mtbr member

AM UST specific rear tire rec's

The other tubless specific tire threads in the AM forum are a few years old, and the options have changed and are abundant.

I think for AM, finding the right rear is more important since the right mix of cornering knobs, climbing traction, and weight/ rolling resistance makes a big difference. ie: for front, just throw on a big minion and be done with it.

Looking in the 2.3 range. Post up about any UST rear tires you like, and perhaps we can assist each other in this most vital purchase decision

my input is for the Spechy Eskars 2.3 UST with Grid tech:

basically, these were great but the center tread wore out a little faster than expected.
    awesome cornering nobs, great climbing traction when not worn out.

when worn out the climbing is still pretty good until youre trying to get up over that wet step at the top of a steep section.

never punctured. some cracks in the outside casing are showing now but I'm sure theyre just on the outside layer because they have not caused any issue or leak

not great in mud, just OK to OK-. performed fine in wet but not muddy

last two big PROs are: pretty fast rolling feel and reasonably light

only reasons i'm considering something else are A) wet, leafy season is on deck and B) there are lots of options.

that was longer then necessary (but comon, needlessly belaboring bike issues is a great part of the sport) but thanks to anyone who posts up some good info. i think if i dont get any help ill just get a 2.3 minion and make it work, although prefer UST specific for my stans flow rim

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    best were spec chunder 2.3 2bliss, which they no longer make. My buddy has the clutch 2bliss 2.3, so far so good. Others: Nevegal 2.3 ust, Schwalbe hans dampf, big bettty, or fat albert. Geax dhea tnt, or sturdy ust. Ive used all of these except the hans dampf, all worked well.

mtbr member
    Lots of info on this over in the Wheels and TIRES forum...

Just sayin,

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Lots of info on this over in the Wheels and TIRES forum...

Just sayin,

G MAN
    i did do a search in that forum, but perhaps didnt dig around enough

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I like the Bontrager FR3 Team Issue. Very sturdy, fairly fast rolling, high volume, reasonably priced.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    May 2011
    WTB makes most of their popular models in a UST or TCS version.

WTB » Products - Tires - All Mountain

mtbr member
    I ran the Armadillo casing Eskars for awhile, I liked them quite a bit. I've been on 2.35 minion dhfs (with tubes) for the last few months, which are rad trailbike tires. waiting on the soon-to-be-released 2.3 Specialized Butcher Control (DHF clone) which is supposed to weigh in around ~750g and is tubeless ready. in the meantime I've got some 2.35 LUST Highrollers waiting to be mounted up. looking forward to giving them a go.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    I ran the Armadillo casing Eskars for awhile, I liked them quite a bit. I've been on 2.35 minion dhfs (with tubes) for the last few months, which are rad trailbike tires. waiting on the soon-to-be-released 2.3 Specialized Butcher Control (DHF clone) which is supposed to weigh in around ~750g and is tubeless ready. in the meantime I've got some 2.35 LUST Highrollers waiting to be mounted up. looking forward to giving them a go.
    I'm very happy with the 2.35 Highrolller on the back here in AZ. I bought it for my last trip to Moab in June and won't take it off!

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    With the Flows you can run any tires but, having said that, the 2.2 Trail Kings are now available in UST black chili (big for their stated size). Hans Dampf is a killer front tire as is the DHF as you know. Those are my top 3 by far... search on those in the tire forum for more info.

Cheers,

G
    Last edited by Gman086; 08-29-2011 at 10:22 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Multiple Lines Rock
    x2 on highrollers 2.35 on 6 inch ride
    x2 on the Trail Kings 2.2 on 5 inch ride

use both

front likes the fat albert,or hr as well..

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Stan's rims are not designed for UST tires. The rim is designed to work best with normal tire beads, in order to run them tubeless. Not to say that you can't use UST tires on a Stan's rim, (I've done it with success) but you don't need to limit yourself to UST tires on those rims.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub Niner View Post
    Stan's rims are not designed for UST tires. The rim is designed to work best with normal tire beads, in order to run them tubeless. Not to say that you can't use UST tires on a Stan's rim, (I've done it with success) but you don't need to limit yourself to UST tires on those rims.
    They are still designed for tubeless beads, according to my research. You would be smart to run their rim strips with a standard bead tire.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I like the looks of all the specialized tires at the moment. I'm currently running the 2.4 purg in control casing. Casing is holding up to West Slope abuse, Moab, and Flag, but it feels like it's lost a lot of traction since it was new, even though the tread looks good still. I'm going to give butcher or clutch a go next.

Something I do not recommend is the 2.4 ust trail king as a rear tire. I felt like I was decelerating on the descents. It rocks as a front tire for the west slope, though.

mtbr member
    I have been running the Continental Mt King 2's and have been really pleased with them so far. 2.2 on the rear, 2.4 up front; they seem to roll reasonably well and the grip has been great both cornering and braking.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    I like the looks of all the specialized tires at the moment. I'm currently running the 2.4 purg in control casing. Casing is holding up to West Slope abuse, Moab, and Flag, but it feels like it's lost a lot of traction since it was new, even though the tread looks good still. I'm going to give butcher or clutch a go next.

Something I do not recommend is the 2.4 ust trail king as a rear tire. I felt like I was decelerating on the descents. It rocks as a front tire for the west slope, though.
    Ditto. Currently running the Butcher 2.3 SX front and the Purgatory 2.2 Control rear.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    My personal experience with UST tires-(so cal conditions)

Conti Mountain King 2.4 - great tire, pedaling and traction, but wore out too fast for the cost

Kenda Nevegal 2.35 - Good traction, but quite heavy but reacted to Stans Sealant, separated the tires

Maxxis HighRoller 2.35 - Good traction and pedaling, but cut the sidewalls twice on a mellow trails

Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 - New favorite. Good traction and pedaling so far. Durability yet to be seen.

mtbr member
    I'm really liking the spec. clutch 2.3 (big 2.3) in the rear. It rolls well and has great climbing traction.
    "Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent"

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm riding on a pair of WTB Bronson AM TCS 2.3s and they work well in most conditions. Excellent grip and pretty good roll as well. The side knobs are really soft and you can feel them flex as you lean the bike over or when riding over rocks half wheel. It's a strange feeling but they grip great. They also sealed up easy with a floor pump on a set of Ringle Charger Pros which are basically a ZTR FLOW rim.