mtbr member

Any experience with these tires?

I've come across this:

Bontrager: SE4 Team Issue (Model #11877)

I'm guessing that this SE4 Team is a really new tire, as I can't find hardly anything in terms of reviews on it, but they've designed it specifically for Enduro/AM/Trail.

Any experience with these by anyone?
    Last edited by Technician; 10-13-2013 at 04:18 PM.

mtbr member
    im sure theyre pretty good. they look pretty similar to the Nevegals, which i use to run.
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Think they are just Bontrager's take on Schwalbes Super Gravity tire. Same tread pattern as the XR4 with a reinforced sidewall.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've tried 3 or 4 Bontrager tires in the last year, and haven't been very happy with any of them. They wear out fast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_dan View Post
    Think they are just Bontrager's take on Schwalbes Super Gravity tire. Same tread pattern as the XR4 with a reinforced sidewall.
    I wonder about that. It appears that this particular tire has at least one design concept that is unique, as displayed here:

Singletrack Magazine | New 'Hinged' SE4 Tyre from Bontrager

So unique that they're applying for a Patend on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    I've tried 3 or 4 Bontrager tires in the last year, and haven't been very happy with any of them. They wear out fast.
    Were you unhappy with their performance, or the just the fact that they wore out quickly? What conditions did they not perform so great? If they wore out quickly, does that not suggest that they're sticky?

It is also possible that this particular tire will be killer, while their previous efforts have not been. Just sayin'.

After giving it some consideration though in the last few hours, it appears that these tires are 255 grams heavier each than my present Specialized Purgatory 2.3 tires, so that might be the deal breaker on these, and might keep me staying with the Purg on the front, and the Ground Control 2.3 on the back.

shrug. I'm all about following the evidence, rather than being devoted to brands.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've been riding the XR4 version of this tire and been very happy with it. It grips well, wears ok. I've found it comparable to some of the better tires I've used like minions.

The regular XR4 for having a lighter casing, I've found it resistant to cuts and tears. It might wear a little faster than some tires slower than others. Everyone I know using Schwalbe tires who rides similar conditions and bikes to me, seems to cook those pretty quick.

That extra protection layer is pretty interesting. It adds a lot of the protection and cut resistance of a dual ply tire, while still leaving the casing more pliable.

If you are riding in places and in style that tears up tires and punches holes in them, I don't think there is magic formula for getting protection without adding weight. If you can get away without the added protection, that's great, but if you want a bombproof 2.3-2.4 tire, I think those all end up being 900 grams+.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. I'm also wondering what the rubber compound durometer is on these SE4 tires. There's no info to be found on the 'net, so I fired off an email to Trek with an inquiry.

A friend of mine is recommending the Specialized Butcher Control 2.3 (26"), which is an acceptable 730 g., and the SX version of the Butcher is 950 g, virtually equivalent to the Bontrager SE4 2.35 at 941 g., so the SE4 must be a fairly stout tire.

I have to wonder what a 2.5 Butcher SX would be like on the front only - would I really feel the weight, or would it eat up the nasty downhills making the extra weight worth it? Hmmmm......

As it's a holiday today in Canada, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to check on the SE4's availability.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    What's the holiday in Canada today?

I was riding a Minion DHF with an EXO cassing and the 3C for a while. I ran it up front till it wore down, and put in the back. It's a pretty heavy tire 900+ grams. It has firmer rubber on top of softer under layer. When I put in the back more of the firmer rubber was gone. I think the slower rubber makes a bigger difference than weight, pedaling a tire, but I'm not really sure.

The XR4 tires has two different durometers rubbers. In addition to the durometer there is another variable, how fast the rubber rebounds. That makes as big in difference traction and pedaling feel as anything, although no one seems to specify that variable. It's noticeable, if you stick finger nail in the tread and bounces back slowly. Some Kenda. tires have really slow rebounding rubber in the side knobs. I imagine other tires do to, just not as familiar with them.

mtbr member
    What's the holiday in Canada today?

Thankgiving. It's always funny watching Americans celebrate it at the wrong time.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Been riding the XR4 TR stuff on a couple bikes for a bit now. The 2.35 up front on three bikes, and the 2.2 on back of one. Generally prefer to run a beefier sidewall on the back, so that's why the 2.2 is only one the back of my hardtail, and the other bikes have other full UST tires - a little heavier, but certainly tougher. That said, I've not had any trouble getting these to mount and seal up tubeless, nor any issue with sidewall tears or ripping nobs off.

This in between seems like it might work out just great there...

Anyhow, haven't noticed them wearing any faster than really any other tires Ive had in the past. IMO, they are not quite as grippy as a Minion, but they roll a lot faster - or at least they feel they do. Also IMO, they kick the crap out of Nevegals.

I'm thinking my next round, may try this new version on the back, paired with a High RollerII TR up front
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    FYI & interest, I got a reply from TREK today on the durometer rating of this new Bontrager SE4. It has a “custom compound 55 shore A.”
    I call him free who is led solely by reason. (Baruch Spinoza)

mtbr member

Great tire but...

I started riding my set of SE4s last August. Compared to my Nobby Nic's, they perform excellent on rocky technical terrain. These tires offer tremendous grip which helps boost confidence when torquing it over steep rocks and rooty climbs. Didn't fine that the threads worn down fast either. They're heavy though but make up for it in their durability and grippyness (if that's a word).

Found a couple bad faults though:

The bead doesn't secure too well on WTB i23 wheels when running tubeless and low pressure. Found that the back tire would occasionally burp out sealant (Stans No Tube) when the going get a little rough. But this issue may have been be due to the colder Canadian temps (rode until late November); the tires stiffen-up in near freezing to frozen temps. (But grip was still good!)

Secondly is I found the tires developed pin holes throughout the sidewalls. This causes the Stan's Sealant to leak out as well as air pressure. It also looks terrible. I've posted a few pics. I'm going to see if I can claim warranty as it seems unusual.

Has this happened to anyone else?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any experience with these tires?-2014-04-13-14.38.28.jpg  

Any experience with these tires?-2014-04-13-14.39.07.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    So I've now run two sets of these tires. They started out really nice and grippy however as stated above they did start to leak sealant out the sidewalls. I also thought the back wore out very fast. Good tires but not great.

I just bought two Minion 2's and am going to give those a shot.