Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

AM Tire recomendations?

3K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  kapusta 
#1 ·
Any one have any AM Tire recommendations? I've done quite a bit of research but haven't come to any solid conclusions.

So far I've tried Bontrager Jones Kenda Klaw and Panaracer Smoke. The 2.1 Klaw was the largest I could squeeze on my 99 Hoodoo.

I ride mostly singletrack hardpack, soil, roots and some rock with a bit of mud occasionally. I'd like to get into some of the more technical rock and root stuff too. I live in the city and ride to some of the trails so I'd like a tire thats gonna last a bit. No real concern with rolling resistance on pavement tho (speed on the road is what I have road bikes for) but fast on the actual trail is good.

tia

#2 ·
#5 ·
if the largest you can fit is a 2.1, I don't think you have an AM frame, but thats beside the point. Nevegals, Rampages, and some of the speshies are all pretty good tires. Maxxis works pretty good too, but their tires run really smalll. I have 2.4's that fit into the back of my trek 4300 with plenty of room.

NB: I don't ride Am with my 4300 anymore, I have a vagrant for that.

#7 ·
Try the Fire XC. You should have no problems with the 2.1 out back, and you can run at least a 2.3 up front. It's the second best all around tire I've found, the Mountain Kings being the best, but I'm not sure a MK will fit, as the smallest is a 2.2 and my experience is with the 2.4

#16 ·
BLUEMEANIE said:
Panaracer is on my list for sure. I've been running a 700x45 dart/smoke combo on my cross bike since '00

I was looking at the MK 2.2 on a bike at my lbs and it seemed way smaller than the Kenda Klaw 2.1 I have on the voodoo right now
The MK will walk all over the Smoke/Dart combo. The Smoke grabs great, but when it lets go, it lets go HARD. There is no controled slide to warn you, you just lose traction and pray you get it back before you go down. With the MK, even if you lose traction, it's gradual enough that you can control the slide and reign it back in. If you can get away with a MK 2.2 in back, and a 2.4 up front, I think you will be pleased. Braking traction with the MK is probably the best I've experienced, period.It's definitely a different feel tho. The feel of the Fire will be a little closer to the Smoke/Dart than the MK will.

#17 ·
I loved the speed and over all feel of the MK's. On med to hard pack they corner like nothing else. I really wish I could've kept 'em, but they don't hold on slow techy wet rock kinds of trails.
It's really a regional thing, though. Probably the best research you could do is to go to a big group ride at your local trails and see what everyone is riding where you are. I would guess that about a third of all bikes here in CT get Kenda stick-e or DTC nev's to replace the stock rubber. There's probably a similar trend where you are.

#20 ·
I like the Maxxis Advantages. They aren't small like the older Maxxis models.
The 2.1 and 2.25 Advantages are high volume tires. you could run a 2.1 in the back and maybe a 2.25 in the front.
They wear good, roll good and stick on most terrain types. They also do a fair job at shedding mud.

Note; All the newer Maxxis tires are much larger than the old models.

The Advantage, Ardent, Ranchero, etc are all larger than the old models.
The old models include; Highroller, Minion, etc.

As an example, the 2.1 Advantage, is about the same size as the old 2.35 Highroller and Minions.

The 2.4 Advantage, is larger than the 2.5 Minion DHF. Much larger.

#21 ·
My advice is to go out and buy a few different tyres to try on your local trails.

Tyres aren't as expensive as other parts on our bikes but they're perhaps one of the most important parts on the bike so it's worth it to get the right tyres that suit your trails and style of riding.

I've bought tyres based on great reviews in magazines as well as internet forums and found that I didn't agree with a lot of the praise. I'm not pissed off about this though, nothing better than trying things out for yourself.

#25 ·
BLUEMEANIE said:
I did just that over the weekend and most people run the Nevegal DTC and Stick-e or the MK. Seen a few Specialized out there too.
The kendas can be set up ghetto tubeless pretty easily. Also, kenda had some problems with quality control ( knobs tearing off ) but have come through with replacements every time so far as I know. Specialized has a reputation for taking tires back pretty much no questions asked, but this may depend entirely on what shop you go to. I've usually liked the trail performance of the Specialized tires, but the sidewalls just don't hold up to the CT rocks real well. Peace K.

#26 ·
Surprised at the small sizes!

Wow, I'm very surprised that everyone is riding such skinny tires. My all mountain bike has 2.35's on it and that is the smallest I have ridden in a while. I've always found 2.1's too unstable on jumps, drops and nasty technical sections.

So personally, it begins and ends with the Nevegals. Kenda Nevegal 2.35 DTC are by far my favorite tires for all mountain riding in New England. Great on rocks and roots, good in wet and mud and outstanding climbing grip. I've ridden countless tires, some of my other favorites being:

WTB Motoraptor (2.4 and 2.24)
WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55 (awesome front tire)
Continental Vertical Pro (2.3)

Tires I have hated:
Panaracer Fire FR Pro (2.4) - These a boat anchors, so slow
Panaracer Cinder (2.25) - Slow for a skinnier tire
Michelin in general - I have always had bad experiences with them, even on rental bikes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.