Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    s62
    mtbr member

Ankles and wrists

So, I'm pretty new to the sport. I've got a really nice bike now, and lots of protective gear, but I still suck. I hope I'm getting better, but that takes lots of riding and lots of falling.
    Here's my concern: I'm a drummer. Have been for 15 years. It's the single most important activitiy in my life. This makes MTB especially dangerous, b/c breaking stuff = no drummer. Bummer. So I've got loads of protective gear. Rockgardn Landing Zone shin and knee and elbow gear, rockgardn FATE carbon gloves, bell bellistic helmet, fox flux helmet, etc., etc. But there doesn't seem to be much stuff out there for wrists and ankles.
    And wouldn't you know it, those are the first two things I've f'ed up in my wrecks so far. Bent my ankle (can't walk right), and landed on my hands, seriously hurting my right wrist (from the joint back into the bones). This stuff is a bit debilating. I don't mind getting hurt, but is there any protection or technique to avoid injuring the crucial joints? As it is, I have no lay off riding for a couple of days
    09 Specialized Enduro SL Expert
    w/ E150 and Command Post

conjoinicorned
    or technique to avoid injuring the crucial joints?
    don't fall....

seriously though, if drumming is that important, you should be riding with that in the back of your mind all the time. don't take stupid risks. there are wrist and ankle braces you can get (661 makes some IIRC) that may help.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Also, 5.10 High Impact shoes have more ankle protection than low shoes. They seem to support sideways movement somewhat, and definitely have some armor affect.

mtbr member
    if you dont feel like buying ankle and wrist guards you can just as easily go to the cvs and buy some athletic tape and tape up your ankles you can acutually tape right over the shoe if you wanted to. Its not hard to do just look up online, the key to doing it is rip the tape in pieces when applying not just wrap one continuous piece of tape around you ankle. Are you in school? if so just go to the trainers office they'll show you how to do it

This may to much work but it depends how much your riding. If its once a month then give it a shot i wouldnt want to tape if was riding 3-4 times a week...pain in the A

good luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm a drummer. Learn to roll out of falls and not to land in akward positions. Its much better to have your entire forearm absorb the impact than your small little wrist. Remember Pressure=Force/Area, spread the area out and the pressure on a given part of body is less.

s62
    mtbr member
    good suggestions, thanks all... I'm not at all against wrist and ankle guards, but I'm afraid they won't fit under my gear. I'm already wearing the Rockgardn FATE gloves, so I don't know if the wrist stuff will go between or under that and my RG forearm stuff. As for the ankle stuff, I don't know if that stuff fits comfortably under trailrunners. I'm wearing very supportive Vasque Blurs. The tape is a super idea. I though maybe ACE bandages might help, but I'll have a go with the tape first. I do ride often, though, usually 5 to 7 times a week... pretty much everyday. We'll see how much time tape adds to my "gear up" routine.
    w/ E150 and Command Post

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

wrist braces

What I use to ptotect my wrists are pro-tec "street" skating wristguards, available at places like sportmart for twelve bucks. but you jhave to modify them a little. you have to remove the palm side plastic insert (or you cant grip the bars) and it also helps to carefully, with an exacto blade, to cut out some of the the fake leather on the palm side (but not the stretchy stuff behind it! and cut INSIDE the stitches) so it wont' be too many layers on your palm when your padded glove are underneath them. They come in different sizes, try them on in the store with your glove on to get the right size. They've saved my wrists many times, much much better than those crappy 661 wrist wraps, which fell apart immediately. They are kinda long, so if you want to wear elbow guards too use short ones like Fox Comp.

Enlightened
    Pro-tecs. That's a good idea, might try that.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    661 makes wrist braces for biking. Check their website.

s62
    mtbr member
    good idea about the pro-tecs... I sorta thought it was the palm part that made them effective, but if it works, I'm on it. Flimsy "sports wraps" like the "lite" 661's aren't much help, and their bigger ones look too big. Plus, cheap is nice. I hate to **** up my joints! Bones are one thing... joints another.
    w/ E150 and Command Post

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kbdub
    I'm a drummer. Learn to roll out of falls and not to land in akward positions. .
    5 or 7 stroke ????

Seriously, you shouldn't be falling off that much. Sounds like the skill to injury ratio is in need of adjustment. Spend some money on a good training book or a mtb course as no amount of wrist protection will save you from a broken wrist and kbdub is right about learning to fall correctly.

Any bands we should know about ??????

s62
    mtbr member
    I wouldn't say I'm falling too much. But I usually crash about once a ride... I usually find technical stuff that's over my head (a lot of it is right now), and I push through it anyway. Usually it works out, but sometimes I fall. I'm averaging about 1 bust for every full ride I do (6-12 miles of technical single track). My wrist got boinked a few days ago because I was going down some oddly spaced rocks, causing my suspension to rebound in an evil way. Started pogoing, and then my bike decided to respond by going side to side. At the end of it all, I feel over and to the side of my bike, meeting the ground w/ palms and knees.
    These things happen, I figure. If you don't crash, you probably aren't riding hard. Honestly, I'm not great yet. But for having been riding a month or so, I'd say I'm pretty damn good. I eat up most of the rockgardens and root systems I've been on, I can do small drops, and I'm getting faster and faster on the climb and DH. Dunno.
    Bands? Ion Dissonance, Cryptopsy, The Bad Plus. Bands I'm in? Severed Offering, .357, Lammoth
    w/ E150 and Command Post

s62
    mtbr member
    Oh, and I've got several mountain biking books on the way, hopefully helping me read and learn some new techniques, etc.
    w/ E150 and Command Post

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by s62
    I wouldn't say I'm falling too much. But I usually crash about once a ride... I usually find technical stuff that's over my head (a lot of it is right now), and I push through it anyway. Usually it works out, but sometimes I fall. I'm averaging about 1 bust for every full ride I do (6-12 miles of technical single track). My wrist got boinked a few days ago because I was going down some oddly spaced rocks, causing my suspension to rebound in an evil way. Started pogoing, and then my bike decided to respond by going side to side. At the end of it all, I feel over and to the side of my bike, meeting the ground w/ palms and knees.
    These things happen, I figure. If you don't crash, you probably aren't riding hard. Honestly, I'm not great yet. But for having been riding a month or so, I'd say I'm pretty damn good. I eat up most of the rockgardens and root systems I've been on, I can do small drops, and I'm getting faster and faster on the climb and DH. Dunno.
    Bands? Ion Dissonance, Cryptopsy, The Bad Plus. Bands I'm in? Severed Offering, .357, Lammoth
    Damn, no speakers at work so cant check your band. Saw the SO video on youtube, being a drummer myself I have to check your grooves.

I crash just about every ride, but not usually on rocky technical stuff. Its usually the softer, wetter landings on UK soil. Went over the bars as I teetered on the edge of a 3 foot drop the other week, trying to avoid the deep bog below me..........it was that feeling of inertia, when you suddenly know there is little you can do to stop the obvious. I summersaulted out of my clips and landed fine...........then the bike landed on top of me

wuss
    The best way to learn how to fall is to start practising a martial art that has a lot of throwing. I found that in both Monkey style Kung Fu and Hapkido. I'm sure Judo, Aikido and Jiu Jitsu (to name a few) would also teach you how to fall.

I really don't think it's enough to understand the mechanics of falling down, you also need to have it as enough of a reflex that it comes automatically. I still don't think I'm that good, but I didn't train for especially long (though a few times falling has showed me that at least I learned something).

banned
    Damn... I'm a mountain biker and if my wrists and ankles get messed up, I can't ride.... Bummer.

But I don't wear pads, and I don't cry over milk that isn't spilled... I don't fret over it either.

Crazy old world.

mtbr member
    s62,

Last year I endoed at about 20 mph, landed on my left wrist fracturing it in 5 pieces. Long story short I had surgery where they inserted a shiny metal plate and attached it with 9 screws. Recovery time was 4 to 5 months (it was rather painful just to bear weight on that hand in the sitting position).

My recommendation to you is NEVER to land on your hands when go down. Absorb the hit with your forearm(s).

Needless to say I didn't quit riding. I currently use the 661 wrist brace over my biking gloves. Still I know that if I hit the ground with the hand again it will be rather painful.

s62
    mtbr member
    Yeah, I think I'm going to just have to practice landing on my forearms. An injury like that would be detrimental. I've taken a few years of ninjutsu and hopkido, so I know about break falls, rolling into falls, etc., but that's extremely hard to take into account when you're falling off a bike. More often than not, the bike is tangle up w/ me, or I've cleared it too late.
    Oh, and the sound on that SO video is terrible. Check out the .357 video (search band .357 or grind 357). The quality on that one is good. The drumming isn't uber-hard, just standard grind stuff, but it's fun. Unfortunately, the songs on SO myspace were recorded before me, and they songs are sorta standard death metal. I joined after they got super technical. I'll send you an mp3 if ya like.
    w/ E150 and Command Post

wuss
    I was just riding with this freak a few weeks ago, and he was trying to show me how to raise the rear wheel in the air. I think he got a bit too exited, and raised it so high he flipped over the front.

I've never seen anything like his save though (in the real world anyway), while the bike was already flying upside down he uncliped and did a soft roll in between big sharp stones. He did not even get a scratch. I was amazed, I would probably have broken both my wrists.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by s62
    Yeah, I think I'm going to just have to practice landing on my forearms. An injury like that would be detrimental. I've taken a few years of ninjutsu and hopkido, so I know about break falls, rolling into falls, etc., but that's extremely hard to take into account when you're falling off a bike. More often than not, the bike is tangle up w/ me, or I've cleared it too late.
    Oh, and the sound on that SO video is terrible. Check out the .357 video (search band .357 or grind 357). The quality on that one is good. The drumming isn't uber-hard, just standard grind stuff, but it's fun. Unfortunately, the songs on SO myspace were recorded before me, and they songs are sorta standard death metal. I joined after they got super technical. I'll send you an mp3 if ya like.
    Yep, send me an mp3. Im still learning to drum (2 years), 3 of us are starting to get together more regularly. Starting with a couple of meatpuppets numbers (suprisingly ) and moving onto QOTSA etc with some of our own compositions along the way

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    When I started doing the technical stuff, I would put elastic bandages onto my wrists. They weigh and cost next to nothing. To provide protection, the bandage should be wrapped tight around the wrist. It is 1 wrist actually, as, from my experience, if you endo and your position is right, you always fall onto the same side. Now I do without the bandages. Instead, I always use the "behind the saddle" position where endo is possible and hold on to the bars up to the bitter end. As long, as my hands are on the bars, they are in little danger - with the bar ends giving additional protection.

mtbr member
    i ride with this 661 ankle brace ever since i sprained my ankle in jan.

s62
    mtbr member
    Does it fit comfortably under your shoes? How tight are you lacing up?
    I haven't thought about that idea of staying behind the bars, hell or high water, xenon. That actually makes good sense. Not that anyone likes to endo much, but I tend to try to clear my bike on crashes... I'm usually good at it, but that's what messed up my ankle... the next time I endo, I may just hold on and see what happens And again, I'm going for landing on my forearms, as they're large and are protected by my Rockgardn stuff...
    w/ E150 and Command Post

mtbr member
    the material on the brace is fairly thin so it does not change the shoe fit much at all. I lace it up so its fairly tight, but not enough to cause pain or discomfort. It adds a lot of support and is well worth the $25 cost

mtbr member
    dont trust the braces that you get from the department store or even the 661 brace. ive had major ankle problems from skateboarding and other sports, so i would know when i say the best route is to go to a physiotherapist or doctor and get them to recommend or sell you a good brace.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast