Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AM Rim Thread

Cheesiest

AM Rim Thread

Sweet forum! I'm getting the itch to start doing some exploring on my Bullit; it's already en route to an AM/FR build.

My rear rim is about to break at the seem, so I'm trying to figure out the best replacement. I would like to find something in the 28-32 cm range that is the lightest, most durable rim that can handle gnarly trails with some lift-served riding thrown in.

Mavic 823?
    DT 5.1?
    Any others?

Thanks

ride hard take risks

Alpine Rider (Italy)
    mavic xm321

mtbr member
    May 2004

Good job! AM wheels

I second the motion Mavic 321 are great rims for AM and lite enough to handle the hills, at a price that wont give you a hart attack

"El Whatever"
    Alex TD-17's??

What's vox populi on those ones?? They seem very light for the use and only 20 bucks...
    Check my Site

Now with 3 more inches!
    A lot of people seem to be digging the DT 5.1.

I've no experience of them but I love my DT 4.1 rims.

mtbr member
    I'm running the DT 6.1's. They seem decent enough. I only have them because the shop didn't have any DT 5.1 rims in stock or any Syncros DS28 rims and i wanted to try something different to Mavic.

I had the 6.1's retrued after the first 3 rides but i'm hoping it was only because of stress relief in the build. They seem alright now after about 20 rides.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    I've got a set of Syncros DP25 rims on mine; seem to be doing well so far. No problems with fatty tires and low pressure so far, and they've held up fine for over a year of moderate abuse.

Caveat: I only weigh about 165# max when fully loaded on the bike.

If doing the build again, I'd probably go for the slightly wider DP28 rim just for the hell of it. If I end up trashing these, that's probably what will replace them.

Probably can't really go wrong with any of the options in this thread; go with what you get a better deal on maybe? Guess it depends on if you want tubeless ready as well.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 30x26
    mavic xm321
    yep

for slightly more weight but much more burl -- Arrow FR

mtbr member

Azonic outlaw

I run with Azonic outlaw !!! good rim for AM in my opinion !!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways
    Sweet forum! I'm getting the itch to start doing some exploring on my Bullit; it's already en route to an AM/FR build.

My rear rim is about to break at the seem, so I'm trying to figure out the best replacement. I would like to find something in the 28-32 cm range that is the lightest, most durable rim that can handle gnarly trails with some lift-served riding thrown in.

Mavic 823?
    DT 5.1?
    Any others?

Thanks
    i would go for azonic outlaw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not so super...
    I've used all of these and can't say that I prefer one over the other. All worked well.

Syncros DS-28
    Mavic XM321 / F219
    DT 5.1d

Cheesiest
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Has anyone tried the Salsa Delgado Discs? They seem ridiculously light (claimed 450 g) for a 29 mm rim? I wouldn't think that they would hold up to a hard beating, but the rims are listed at about $60 in the QBP catalog.

Your bike is incorrigible

Errrr

Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr

Remember how I posted about riding on broken spokes? That was on a WTB Dual Duty wheelset. However, the rims are still just about as true as ever. I've had to true maybe twice in the year and a half that I've had them. The rims may be very good. I just don't trust the hubs or the spokes.

for the burl of a bullit, i second the FR6.1d. 100g heavier than the 5.1, but gives you peace of mind on the bigger stuff.

ride hard take risks
    Well nenernener i havent toutched mine yet, still true as new. No probs with the hubs, i have heard they had some issues awhile back, guess i got the lucky ones. Also WTB is local for me gots to support the local bros WTB.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm old school... I like the Mavic F519 still. I think there's an equivalent with the new naming, I just don't know what it is.

I also had a set of Alex Supra-D, but they were heavy and needed truing a lot. I think they are DH race rims.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Well nenernener i havent toutched mine yet, still true as new. No probs with the hubs, i have heard they had some issues awhile back, guess i got the lucky ones. Also WTB is local for me gots to support the local bros WTB.
    Or it could be that I'm comparing my WTBs to my dream set of Hadleys with 321 rims. Whom would I complain to if one of my spokes broke on my dream wheelset?

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    Or it could be that I'm comparing my WTBs to my dream set of Hadleys with 321 rims. Whom would I complain to if one of my spokes broke on my dream wheelset?
    ....Me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride
    I'm old school... I like the Mavic F519 still. I think there's an equivalent with the new naming, I just don't know what it is.

I also had a set of Alex Supra-D, but they were heavy and needed truing a lot. I think they are DH race rims.
    The new version is called the XM719....and I can't think of a better allmountain rim. It's got a great price, it's not super heavy yet guys are doing up to 12' drops on them with zero problems. Mine are round and true after a year of riding, will accomodate up to 2.5 tires no problem, and tires are easy to get on and off this rim.

Also, they lace up really nice - great tolerances. If you ever want to swap them to a bike with V-brakes, you've got a sidewall for braking too.

"El Whatever"
    So... what's a nice weight figure for AM/XC oriented wheelset...

I busted a spoke yesterday and sent my rear wheel totally out of true (the front already was). Totally my fault, boneheaded approach to a curb, not enough bunnyhop and already loose rear spokes. That's not to mention the failed little jump, but that one was hard on the front, not the rear though.

My current set-up is Shimano 555 flangeless hubs with a Mavic 221 up front and a no-name cheapo rim and 14g spokes.

After yesterday's ride, I realized I may go for beefier rims, even at the weight increase expense.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Another vote for the Mavic xm321. I got the wheelset (with XTR hubs!) for $149. It was a custom build that never got picked up. I guess the '80's purple nipples made it too ugly, so I got it for a steal.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

MTB B'dos
    I ahven't had my XM321's for long, but I think they're a good compromise between light weight and strength. Think I need to re-build them with the right length spokes and a spoke tensioner.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    DT 5.1d's with Hadley hubs and Dt Supercomp spokes. They have taken all the abuse I've thrown at them and after 6 months I haven't trued them once.

Cheesiest
    I'm thinking that EX721's or DT 6.1's laced to Hadley's would be nice. I'm thinking of running some 2.5 High Rollers on this wheelset, so I don't want to go too narrow. My emphasis is on the descent. I don't mind pushing when I need to

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast