to my Kona.

I agree that basing a decision on one ride of a demo bike is probably not the best but at least you get to ride the damn thing before buying it which is something I have never gotten to do in 30 years of riding!
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    then study incredibly inconsistent geo charts
    What do you mean by this? That you physically measure the geo and its different than the manufacturers chart?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I find the ETT dimension the most mis-leading as they measure it at stack height. I always measure myself from seat tip to center of bars with the seat at ride height.

For example my 429T Pivot has a reach of 630 and a Trek Fuel EX has a reach of 610--(nearly an inch diff)--but at ride height they are both totally the same--due to the Trek having a much lower stack.

Depending on how long your legs are you may get a different result