Yeet so hard

Another recommendation thread

I am looking for a new toy. I currently have a 2014 kona process 134dl (27.5, 134r/140f travel). While I enjoy this bike, it is a pig to pedal (for its travel) but it is very enjoyable going down. I felt fairly under gunned at windham this year on it. I ride in upstate ny typically but plan on doing some travel to some localish enduros and lift access parks.

The MY2018 kona process 153 27.5 has piqued my interest with the new suspension platform.
    Other thoughts are the canyon strive (160 is too big of a bike. This is only a consideration due to the shapeshifter), evil insurgent, yt Jeffsy. I am not sold on 27.5/29. I have ridden and enjoyed both. Looking to stay under $4k.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The new process looks awesome! I haven't ridden one though but Konas are bombproof. My 1998 stab has seen a bunch of DH races and freerider drops and still works well!

The new Nomad also looks really good and Bronson goes down well, about like the old process 153 but it still climbs well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

WillWorkForTrail
    Maybe the GG Smash is an option for you?

Yeet so hard
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePilot1 View Post
    The new process looks awesome! I haven't ridden one though but Konas are bombproof. My 1998 stab has seen a bunch of DH races and freerider drops and still works well!

The new Nomad also looks really good and Bronson goes down well, about like the old process 153 but it still climbs well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Yea, im stoked about the new konas. I wish there were some more real world (not BC) reviews out there. Granted, they did just drop...

The nomad is waaaaaay too much bike for around here. Like I said, the 160mm strive is only on the list due to the shapeshifter tech, which swaps between 135 and 160mm travel at the push of a button.

The bronson looks nice. Seems like with SC bikes you pay a good chunk extra for that name though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Maybe the GG Smash is an option for you?
    Smash looks sick. I LOVE that you can tweak your build in too. Are there any respectable reviews out there? [disclaimer, I haven't looked]
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tims5377 View Post
    Yea, im stoked about the new konas. I wish there were some more real world (not BC) reviews out there. Granted, they did just drop...

The nomad is waaaaaay too much bike for around here. Like I said, the 160mm strive is only on the list due to the shapeshifter tech, which swaps between 135 and 160mm travel at the push of a button.

The bronson looks nice. Seems like with SC bikes you pay a good chunk extra for that name though.

Smash looks sick. I LOVE that you can tweak your build in too. Are there any respectable reviews out there? [disclaimer, I haven't looked]
    where are you riding in upstate? like ADK's, central, capital, catskills, or western?

if it was me a Smash or trail pistol would be the bike I would pick, maybe even the pedal head if I want to go hardtail. if you are looking to use this bike at bike parks the smash I think would be a little better but all of the GG bikes are made to be ridden hard and fast.

I have a megatrail so I can attest to the quality of the frames and customer service of Guerrilla Gravity. When I purchased my megatrail I custom picked everything from the handle bars down to the pedals.

but if you are still weary I would suggest the devinci troy, also a really great bike climbs well and with 140 rear travel I think it is a sweet spot for all around usability, have done some long epics on this as well as laps at whistler bike park (was a little under gunned on some of the rougher trails there but a different shock/ fork would fix this).

also everything I have heard from people that have ridden the evil bikes have loved them, but the amount of bearings in the pivot kind of sketch me out a little.

good luck bike hunting!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm on a 134 as well and agree with 2mtnz about 140mm being really good for all-around. You said you feel under gunned in places, it's probably the fork unless you've upgraded. If not that, then you must need more than 140mm and I'm jealous of your trails1
    oops I wasn't clipped in

Yeet so hard
    Quote Originally Posted by 2zmtnz View Post
    where are you riding in upstate? like ADK's, central, capital, catskills, or western?

if it was me a Smash or trail pistol would be the bike I would pick, maybe even the pedal head if I want to go hardtail. if you are looking to use this bike at bike parks the smash I think would be a little better but all of the GG bikes are made to be ridden hard and fast.

I have a megatrail so I can attest to the quality of the frames and customer service of Guerrilla Gravity. When I purchased my megatrail I custom picked everything from the handle bars down to the pedals.

but if you are still weary I would suggest the devinci troy, also a really great bike climbs well and with 140 rear travel I think it is a sweet spot for all around usability, have done some long epics on this as well as laps at whistler bike park (was a little under gunned on some of the rougher trails there but a different shock/ fork would fix this).

also everything I have heard from people that have ridden the evil bikes have loved them, but the amount of bearings in the pivot kind of sketch me out a little.
    I am in the Rochester area. The GG Smash is very appealing to me. I will have to look into the Troy. I like Evil - my buddy just got an insurgent - but the carbon is just too expensive. I would rather stick with AL and get a better build.

Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    I'm on a 134 as well and agree with 2mtnz about 140mm being really good for all-around. You said you feel under gunned in places, it's probably the fork unless you've upgraded. If not that, then you must need more than 140mm and I'm jealous of your trails1
    I have not upgraded the fork, and I do think it is the limiting factor. A lot of stiction, and I need to run really high pressures to keep it from diving. I have a few tokens in it as well. I think a 140 29 or 150 27.5 would be a pretty sweet spot for me.

That said, I was having a riot on my process last night. Until I took a hard digger and had to call for a ride home......
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I am in the Rochester area. The GG Smash is very appealing to me. I will have to look into the Troy. I like Evil - my buddy just got an insurgent - but the carbon is just too expensive. I would rather stick with AL and get a better build.

I have not upgraded the fork, and I do think it is the limiting factor. A lot of stiction, and I need to run really high pressures to keep it from diving. I have a few tokens in it as well. I think a 140 29 or 150 27.5 would be a pretty sweet spot for me.

That said, I was having a riot on my process last night. Until I took a hard digger and had to call for a ride home......
    for that area I would say 29er so the trail pistol or the smash, when I got to ride the trail pistol (120mm travel) it handled drops and jumps real well so I can only imagine what the 140mm smash is be capable of.

Yeet so hard
    Bumping this one up!

More research has opened my eyes a bit! I am still looking around a 140mm (ish) 29er. My current list is:

- Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    - SC Hightower LT
    - YT Jeffsy 29er
    - ???

What else should I be looking at? Anyone have real world experience on any of these?
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Bumping this one up!

More research has opened my eyes a bit! I am still looking around a 140mm (ish) 29er. My current list is:

- SC Hightower LT
    - YT Jeffsy 29er
    - ???

What else should I be looking at? Anyone have real world experience on any of these?
    I have not ridden one personally, but the new Transition Sentinel (160/140 travel) has a lot of good reviews coming out about it. Some interesting geometry (super slack head angle with a reduced offset fork) supposedly has it quite stable at speed while still being a capable climber. The GX Eagle build is right at the price you're looking to spend as well.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Bumping this one up!

- SC Hightower LT
    - YT Jeffsy 29er
    - ???

Check out the Canfield Toir (formerly Riot), 140mm travel, short chainstays, and modern geo. They're blowing out their 2017 frames for $1000 or $1100 if you want to go DVO Jade coil. You could add some sweet kit to it for well within your budget.

They don't build up as feathery bikes but they are super robust, efficient, fun, and an incredible value at the closeout price. Unofficially, it's supposedly boost compatible with a longer axle.

Other than the Riot, I really like that GG Smash too. Your list is pretty good though and you can't really go wrong with any of those bikes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk