Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AM or XC?

AM or XC?

Can someone please explain the difference to me?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Are you taking the piss?
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_g33k
    Can someone please explain the difference to me?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I have been out of the loop for to long I guess....

Hi!!!
    All-Mountain is much more fun than Cross Country!!! That's the only difference you need to know.

ALL-MOUNTAIN!!!!!!
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Ok, for those who really interested and still confused, here is explanation:

AM = http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/
    XC = http://forums.mtbr.com/xc-racing-training/

As you can see it's realy easy to get confused, they are pretty much the same except 115 vs. 59, go figure.

For those who still can't feel the difference, please look for more details here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-corner/

Happy riding.

mtbr member
    xc(cross country) you generally go from point a to point b as fast as you can.
    xc bikes are usually hardtails (front suspension only) with 3-4 inches travel or full suspenion (suspenision front and back) with 3-4 inches of travel front and rear.

am(all mountain) you ride more technical trails, go of jumps, and drops.
    am bikes are usualy full suspension with around 6 inches of travel btu some have hard tails too

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If someone curious about equipment, then please follow these links:

XC = http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...94517#poststop
    AM = Mean All-Mountain Bigots!

banned
    "All mountain is heavy duty cross country.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... It's all in the legs...

AM = hairy, unshaved legs that will take you to the top of the hill and back down again.

XC = silky smooth shaved legs that will take you to the top of the hill and back down again.

-> SickLines.com <-
    The trails that you ride on an AM bike are usually very similar to a XC bike but more playing around usually and more about the fun of riding moreso than racing/training.

AM bikes have more travel, slacker geometry, heavier bikes, little burlier depending on the finesse of the ride. They're like a lay-z-boy...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    All Mountain means you would rather yeild to the guy coming down the hill instead of the guy coming up the hill or maybe that's just me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    ALL-Mountain is for guys who don't have the balls for freeriding or the fitness for xc.

JUST KIDDING!

Hard to draw a line-xc bikers, bikes and trails have really pushed the limits over the last few years--The Hairiest downhill portions of South Mountain in AZ seem to me to be more than xc--is this the heart of All-mountain?? Though, xc skills are pretty handy getting up to National, now aren't they.

The confusion between xc/all-mountain and the sometime rancor of definition is in part due to the fact that there are two sources of ALL_MOUNTAIN categorization. The Bike Industry defining a product line and actual Mountain Bikers defining their type of riding.

The Industry seems to want to put a hard-line, equipment based definition on All-mountain (for reasons that need no elaboration), All mountain riders know that regardless of type of bike used, they seem to be engaging in something slightly divergent from the biking ethos of their hard core racing buddies.

That's my take anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Just seems to me these days that XC is all about superlightweight bikes and racing. I know there is a recreational side to XC too, but a lot of these guys are all about speed and punishing themselves too I know, I have a few friends like that and I rarely ride with them anymore.

I see AM as being less speed and more fun oriented. Most trails I ride would be fine on a lightweight XC race bike, often quicker overall, but harder work and ultimately less fun (or should I say MY definition of fun). So I ride a sturdy 6x6 AM trailbike and have loads of fun, no racing, no trying to beat anyone. The group I ride with think the same way and ride similar bikes.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

Monkey
    What about those who go as fast as possible for as long as possible, but also stop to try technical sections over and over and over... with a good portions of jumps, drops, bridges, steep chutes and drop offs....

Would that make us All Mountain XC'ers??

As Nat from IMBA once told me... its all mountain biking.

Hi!!!
    You have to live All-Mountain to truly understand it's definition.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozz
    What about those who go as fast as possible for as long as possible, but also stop to try technical sections over and over and over... with a good portions of jumps, drops, bridges, steep chutes and drop offs....

That's just crazy talk! What do you take two or three bikes with you to accomplish that?! Crazy talk I says!
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Motion activated
    Weeeee I'm having so much fun.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    ALL-Mountain is for guys who don't have the balls for freeriding or the fitness for xc.

That defines me pretty well!!

So let's paraphrase:

XC:

• Shaves legs

• Less then 6" ... (travel)

• Little nuts
    • Weight Weenie

• Training for racing

• Speed/time concious

• Thinks about things like Cadence

• Drinks water in the parking lot

AM:
    • Hairy Legs

• Heavy bikes

• At least 6" ... (travel)

• All Balls

• 3 1/2 hours for 12 mi....who gives a sh1t

• Riding so they can drink more beer w/o gaining weight

• Thinks about things like that chick that just rode by

• Drinks beer in the parking lot

Jk...on a serious note I think I get it. Seems like XC guys are more in the "lifestyle" and are training, concerned about weight and speed. Therefore super technical stuff doesn't really fit in. Nor does the heavy bike that makes the ride comfy. The AM guys are out just for a good time...to ride. Who cares how heavy your bike is or how long it takes to get to the top cuz your just out to have a good time. I guess I fall into the AM range. I think about speed and getting in shape but for no reason other than for me. I could care less about winning a race. I just want to have fun and hang out with cool people. If my new handlebars are heavier then the ones I have now, but are more comfortable...who cares. I guess I will get stronger going up the hill now, or on a positve note, I will go faster down the hill now that I weigh more!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    AM:
    • Hairy Legs

• Heavy bikes

• All Balls

At first I took your question as troll went for fishing, especially after all ugly discussions on the same subject that flooded this forums. But now I'm quite impress, this is the best list to define AM I have seen, and no kidding here.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    All Mountain describes a bike ride that includes usually some X/C riding and usually some steep climbs and descents up and down all or most of a MOUNTAIN and not usaually on a road ( this eliminates TDF mountain stage)

X/C describes a bike ride that includes some flats, hills and some climbs and decents, not normally including a large chunk of a mountain often in a timed race seting.

Some bikes are better suited to one or the other styles of riding, and hence pick up that designation.

I like riding my X/C bike on All Mountain rides because it is easier to push up the steep sections and still has enough frame stength and squish to take the ride down.

Apologies to those who ride All Mountain when ther are not in the mountians??

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I thought an AM pipe was a steep trail with High sides going down a mountain.

So what do I know?

Where is my mind?
    So let's paraphrase:

XC:

• Shaves legs

• Less then 6" ... (travel)

• Little nuts
    • Weight Weenie

• Training for racing

• Speed/time concious

• Thinks about things like Cadence

• Drinks water in the parking lot

AM:
    • Hairy Legs

• Heavy bikes

• All Balls

Jk...on a serious note I think I get it. Seems like XC guys are more in the "lifestyle" and are training, concerned about weight and speed. Therefore super technical stuff doesn't really fit in. Nor does the heavy bike that makes the ride comfy. The AM guys are out just for a good time...to ride. Who cares how heavy your bike is or how long it takes to get to the top cuz your just out to have a good time. I guess I fall into the AM range. I think about speed and getting in shape but for no reason other than for me. I could care less about winning a race. I just want to have fun and hang out with cool people. If my new handlebars are heavier then the ones I have now, but are more comfortable...who cares. I guess I will get stronger going up the hill now, or on a positve note, I will go faster down the hill now that I weigh more!

I thought XC was 4 inches of travel. For example Blur XC and Titus RacerX
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    ok, everyone talks about how XC is less dangerous, and how AM requires bigger BALLS but that really isnt the case, because when you hit the trails, they are not categorized as "Cross Country" or "All Mountain". Both type riders hit the same exact trail while still hitting every curb, climb, and drop... The only difference is that XC involves a state of mind that makes you worry about Time, Endurance, weight, Bike weight, and eating/drinking habbits, but thats only so you could ride better/faster next time over than the last. All Mountain has to come accross the same exact climb, drop... just that they like to "get more air" and perfect that more extreme part of the trail by doing over, and over without worrying about "time" "endurance" and things of that nature.

So, the differences really dont have to do with how you look, or ride because in the long run every XC'er just halled ass by where that AM'er keeps on busting his ass over and over. Its just the way you practice, and worry about... whether it's " I gotta beat yesterdays time" or "oh ****, i landed that better than i did last week"

This could all be just my opinion, but thats how i personally see a difference.

large member
    I can answer this thread in two pictures

AM Rider=

XC Rider=
    Last edited by mud'n'sweat; 07-21-2006 at 04:42 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast