Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    Blue Pig
    Reputation: Blksocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,552

    AM Single Speed.

    I feel I climb hills like a brute and don't use the higher gears as much as I use to. Any advice for a decent single speed kit?
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

  2. #2
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,026
    i have a gusset kit on my dj bike. works fine.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fireball_jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    301
    Tear apart your cassette and use that, plus any chain tensioner. Gives you plenty of gears to pick from.

  4. #4
    Blue Pig
    Reputation: Blksocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,552
    But I find myself just standing and pounding the pedals. Plus, shaving weight off the rear wouldn't be too bad.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

  5. #5
    100% fuzz, 0% melody
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    239
    Reads to me like you already know what you want, but are waiting for one of us to guess what it is.


  6. #6
    Blue Pig
    Reputation: Blksocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash T. Abula
    Reads to me like you already know what you want, but are waiting for one of us to guess what it is.

    I know of two companies that make SS kits (DMR and Gusset) but I am not sure if there were any other companies out there that I do not know of and figured the best way to find out was to post such a thread. Also, no idea on quality of the kits. I could have posted in the SS sub-thread but then most of them do XC and figured asking here in the AM sub-thread I would def. have a better chance of someone who SS and does AM giving me a straight answer. Also giving me advice on a cog for uphills and whatnot.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

  7. #7
    100% fuzz, 0% melody
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    239
    Right.

    Because the bike knows whether it's on an "XC" trail or an "All Mountain" gnarfest.

    The bike knows that for sure.

    Right.

  8. #8
    Blue Pig
    Reputation: Blksocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,552
    I found this link but no idea on the tooth count. I do a lot of climbing, don't care to race, and somewhat decent amount of rock gardens. If anyone has any idea on tooth count.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

  9. #9
    Blue Pig
    Reputation: Blksocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash T. Abula
    Right.

    Because the bike knows whether it's on an "XC" trail or an "All Mountain" gnarfest.

    The bike knows that for sure.

    Right.
    I'm sorry if I didn't have a guessing game set up for you.

    Obviously I am not going to think how you think when XC or AM comes to mind and vice versa.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

  10. #10
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,026
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...speed+Kit.aspx

    $23, 16t cog, enough spacers to get a perfect chainline. no need for a $40 cog just to try it. chances are you will want to try a couple sizes. once you figure out what you like then you can get a more expensive cog.

  11. #11
    Blue Pig
    Reputation: Blksocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...speed+Kit.aspx

    $23, 16t cog, enough spacers to get a perfect chainline. no need for a $40 cog just to try it. chances are you will want to try a couple sizes. once you figure out what you like then you can get a more expensive cog.
    Yea, I was gonna just get a cheap one but figured I'd ask for opinions of teeth through that site, which I most likely will be buying from when things are in place. But, that's pretty much it for a SS swap, huh? Thanks!

    Now why couldn't Ass P. be this nice.

    Edit: Which option should I be looking to get, though? W/Spaced, Angled spacers or W/Guides, Spacers?
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

  12. #12
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    Yea, I was gonna just get a cheap one but figured I'd ask for opinions of teeth through that site, which I most likely will be buying from when things are in place. But, that's pretty much it for a SS swap, huh? Thanks!

    Now why couldn't Ass P. be this nice.
    if you mean a good ratio to use ask on the ss forum. those guys will be able to help you way more with that than anyone here.

  13. #13
    Blue Pig
    Reputation: Blksocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    if you mean a good ratio to use ask on the ss forum. those guys will be able to help you way more with that than anyone here.
    Yea. Just thought I'd give this sub-thread a shot.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veryavgwhtguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    262
    I use 32 x 20, which is low by SS standards. Typical is a 32 x 16 or 32 x 18. The 20t rear lets me wheelie drop, climb trailside rocks, and mash through rock gardens reliably. I also weigh about 210 w/ gear so I can't scamper up the steeps as well as the lightweights.

  15. #15
    Dinner for wolves
    Reputation: buddhak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,550
    Surly makes a fine spacer kit, but so a million and one other folks. Surly makes a great SS cog with an asymmetrical profile to help dial the chainline. Alternatively, you can break apart an old cogset (like a SRAM PG850) and recycle those cogs. Try to figure out which gear is close to what you like to spend the whole day in - you can do this on the geared bike with some willpower. Go to Sheldon Brown's gear calculator and play around with different combinations of chainring and cog. Lastly, build the bike and start accumuating valuable experience. Between your legs, lungs, and brain you should be able to figure a workable gearing solution. For reference I run 30:18 or 34:21 on my 29er, and I used to run 34:19 on my 26er here in rocky PA.
    Responds to gravity

  16. #16
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,973
    find a gear you like the most while using your cassette and check what size it is. bam! there's the size you need. 2:1 is a good start.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OperatorBo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    63
    I ride both a AM bike and a single speed. My single speed is geared 32/20. it is great for where I ride which is the mountain benches. alot of up hill. keep in mind, my single speed bike is about 10 pounds lighter then my AM bike ( Specialize Enduro). it will depend on where you ride. If there are alot of long hills then 18-21 tooth cog will probable work for you. I am just giving my 2 cents worth. it all depends on your riding style, and how strong YOU are or how strong you want to become. I got into SS to get stronger to help me peddle my AM bike up hills. I am also a Clydsdale, 6'1", 260. so all hills are hare for me.LOL. What I found is start samowher ein the middle and just experiment with different cogs until you find the one that suits you the best. good luck!
    Vassago VerHauen
    Ibis Ripley.

  18. #18
    Blue Pig
    Reputation: Blksocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,552
    Thanks for the advice, guys! I am using a 32 up front and I seem comfortable with a 11 in the back. At least for climbing. Maybe a little bigger cog for getting over obstacles. OperatorBo, your 2 cents count!!
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jscusmcvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by veryavgwhtguy
    I use 32 x 20, which is low by SS standards. Typical is a 32 x 16 or 32 x 18. The 20t rear lets me wheelie drop, climb trailside rocks, and mash through rock gardens reliably. I also weigh about 210 w/ gear so I can't scamper up the steeps as well as the lightweights.
    This is what I use currently on my On One Summer Season. The 32x20 is a decent all around choice for what you describe. I have had to change my riding style a bit becasue I do spinout fairly often on even slight downhills. All that being said, I think I will be slapping a 18 tooth sprocket on the On One in the next couple weeks. I do have mine set up as a 2x1 though, using my Sram xo grip shift and x7 for front chainring shifting duties and this for handling the varying chainlengths needed.

    http://www.paulcomp.com/melvin.html

    Works like a dream, and since I am a not so great climber, I have the 24 tooth granny to drop to if I need it, which I sometimes do.

    I used this instead of spacers on the rear hub:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/GearClamp-Single...item45f7e93ae2

    It is very light and easy to use.

    On my regular xc oriented singlespeed I used a Forte conversion kit from Performance that does the job, but is a bit heavier. On that bike, weighing in currently at about 22#, I run 32x16 gearing with no issue.

    Good luck to you. My experinmenting into the singlespeed and 2x1 side of MTB started because I was frutrated with my rear derailler. However, I am finding I enjoy it for the simplicity, lack of obsessive thinking (which gear should I be in?) and reairs that seemed the norm when I was running gears.

    John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

  20. #20
    100% fuzz, 0% melody
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    I'm sorry if I didn't have a guessing game set up for you.

    Obviously I am not going to think how you think when XC or AM comes to mind and vice versa.
    Don't you mean to say,

    "Obviously I am just trolling so that I can feel superior to those people who are unable to guess EXACTLY what I'm implying?"


    I think you do.

    Also, 32x11 for climbing? Right.

    Nice trolling. Get those newbies, embarrass them good! SUPERB! BRILLIANT!

  21. #21
    Blue Pig
    Reputation: Blksocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash T. Abula
    Don't you mean to say,

    "Obviously I am just trolling so that I can feel superior to those people who are unable to guess EXACTLY what I'm implying?"


    I think you do.

    Also, 32x11 for climbing? Right.

    Nice trolling. Get those newbies, embarrass them good! SUPERB! BRILLIANT!
    You're good, Ass P. Yea, I use a 32 ring up front and the 11 cog at the back. Jealous? With your HIGH IQ of little things, I hope not!. Although, If am going to go SS I will have to suffer with a 12 cog.

    I read, you're 150 lbs? Yes? No? Move next to me and I'll put meat on you from going to the gym.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

  22. #22
    100% fuzz, 0% melody
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    You're good, Ass P. Yea, I use a 32 ring up front and the 11 cog at the back. Jealous? With your HIGH IQ of little things, I hope not!. Although, If am going to go SS I will have to suffer with a 12 cog.

    I read, you're 150 lbs? Yes? No? Move next to me and I'll put meat on you from going to the gym.
    I said I weigh 150 lbs? Where?

    You're stalking me now? Are you going to try to "expose" me as a "newbie" who doesnt' have your "mad skillz" or Heroic Climbing Prowess?

    32x11 climbing... right.

    You're degrading the content in this Realm of Serious Expertise!

  23. #23
    Blue Pig
    Reputation: Blksocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,552
    Stalking, no. Just reading your useless comments. Exposing, no. You already expose yourself. Newbie, no. Sad, yes. Mad skills, no. Weak, yes.

    32 front 11 rear, yes. You, no. Why? Little legs.

    Me, yes. You, no.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: usernamehere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    95
    im going outside and ride my biek.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTscoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,154
    Having built an all-mountain capable singlespeed Chameleon, I will say that you're going to want a little shorter of a gear ratio than a comparible XC bike. You'll be carrying a ton more weight than most XC SS bikes.

    Also, you'll want a faster rolling rear tire to help you get up to speed quicker. Just be careful getting through rock gardens.

    And gear your bike for the worst climbs imaginable. 32-11 is cute, try using that on a 1200 ft climb all the way to the top; or even trying to get up a steep/technical section of trail without stalling. 34/18 worked well for Georgia mountains but your region might be worse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •