Thread: AM Rig

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

AM Rig

I've been after a new frame for about a month, I think I've been looking to hard!!! Its going to be used for AM/Freeride ( no big jumps but needs to be strong), I'll be using Fox36Talas on th front and have narrowed it done to these :-

Heckler - Ano with DHX5, I know these are strong and pedal great - my buddys have them so I know they are more than capable of most stuff( dont want BLT / 4X)

Cove Gspot - bit heavier than what I'm use to and I cant find no info on anyone who's using them for AM, Im not sure how pedal efficient they are, I've ridden a freeride set up that nearly killed me going up hill but was ace going down......my build would be lighter.(Hustlers got an airshock = I like the DHX)

Moment - DHX5, I've just sold one as it was a bit big for throwing around so a smaller is a possiblity.

VPFree - tempted with this but would be limited to freeride -I need an all rounder.

All these are available on next day delivery - I need to choose by this Friday so if you can help with any info I'd appreciate it!

TNC
    noMAD man
    The Heckler is an amazingly good performer and economically priced also. To me it's kinda like a mini-Bullit. It's very tough without being too heavy. A bunch of us did a 20 miler today out at our favorite rocky location. One of the guys recently bought a Heckler after only being on hardtails. This riding place is rocky with lots of ledges...very trecherous and tough...did I mention it was rocky? It was his first trip to this place, and we're often a little leary of taking 1st timers out there. He had no problems whatsoever, which to me, shows how confindence inspiring and capable the Heckler is. This place is also loaded with lots of climbing in loose, rocky terrain. He did very well and constantly praised his bike for its performance.

The Talas should work well on the Heckler. The Talas tends to sink a few mm's into its travel, so it shouldn't produce an annoyingly tall fork. That said, one of my riding buddies has a full 6" fork on his, and it works excellently.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CLANGER69
    I've been after a new frame for about a month, I think I've been looking to hard!!! Its going to be used for AM/Freeride ( no big jumps but needs to be strong), I'll be using Fox36Talas on th front and have narrowed it done to these :-

Heckler - Ano with DHX5, I know these are strong and pedal great - my buddys have them so I know they are more than capable of most stuff( dont want BLT / 4X)

Cove Gspot - bit heavier than what I'm use to and I cant find no info on anyone who's using them for AM, Im not sure how pedal efficient they are, I've ridden a freeride set up that nearly killed me going up hill but was ace going down......my build would be lighter.(Hustlers got an airshock = I like the DHX)

Moment - DHX5, I've just sold one as it was a bit big for throwing around so a smaller is a possiblity.

VPFree - tempted with this but would be limited to freeride -I need an all rounder.

All these are available on next day delivery - I need to choose by this Friday so if you can help with any info I'd appreciate it!
    Those two don't go together. I think people are stretching the dubious "AM" term and padding it to say "I'm a freerider".

Ariolimax columbianus

Get a Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by CLANGER69

Why have so many choices? The Nomad's lighter than the Free and has more travel than a Heckler. I've been riding mine for about a month (had a Heckler, Blur 4x) and my rides are getting longer because the bike just soaks up everything leaving me less fatigued. My Nomad with 6" travel front and back (Van 36/Dhx Air) feels more balanced and a bit longer than the Heckler. The extra length of the wheelbase just adds more stability in the corners (less lateral rear wheel washout) and gives you that extra length (rear wheel traction/VPP) to get over obstacles. Sections (up or down) that were almost possible on the Heckler have become a reality an a lot easier since I jumped on the Nomad. Your budget appears to accommodate the pricing of a Nomad, why isn't on your short list?

TNC
    noMAD man

I would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeson
    Why have so many choices? The Nomad's lighter than the Free and has more travel than a Heckler. I've been riding mine for about a month (had a Heckler, Blur 4x) and my rides are getting longer because the bike just soaks up everything leaving me less fatigued. My Nomad with 6" travel front and back (Van 36/Dhx Air) feels more balanced and a bit longer than the Heckler. The extra length of the wheelbase just adds more stability in the corners (less lateral rear wheel washout) and gives you that extra length (rear wheel traction/VPP) to get over obstacles. Sections (up or down) that were almost possible on the Heckler have become a reality an a lot easier since I jumped on the Nomad. Your budget appears to accommodate the pricing of a Nomad, why isn't on your short list?
    I have a Nomad too, and it is absoulutely awesome, but the poster gave a specific list for whatever reason. A Nomad can do just about everything, depending on how you build it up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    To be honest I have looked at the Nomad......I can't bring myself to like the look of it, from what I've heard/read about it = it is perfect, I guess you either like it or you don't. VPfree was an option but thinking about it there's no point building it light so I'll take that off my lil list........ ideally Gspots tops but nobody seems to run them as an AM rig which asks the question....why not?

J'Chicken...........no big jumps at the moment but I'm hoping to progress!I enjoy really tech rocky trails that you have to throw the bike around, the guys I ride with run Hecklers and they are great - feel light and flickable. Interesting.....neither said anything about the Moment, any reason?

The reason it's a short list is because of the availability and lack of time .

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Surely somebody on here owns a Gspot???

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Those two don't go together. I think people are stretching the dubious "AM" term and padding it to say "I'm a freerider".
    oh stop....you are just jealous cause I am a XC Freerider and you are not