usually cranky

answer pro taper 720 am bars

has anyone used these? i am trying to decide between these and the sunline v1's. other opinions are more than welcome.

usually cranky
    also thinking about the new race face atlas bars but not really crazy about any of the colors they come in.

usually cranky
    ended up with the answer's. someones gotta try them.

mtbr member
    b-kul, how did those bars work out for you? I was looking at these for my 29er HT.

mtbr member
    I went with the Pro Taper 780 bars and cut them to 760 and I love em! They give amazing control and the sweep feels great on the wrists. There are stiff with just the perfect amount of flex. Ive used them for everything from DH to XC on my Rune.

mtbr member
    I've been riding those RF Atlas FRs (785) all summer and going back to the Answer 720, or the RF SixCs will take some getting used to. So, since Chainluv was dumping those Sunline 765 flats for a nice price, I grabbed some for my trail bikes to transition down to smaller widths

But b-kul, I was on the 720 carbons (1/2" rise) all last winter. Nice bar! swapped it out w/ a RF SixC in the spring to get a bit more width and rise to mimic the cockpit of my Nomad. I slapped it back on my Blur LT when the switch from the 32 Float 150 to 36 raised the SixC (3/4" rise) a bit too much (also changed the stem to a 90mm x 0 degree from a 100mm x 10 degrees Thomson).

The carbon is nice and stiff...no hint of flex at all. The finish is pretty tough too. The shape for the 1/2" rise carbon is a bit noticeable in that the rise is at the center, and the sweep back starts at about 5" off the stem clamp, and it's very subtle. It's so subtle, I'd call this a flat bar...in comparison to the Sunline flats, it's flatter.
    Last edited by Pau11y; 09-29-2011 at 10:59 AM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    protapers are my favorite bars, very comfortable. I dont like bars with lots of sweep.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    protapers are my favorite bars, very comfortable. I dont like bars with lots of sweep.
    Oh man, those Sunline flats must drive you crazy then!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    I had both sunlines and protapers and a set of havoc this summer.
    i prefer the sunline and havoc over the protaper...really is just my personnal preference for the "feel" of the bar.

usually cranky
    woah, blast from the past.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    woah, blast from the past.
    So since this is zombi thread, what are your thoughts on those 720s? Should have had enough time to feel them out now...
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

usually cranky
    well since those bars i have gone through two other bikes, a jamis xam and a spec stumpy 29. i did like thos bars, a bit heavy and wide for me but pretty good feel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    well since those bars i have gone through two other bikes, a jamis xam and a spec stumpy 29. i did like thos bars, a bit heavy and wide for me but pretty good feel.
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh...just so I have a base for the "..a bit heavy and wide" comment. You're talking about the aluminum version right?
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

usually cranky
    im about 6' 155. just for clarity i like bars more in the 700- 710 range, and for a bar of that width i do think 300 and something grams is on the heavier side. they were aluminum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have been on my answer pro tapers for about a month now i can feel the the damping effects for sure takes the sting out of rough sections!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My thing with the ProTaper AM720 is that it's available in a 50mm rise and red ano. I can do w/o red ano, but it would look pretty pimp on my ride. The high rise is a must for me. I've been riding EA70 HiRise bars since 2005 and just can't get away from them. They feel great, but the wider 720 seems like something I'd like to try soon.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com