mtbr member

Listen! AM saddle options

Hey guys, i just bought a new reign and it came with a WTB Devo, which is a cross country race saddle. Why the reign's are spec'd with it is beyond me. Mind you it is a nice saddle good shape and quality and very light but it has next to no padding. After a ride I cant ride again for another 4 days cause my butt is so sore. To make a long story short im in the market for a saddle. Are there AM saddles? I was looking at the WTB Pure V, Rocket V, and Laser V as well as the SDG Bel Air. Im looking for something super comfy i can ride for hours with out weighing tonnes. Anyone have experience with any of these saddles or other recomendations?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have a WTB Laser V and I like it alot. If you look at alot of bike build posts on MTBR you will notice that alot of people run WTB V saddles. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    The V saddles all look very similar (and good), what are the difrences between the models?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MI66
    The V saddles all look very similar (and good), what are the difrences between the models?
    width and length and shape for application...

see website

STINKY TOFU
    also weight and material options synth vs leather

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've got the SDG on my Commencal and just recently got a Specialized Rival. The Rival is super comfy, more so than my SDG. And it is very light to boot. Shaped like the WTB with the channel.

STINKY TOFU
    I kiked some of the specialized stuff but they were really pricey. You can always find WTB's on sale on the net.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Are you serious?! I can't beleive Giant would make so such glaring mistake on an All Mountain bike. Did you actually ride the bike with XC saddle? Are you OK?

You may have a grounds for a serious lawsuit here. I can't imagine the pain and suffering you've had to live through, riding "All Mountain" style on a cross country saddle.

There is one thing you could do: I hear they make this special All Mountain gear, called "Padded Bike Shorts". The word in the AM community is that they really help with the saddle soreness. But who knows; the technology is so new there hasn't been a Mountain Bike Action Magazine "All Mountain Short Shootout" yet.
    Another possible solution is actually riding the bike.... there's a new field of medicine emerging called "All Mountain-ology". Preliminary research has indicated that actaully riding will make your @$$ used to the saddle, therefore elimnating the pain.

But then again, this is all speculation. This "All Mountain" thing is so new, we're all mavericks here. Good luck, and Godspeed. You will get through this!

STINKY TOFU
    uh bad day?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brendancahill
    ... Preliminary research has indicated that actaully riding will make your @$$ used to the saddle, therefore elimnating the pain...

mtbr member
    Just curious, does that make you feel good about your self or cool? Who do you think you are, if you have something constructive to say great, i enjoy humor but that had a taste royal cun+ in it.

local trails rider
    Saddles are a pretty personal thing...

What suits one person might not suit another. Maybe you like it when you have a lot of soft padding on the seat. I do not like to sink into all the padding that some seats have.

If you do not like the seat you have, go to a LBS and sit on all the different seats that they have. You might find one that you like. I did.

(bit OT)
    I recall there was a thread on AM wigs some months ago. Somebody had got irritated/amused by all the AM marketing hype.
    (/bit OT)

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MI66
    Just curious, does that make you feel good about your self or cool? Who do you think you are, if you have something constructive to say great, i enjoy humor but that had a taste royal cun+ in it.
    Sorry, I guess my sarcasm wasn't "All Mountain" enough for this board !

squish is good
    Okay, let me try to explain brendancahill's frustration here. This goes back to the "which all mountain sock?" kind of question. A saddle is a saddle. There are race saddles, jump saddles, something in the middle saddles and wide old lady saddles. For everybody a saddle is kind of an individual thing, I run a Specialized BG road saddle on my Reign because it's the first saddle I could find that kept the wedding tackle from passing out on the climbs. Yeah, it's not cushy but thats what padded bike shorts are for. I've seen XC race saddles on DH bikes to save weight. The saddle is something you sit on, shorts are supposed to keep your bum happy. Overly cushy saddles put pressure everywhere instead of leaving a channel where the blood runs so they aren't that great for climbing, thats why your new Reign has a XC saddle. Anyways, this all mountain category is still pretty undefined, maybe somebody will come out with special saddles for us some time but in the meantime everybody just uses what fits their butt.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Okay, let me try to explain brendancahill's frustration here. This goes back to the "which all mountain sock?" kind of question. A saddle is a saddle. There are race saddles, jump saddles, something in the middle saddles and wide old lady saddles. For everybody a saddle is kind of an individual thing, I run a Specialized BG road saddle on my Reign because it's the first saddle I could find that kept the wedding tackle from passing out on the climbs. Yeah, it's not cushy but thats what padded bike shorts are for. I've seen XC race saddles on DH bikes to save weight. The saddle is something you sit on, shorts are supposed to keep your bum happy. Overly cushy saddles put pressure everywhere instead of leaving a channel where the blood runs so they aren't that great for climbing, thats why your new Reign has a XC saddle. Anyways, this all mountain category is still pretty undefined, maybe somebody will come out with special saddles for us some time but in the meantime everybody just uses what fits their butt.
    Exactly! And, I think "All Mountain" is really just s frame of mind that isn't really defined by gear. I just bought a Giant Reign, but I have been riding up, and then down, some really gnarly trails on nothing but a hard tail XC bike (quite successfully). The sickest, most skilled rider I've ever seen rides a fully rigid single speed, often times with full spandex, and he routinely outrides the downhill, freeride and trail bike riding guys.

I apologize though; that post seemed funny and saracastic to me, but could have been taken as an insult. I need to work on my All Mountain manners, I guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brendancahill
    Sorry, I guess my sarcasm wasn't "All Mountain" enough for this board !
    Sorry, your sense of humor requires a 20mm thru-axle (or "axel" if that's more AM) in order to be appreciated.

Personally, I have used a Specialized Avatar Gel and I like to climb and descend, which is pretty All Mountain-ny. I have the cheaper Rival that came with my Stumpy FSR and that's pretty nice too. However, I use padded shorts on virtually every ride, so it makes me more tolerant to saddles.

One saddle that I would like to see in person is the Selle Italia Yutaak. I would consider that one if I could just see it in a shop and not a few pictures here and there. If you want to see it, just go to http://www.selleitalia.com/eng/index.html (it's a flash-based pig of a site and I can't link directly to a useful pic).

"El Whatever"
    Spesh Avatar and Rival are very nice saddles...

So do WTB "V" Series...

On both you have to choose from the required width, depending on you sit bones.

The Avatar 150 was extremely wide for me and made difficult going fore and aft, but it was a really nice pedaling platform.

I swapped it for a Rocket V and the thing is beautiful... really comfy, easy to move fore and aft, the tip doesn't make you feel like if you were sticking it up your nether parts and it's just hard enough to be comfortable.
    Check my Site