Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Annoying bike shop

I went into a bike shop in my small town today. I bought some headset spacers...and noticed an electronic weight deal so I weighed my Turner Spot. It was 31 lbs. Then, some mechanic said, "Wow, we are selling Ibis Mojo's that weigh 22 lbs." Hmm. I told him he left the part out that such a bike would have skinny tires, the lightest fork out there, etc. It would barely be rideable. But, I was annoyed because these bozo's define a bike based solely on its weight. Sheesh! I have no ego regarding my bike and don't need strokes. It is a freakin' bike! I swear bike shops keep me buying stuff from internet stores...

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Well some people can never say good things about stuff other than their own...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I went into a bike shop in my small town today. I bought some headset spacers...and noticed an electronic weight deal so I weighed my Turner Spot. It was 31 lbs. Then, some mechanic said, "Wow, we are selling Ibis Mojo's that weigh 22 lbs." Hmm. I told him he left the part out that such a bike would have skinny tires, the lightest fork out there, etc. It would barely be rideable. But, I was annoyed because these bozo's define a bike based solely on its weight. Sheesh! I have no ego regarding my bike and don't need strokes. It is a freakin' bike! I swear bike shops keep me buying stuff from internet stores...

Jaybo
    hahah I've had people tell me that with my downhill bike (38 lbs at the time) compare to an xc hardtail. I just laughed at the guy and and told him I'd break that bike like a twig.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    ........... Ibis Mojo's that weigh 22 lbs."
    Could there ever be a more perfect example for the term "useless"?

mbtr member

Jaybo
    you don't need to get all defensive and post it on the internet.... just admit you're jealous and move on.

Custom User Title
    That is pretty funny. Most people around where I live base the worth of a bike by picking it up and saying 'wow this is light' or 'this is heavy'. Kinda like if it is light it must have cost more and therefore a better bike.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

squish is good
    The problem is most bike techs only know what their shop told them. There is the rare, well informed bike tech from time to time but for the most part they are a silly breed of cyclist. My local shop owner thinks Horst links are the only suspension worthy of being on a MTB. He always tries to tell me I should sell my Reign and get an Enduro because they pedal sooo much better. Oh Fred, he's been drinking the spesh cool-aid for too long.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah that spesh pedals like crap compared to my Marin.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

same all over

i went to get some co2 cartridges for my pump at a shop in los gatos

the older salesperson was trying to sell me an ellsworth. i told him that i just bought an intense, he did nothing but bad mouth intense, which is kinda of unprofessional and let me know what a jerk he is. rather that stand there and waste my time, i just left and promised myself never to go there again.

there are plenty of better bikeshops that offer valuable information and services, like trailhead in san jose and performance in mtn view

dont be down on bikeshops, just dont patronize the ones run by jerks

zaskar 1

Elitest thrill junkie

Jaybo
    Did he have one there? I would have loved to put it on the scale. (then talk about how it was set up as an XC race bike and that I don't XC race)
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

local bike shop

yeah

i think he has a scale there, but my point was that if you are trying to sell someone
    on something, you should tell them the positive attributes not be negative
    and try and knock some other product unless there is something defective or a flawed
    design. this turkey was just knocking intense, and had no technical input, he just claimed that ellsworth is better.

better than what?

weight on a bike does matter, but it is not the only factor indetermining what is the best ride for you.

i think those ellsworths weigh about the same as the intense bikes

zaskar1

Big Mac
    Well, with all due respect, the Ibis is the best all mountain bike made. Period.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Psssh, that guy must not know how amazing turners are.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ibis mojo is the bike of the year for 2008

it seemed different coming down the hill when i did the demo. i would have to ride it again to determine if it is better than my intense spider. it does have 6 inches of travel verses the spiders 4 in, which would make it handle the bumps more comfortably.

it will definitely be on my short list if i get another bike

i hear the blur lt is something to consider

right now for me intense rules

zaskar1

bike rider
    He was correct in pointing out that 31 lb is heavy for an AM bike but he should have said, "We've been selling Mojos with a similarly capable build that weigh 25 lbs." You opened yourself up to criticism of your bike's weight by using the scale at a shop that sells a brand that competes with Turner and wins at least in the weight game. You are correct that to get a Mojo SL down to 22 requires an XC race build that doesn't compliment a 5.5" frame.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    Well, with all due respect, the Ibis is the best all mountain bike made. Period.
    lololololool

Good bike, perhaps rides fine, but definitely not "period". There are many people every bike won't work for, and Ibis has its share of riders the Mojo won't work for, just like every other one out there.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    31lb is a perfecly respectable weight for all mountain, anyone can add an extra 1.5" of travel to an xc bike, not saying the mojo doesn't rock, but to make it comparable to jaybo's spot you need to add at least 3lbs of tire, fork, rims, and pedals.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    He was correct in pointing out that 31 lb is heavy for an AM bike
    Except that it's not.

but he should have said, "We've been selling Mojos with a similarly capable build that weigh 25 lbs."
    Except that it's not true.

Custom User Title
    I break stuff on a 33 pound "all mountain" bike. I would fold, anything much lighter than that, in half after a couple rides.

I still climb with the XC guys on my 6.6. They can't decend with me. Well except for some of the good riders around here. Then it really doesn't matter what they are on they are just fast and skillfull.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Big Mac

Uhm, no! Your wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    lololololool

Good bike, perhaps rides fine, but definitely not "period". There are many people every bike won't work for, and Ibis has its share of riders the Mojo won't work for, just like every other one out there.
    You must be mistaken. I have read on many occasions, on several forums, that the Ibis is THE best all mountain bike. Period. It must be so.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    You must be mistaken. I have read on many occasions, on several forums, that the Ibis is THE best all mountain bike. Period. It must be so.
    Yes JC clearly mbm is correct. Everyone knows the Ibis is the most bombest most super fantastic bike ever.

Bike good, work bad.

local trails rider
    But, I was annoyed because these bozo's define a bike based solely on its weight. Sheesh!
    A shop sells what people want to buy (unless they manage to tell people what they want).

I cannot imagine where they got the idea that people would want lighter bikes...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    A shop sells what people want to buy (unless they manage to tell people what they want).

I cannot imagine where they got the idea that people would want lighter bikes...
    you're missing the point.

a 22lb mojo is NOT an AM bike. it has a bit more travel, but if you ride it like you would an AM bike, it will flex where you don't want it to (wheels, fork), it wont grip well (tires), it probably wont descend as well (fork, shock), and best of all, parts will start breaking (possibly catastrophically) because they can't take the abuse. You also don't get the proper geometry you want with a small light weight fork.

If he had said: "check out this mojo build thats pretty much the same as yours, but weighs 3 lbs less" that would be different. A 22 lb mojo build is never going to be anywhere near similar to a 31 lb 5 spot build. They're different bikes. Look at what happened to me if you need an even more hilarious example of somebody just not knowing what they were talking about. In this case, I suspect it was a mix of the guy being an idiot and a jackass, where in my case the guy was just dumb.

At any rate, it is quantifiably the case that the mojo is no longer the best AM bike. The Santa Cruz blt2 just won bike of the year in bike magazine. If the guy there had said "check out this blt2 that weighs 22 lbs" you would have been obligated to get it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    He was correct in pointing out that 31 lb is heavy for an AM bike but he should have said, "We've been selling Mojos with a similarly capable build that weigh 25 lbs." You opened yourself up to criticism of your bike's weight by using the scale at a shop that sells a brand that competes with Turner and wins at least in the weight game. You are correct that to get a Mojo SL down to 22 requires an XC race build that doesn't compliment a 5.5" frame.

Right. Haha... with my weenie setup (skinnier tires, etc.) my AM bike is still just under 32 pounds. In it's most comfortable setup, it is probably 33-ish. While it might be capable, I would even say that my 42 pound Banshee is All-Mountain, in addition to being my DH/FR bike. Unless your idea of AM is riding smooth trails with just a bit more cush for comfort, 31 pounds is so very far from being heavy. The brilliant thing about AM is that it can cover so very much. Perhaps the best way to look at "All Mountain" is that it is about enjoying the whole ride, both the ups and the downs, and that is doesn't need to be competitive or done at a "race" pace to be fun. However, there are even some AM oriented races (Super D anyone?) for those of us who want to give that a try. So very many options, and all of the involve two wheeled riding offroad, hard to go wrong.

On the original topic: Weighing my bike in shops can be fun, I've surprised people with both my AM bike and my "Dh/Fr" bike. Once was the shop owner (who I know), as he was expecting my AM bike to be heavier than his... But even then, that was my bike weighing in at just under 32 pounds, and bike is pretty darn nice too, so I would say your 31 pound bike should be a right rocket! I also get heck from various people for my Banshees... and how heavy they must be... Good times! Though I've digressed again... that shop certainly wouldn't impress me. Possibly the mech was just excited about the Mojo, but mentioning a bike simply to "beat" yours is lame. Especially when the bike has no similarities. If he had said, "hey, if you are concerned with the weight, I might be able to give you some tips to get it down" then that would have been nice, even if you hadn't wanted to drop the weight at all. As it is, don't bother going back then, it's a shame that your best service comes from buying online.

mtbr member
    who cares? go to a different shop if you felt insulted. if the shop guy is that stupid why shop there? why post this?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast