Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blue Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob
    Having built an all-mountain capable singlespeed Chameleon, I will say that you're going to want a little shorter of a gear ratio than a comparible XC bike. You'll be carrying a ton more weight than most XC SS bikes.

Also, you'll want a faster rolling rear tire to help you get up to speed quicker. Just be careful getting through rock gardens.

And gear your bike for the worst climbs imaginable. 32-11 is cute, try using that on a 1200 ft climb all the way to the top; or even trying to get up a steep/technical section of trail without stalling. 34/18 worked well for Georgia mountains but your region might be worse.
    I'll stick to using the 32-11 for climbs for now, since I still have the rear cassette on. Guess not too many work out and don't drink beer and eat donuts or greasy fat bacon bombs. But, I appreciate your suggestion for the rocky terrain. Again, I am ONLY using the 32-11 right now since I am climbing forest roads to get warmed up. I have not hit the rock gardens yet, which is why I wanted suggestions as to which type of cog would be suited for such terrain.

im going outside and ride my biek.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash T. Abula
    I said I weigh 150 lbs? Where?

You're stalking me now? Are you going to try to "expose" me as a "newbie" who doesnt' have your "mad skillz" or Heroic Climbing Prowess?

32x11 climbing... right.

You're degrading the content in this Realm of Serious Expertise!
    oh man STFU already! Were you born with an attitude or what? You come here to make friends or make ****?

GAME ON!
    32/11 too easy? i suggest this.

trolololololol

Blue Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    32/11 too easy? i suggest this.

trolololololol

I got my suggestions. No more need for useless comments. Settling on trying 12 for when I'm in a climbing mood and going to test, 16, 18, and 19 for other riding.

Thanks for those who gave their 2 cents and those who pretty much depend on monster drinks.

mtbr member
    Wow, totally relieved you got this all figured out.

One suggestion though, you may want to use the easier gears for when you are in a "climbing" mood. Unless by climbing you mean walking.

mtbr member
    I ride XC on a rigid single speed and I found a 2:1 ratio to be way too hard for sustained climbing. 32/18 is pretty good but I am a wimp and I ride 32/20.

Blue Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle
    I ride XC on a rigid single speed and I found a 2:1 ratio to be way too hard for sustained climbing. 32/18 is pretty good but I am a wimp and I ride 32/20.
    At least you try!

Thanks, Fotu. It wasn't so much as to figuring things out,but more of taking in suggestions, bright one Now, go back to rubbing those plastic pedals on your crotch.

Just so the real "trollers/spammers" know. I have no more use for this thread. Continue to bump it if you wish.

T.W.O
    How about you post a damn pic that is what we have been waiting for.

Blue Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90
    How about you post a damn pic that is what we have been waiting for.
    I will only reply to this because some instigator just had to bring it up on my chain tensioner thread in the SS sub-forum. and it's not entirety a stupid question but rather a fun thing to prove?

Anyways, my only answer to your question is, sure! Let met get everything together and I'll post a 32x12 since 11 isn't possible to get unless I use my 11t cog off the cassette. But then some 50 lbs skinny leg will whine and say "your jus gunna change it 2 higher cog after lolololtrolltrolltrolllllooooll"
    Last edited by Blksocks; 04-22-2011 at 06:02 PM.

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks

Settling on trying 12 for when I'm in a climbing mood and going to test, 16, 18, and 19 for other riding.
    you have it backwards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2