Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AM Rim Thread

change is good
    Sep 2004

I do admit I'm predjudiced

because I own the following

Best AM wheelset - Industry Nine wheels with freeride spokes and Stans FR rims.
    Best AM bike - Ventana El Capitan

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by abscar
    because I own the following

Best AM wheelset - Industry Nine wheels with freeride spokes and Stans FR rims.
    Best AM bike - Ventana El Capitan
    Has anyone tried Arrow XCL rims, and where can I buy them?
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways
    Sweet forum! I'm getting the itch to start doing some exploring on my Bullit; it's already en route to an AM/FR build.

My rear rim is about to break at the seem, so I'm trying to figure out the best replacement. I would like to find something in the 28-32 cm range that is the lightest, most durable rim that can handle gnarly trails with some lift-served riding thrown in.

Mavic 823?
    DT 5.1?
    Any others?

Thanks
    The rim choice will depend on how rough you really ride and that question only you can answer. Also, do you want tubeless or tubes?

In my opinion tubless is good for DH racing, where you want major beef for tires and don't want to be penalized with a tube that weights over a pound as that slows your acceleration. It is also good for DJing, where you can pinch flat easy.

For trail riding a middle weight tube, like the Maxxis Welterweight is the optimal solution as I found out though over a year of experiments. This year alone, 3 trips to Moab, very rough, very high speed trails, increasingly tougher drops and not a single flat on trail, yet. I'm running FD28 rims with Fat Albert tires and Weleter Weight, shraeder valve, tubes. (I just totally jinxed myself)

But as far as rims are concerned, as that's the question, the lightest weight 28mm rims are Alex FD28s (I have a set built up) at 490g, the mentioned 5.1ds at 510g and the 450g Salsa Delgados (29mm wide). I haven't had or heard any real world experience with the delgados, the FD28s have held up great for me, but I haven't hit anything bigger than 5ft out on trail. They seem equally capable to the 5.1s. They are made of a different material, however. A friend of mine who is definatelly more aggresive has hit upwards of 10ft to tranny with 5.1s and has put a few dents into the rims. He's also destroyed the 6.1s, but those were subjected to about 14ft drops and were built a lot worse than his 5.1 set. He claims that the aluminum alloy DT uses is too soft and too bendy. I can't comment on the FD28s as he's not run those yet, but they have held up great for me and are about a third of the price of 5.1s.

Going a little heavier you've got Mavic 321s, Rhynos, Syncros DS28s and more. For a more complete list check out this thread: Going back to tubes, help choose a rim: Alex, Azonic, Syncros, Sun, Stan's, Tioga, +.

What size tires are you running?

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    I gotta agree about the Mavic F519. I have one on the rear and love it. I have done 5ft. drops to flat and it never needed truing since it was built up. They are a little narrower than what you're looking for, but they're incredibly light at about 466g and are really cheap. Be aware that a F519 costs around $30-40, while an XM719 costs $65-70, like said above, the XM719 is just a renamed F519 so if you don't mind the sticker, you can save 40 bucks by buying an F519.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    519 has been a great rim for me. Takes a lickin with no true-in. A good builder helps. Nice and light for how strong they are. Over 2000 miles with lots of 5' and under drops.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    So... what's a nice weight figure for AM/XC oriented wheelset...

I busted a spoke yesterday and sent my rear wheel totally out of true (the front already was). Totally my fault, boneheaded approach to a curb, not enough bunnyhop and already loose rear spokes. That's not to mention the failed little jump, but that one was hard on the front, not the rear though.

My current set-up is Shimano 555 flangeless hubs with a Mavic 221 up front and a no-name cheapo rim and 14g spokes.

After yesterday's ride, I realized I may go for beefier rims, even at the weight increase expense.
    My "AM" wheels are 1865g (4.1lbs) with rim tape.

Ologist
    Mavic 819 USTs with King hubs are the best that I have ridden on. I am also very interested in the DT Swiss 5.1d they seem preety sweet and that 240s hub.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    My "AM" wheels are 1865g (4.1lbs) with rim tape.
    So, can we say that 2 kilos (4.4 pounds) is a good weight figure for a AM wheelset?

My cheapo planned wheelbuild will be around the 2.3 kilos (almost 5 pounds)...
    Check my Site

Designated Bleeder

Second on the Outlaws

I second (or is it third) the Azonic Outlaws. Tough as nails and not nearly as heavy as a DH rim. They won't win any XC races but they rule for long rides with a few drops thrown in for good measure...

Don't skid
    I ride both Azonic Outlaws and XM321's.
    I would vote for the 321's. The outlaws are a nice strong rim for DH or FR but IMO a little heavy for all day trial riding. Plus you don't need 36 holes on an all-mountain bike (I weight 260 and 32 holes work just fine for me).
    I have been riding 321's for over 2.5 years. They came stock on my Coiler and I built a set for my Inbred XC hardtial. I have had no problems with them and would recommend them and again I way 260 and ride extremely rocky trails.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

mtbr member

I

I've had the F-219s Disc (current XM321) in the past. Those are tanks.

I switched to DT Swiss 5.1.d - These are dreamy!!! As beefy as the 219s, but lighter...

...oh, and sexier!

Got them laced onto Hope ProII hubs. Really think these are the All Mountain rims.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    xm719 , stronger than my bones.

Big Test Icycles
    I'm gonna vote for the Mavic XM321. Universal Cycles laced mine up to some Hope hubs and they have been running great for me.

banned
    This threadmight help a bit in this discussion.

banned
    It seems some of the recommendations are going into more FR territory. What about something like XC819's?

mtbr member
    After earlier suggesting the DT FR6.1D rims i went for a ride today and came back with a dent in the sidewall and rim cavity. I can't even think of what i might have hit to have caused it. The wheel is still round and only about a 2mm buckle at that point, but i can't help but feel that the reviews on MTBR saying these rims were soft might have been right. The tyre still holds okay and i should be able to straighten it when i need a new tyre.

banned
    Just built up some EX 721's over the winter. Havent really had a chance to push them early in the riding season, but they appear to be nice. It's held a 2.5" TrailBear with innertube well so far.

In farness, I'm a lightweight rider. Not very hard on parts. Maybe a clyde can chim in for comparison sake.

AS someone else mentioned. A well build 32 hole should be plenty sufficient for AM.

mtbr member
    I've got the dt ex 5.1d rims and I really like them.

The guys @ specialized seem to like them too

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2