mtbr member
    Sep 2013

AMHT: Kona Steely vs. Specialized P1

I'm just getting into all-mountain biking and need a tougher bike than my wimpy XC thing. My list is huge so I'm starting with deciding between the Steely and P1. I also will still do some cross-country, and maybe some dirt-jumping and light freeride and downhill stuff. Also want to be able to wheelie/manual easily. I'm about 120lb and 5'6". Specifically I want a 26in steel hardtail with around 100 to 140mm travel on the front fork, and preferably a lockout feature. Shortest wheelbase and chainstay as possible. I think the Steely is pretty cool looking and from reading reviews up to what I need it for. There aren't so many reviews for the P1 though so I thought I'd ask you guys. Price isn't really an issue now; I'll worry about that later. Thank a lot for and info!

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    First of all, the P1 is not a steel frame, and why would you want a steel frame anyway?
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    First of all, the P1 is not a steel frame, and why would you want a steel frame anyway?
    Because it has a better ride quality than aluminum and it's easier to repair if you break it somehow.

OP, The P1 is more of a recreational XC bike whereas the Steely is actually meant for some abuse. However, you still need to narrow down what you want because the things that make a bike great for dirt jumping will make it suck for downhill and vice versa.

P.S. You could have posted this in your first thread: New Bike: Steely, Chameleon, Crush . . . Opinions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I know the P1 is aluminum, but I just thought it was kind of cool. It's pretty much off my list now. I also realize that categories of biking don't usually mix well. DJ really isn't a priority, I might take it to the jumps twice a month. Mostly I'm focused on AM kind of stuff. I started the new thread because I thought Id get more results under all-mountain, where it should have been in the first place. Now that the P1 is out, Im adding Santa Cruz Chameleon. How is it compared to the Steely?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Chameleon is a great choice. The P1 is a hard core DJ bike not a trail bike. Don't consider it for trail riding.

mtbr member
    yah, get the Chameleon
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I know some people who use single speed DJ bikes (like P2's) as trail bikes. It is not for everybody but they like how they ride more than regular trail bikes because of their agility, simplicity and all the abuse they can take. Also, they can be really fun for downhill (which may not be fast) just jumping and manualling everything. It will be fun but be warned, you will need to be really fit to hold the pace of other bikes.