mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Another clipless thread: Identical feel to platform

Just what everyone wanted to see, another clipless pedal thread. I have some specific inquiries that I was unable to get answered through the search function.

First off, I am not a newbie nor am I new to clipless pedals. This will be my 7th year mountain biking. The first 3 years were spent on SPD's and I had no problem using them and was fond of the advantages they offered. I am pretty systematic at developing my skill set so I had the realization that I was not properly riding my bike to get it to do the things I wanted. So I made the switch over to platform for the last 3 years (5.10's and Canfield crampons). My riding technique really progressed and I am a way better rider and manipulater of my bike now than I ever was with clipless (also due to more experience). I ride and race downhill regularly so I will probably stick with flats for that discipline.

For all mountain riding, I ride technical trails of upstate NY (SMBA & Moreau) and New England, I also want to race enduro seriously this summer. I am looking for a clipless pedal that feels identical to riding on platforms but has the advantage of being connected. By this, I mean I want to feel the entire platform under my foot, not a singular point of engagement. In my mind, this will still allow me to efficiently load and unload the bike. I also want the pedal to be biased towards the middle of my foot with the weight being transferred behind the ball of my foot. Any SPDs and corresponding shoes I've tried since have put me too far on my toes.

I need to find a combination of shoe and pedal that will give me this feel. Research has led me to the crank bros mallet 3 or dh in combination with either the Shimano am 45, 5.10 Maltese falcon, or the new giro chamber. any real world experiences with these, thoughts?

mtbr member
    I have the Mallets and Shimano am45 shoes and I love them. I switched to Mallets for the same reason, I wanted more pedal and it has been a pleasant transition. I think you will have trouble finding shoes that have the cleat farther back than the ball of the foot, it seems the cleat placement is pretty universal. I can tell the difference when I go back and forth between clipless and flats but I get used to it pretty fast. I know a lot of people also run the clipless pedals with a wider platform from Shimano (don't know the model).

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Subscribed...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i just picked up mallet dh pedals and giro chamber shoes. gonna ride saturday, will report back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonoma_MTB View Post
    i just picked up mallet dh pedals and giro chamber shoes. gonna ride saturday, will report back.
    Awesome, that is the combo I was thinking would give the best feel, looking forward to your review!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Rode 5.10s with mallots for a long time that is the best combo I found since I was looking for the same thing you described. I ride flats exclusively now and will stick with that unless I start doing races etc.
    Your big wheels are so awesome!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Mallets with Bontrager SSR shoes. Perfect for what I ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well I don't know what you ride, do you think you could elaborate on the feel of the pedal/shoe combination in regards to the specifics listed in my post?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    favorite that
    Best bike for you . Looking Best bike. See Best bike review Best bike

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If there was a shoe/pedal combo that offered the feel of flats while being clipped in I would go back to clips. I've run mallets, time z, and shimano DX with 661 launch and filter shoes. Nothing I've tired comes close to the feel flats offer. If the giro chamber, or five ten spd shoes offer better feel I would love to try them. The best spd feel I've tried was with mallets and 661 filters. Avoid the smaller mallets which are really like acids.

Time z's are bomber with the best clip mechanism I've used, but feel is poor; shimano DX's feel pretty good, but not as good as mallets. Unfortunately, mallets were the least durable for me, and the egg beater was my least favorite clip mechanism. I would still go back to them because feel is more important than anything else to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    When you talk about feel, is it the engagement being clipped in feel, or the feel of the platform feeling like flats feel?

I too am a long time flats user then switched to AM45s and DX pedals. Moved on to XT trails and awaiting for my Time XROCS (first time to try TIME) Hopefully it would feel good.

I love how the platform feels on the DX pedals but I just love the engagement feel of the XTs.

mtbr member
    Why not just take a dremel or something like it and extend the opening for the screws that hold the cleat further back on your shoes?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Here's some great info about setting up your spd shoes to come as close to flats as possible.

https://vimeo.com/30128286
    Last edited by slimat99; 04-05-2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: link didn't work

Greystoke
    I tend to swap between some well used DX Shimano M647 pedals (I prefer over the new XT's) Spank Spikes & Canfield crampons.
    The Mallet DH looks good on paper but no tension adjustment & past reliability issues leaves it on the shelf for me.

The DX's would be a winner with pins or adapt the Mallet DH platform with a selection of pins.
    The video on getting the cleats a little further back ...spot on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Here's some great info about setting up your spd shoes to come as close to flats as possible.

https://vimeo.com/30128286
    Thanks for the video!

Anyone ever done this? Does the plate that the cleat screws into just slide back further?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Sorry for not answering early. My english is not too good, since it is not my first language... so I am gonna try my best to explain the specifics. I literally ride what you can call a hybrid between an AM rig and an XC one. It is a 2006 Trance with 4" travel. I have a X Fusion Velvet fork, which I use the 110mm setp up while climbing and the 140mm while descending. None of the trails here are very gnarly or rocky. Most of the places I ride are XC loops. Some of them have choppy rock gardens or steep DH sections. So I wanted the clipless efficiency to climb and the flat pedals stability while descending. The only way you can ride this type of pedals, is using SPD shoes that doesn't have a rigid sole like XC ones. The mallets have an eggbeater type of clipless set up with a flat pedal surrounding them. Eggbeaters are pretty nice clipless pedals in muddy conditions, because you can reach for the clip and get clipped pretty easily regardless of the position they are. The Bontrager SSR is a type of tennis with an SPD set up that you can position in the ball of your foot. The sole is made out of hard rubber and doesn't feel too rigid like XC shoes, but it is more rigid than regular tennis shoes. Hope this answers your question.
    Last edited by cerrogordo; 04-07-2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: words

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've been on Time Z's with Mavic SPD shoes for a couple years, bullet proof pedal, but no feel of a flat and heavy. The only advantage for me with these, is if I have to un-clip for a dab in the rocks or corner, you have more to pedal on if you can't get clipped back in immediately.

I just bought the new Mallett DH pedals and a set of 5-10 Maltese Falcons, and am impressed after one ride. definitely more feel from this pedal/shoe combo for me. The shoes are comfortable and when unclipped the pedals/pins offer good grip.

One note, the Maltese Falcons came with a section of the sole glued down over the SPD plate that took some coaxing with pliers to peel off and I had to use a razor blade on one of the shoes to trim a small edge off the shoe so it would release smoother, no big deal.

This was on my Trek Fuel, full supsension in all mountain and some cross country riding.

Matt

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks Matt- about the falcons, is the cleat mounting location pretty standard to other clipless style shoes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Here's a pic, it might be slightly farther back, but very similar to normal SPD cleat placement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another clipless thread: Identical feel to platform-20130407_154457_resized.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Does the cleat rub the ground while walking on the Falcons?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Its just about flush.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another clipless thread: Identical feel to platform-20130407_195814_resized.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i rode my mallet dh/ giro chamber combo for the first time on saturday. it was nothing like riding platform pedals. pretty much felt just like small clipless pedals with the advantage of having a place to put your foot if you come out of your pedals in a technical section and dont have time to clip in.

op, i'm not sure this is the combo you are looking for, though im sure there is something you could do with the cleat placement to get it closer to that platform feeling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Bummer, I was banking on this being the money combo...thanks for your honest input!

bikerbert

Teva is putting out a shoe soon that you can mount a cleat to. They look pretty cool.

Paired with the Mallets, and I bet it's a great combo.

dwt
    mtbr member

Best value pedal IMO, Shimano M 530

Another clipless thread: Identical feel to platform-imageuploadedbytapatalk1366464461.697300.jpg

"I ride my bike to ride my bike"- Zen proverb

Posted via iPhone
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.