mtbr member
    Feb 2004

AM Riding spots...

Some places are more XC others are more Freeride...but what are you fav places...

To me all mountain means places that have moderate drops, jumps, log rides, ladders, etc but also have some good climbs and nice singletrack. Someplace that really takes advantage of the 5-6" or trael and the stronger bikes.

In Southern, NY/CT here are some of my favs...

Ninham Mtn (Carmel, NY)
    Blue Mtn (Peekskill, NY)
    Sprain Ridge (Yonkers, NY)
    Trumbull, CT

So what are some of your fave places?

Tom

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well...I haven't been all that many places (still pretty new to biking)...but the one time I went to Wissahickon Park right in Philly, PA I was really glad to have my 6" travel bike. The trails we rode were very rocky & for my ability pretty technical, for others the trails might seem like a breeze.

Not sure if it's considered 'All-Mountain', guess that definition is in the eye of the rider. But there were riders doing the same trails on hardtails & XC bikes along w/ riders on a Heckler, Big Hit & other long-travel bikes.

Still lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Church
    Some places are more XC others are more Freeride...but what are you fav places...

To me all mountain means places that have moderate drops, jumps, log rides, ladders, etc but also have some good climbs and nice singletrack. Someplace that really takes advantage of the 5-6" or trael and the stronger bikes.

Ninham Mtn (Carmel, NY)
    Blue Mtn (Peekskill, NY)
    Trumbull, CT

Tom
    I need to check out Ninham and Blue Mtn...I live just up the road in Poughkeepsie. To date, I've done most of my riding at Vassar, probably a little more XCish than AM
    [SIZE=3]
    "Yesterday is the past,
    Tomorrow is not guaranteed,
    For today, we ride"
    [/SIZE]

Your bike is incorrigible

Ninham Mtn (Carmel, NY)
    Blue Mtn (Peekskill, NY)
    Trumbull, CT

Tom
    In north/central CT:

My favorite used to be Case, but now I like Soapstone much more. But I would like to get out to Vietnam to try the new IMBA trail.

Baba Booey!

Trumbull, CT

I ride Trumbull ALL the time. Just had a nice crash there on Sunday, chipped a tooth and got 11 stitches...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was at Trumbull on Sunday as well...that sucks...my buddy J. Ford jumped the 25'er that is so infamous from that kid nearly killing himself a few years back. The vid of him landing that thing is sick...

Dogwonder...I used to live near vasser and I rode there all the time...I was up hitting the jumps the other day, to bad the stunts in the back are starting to fall apart...wish I had the time to do some repair work. 909 was my other spot up there...but neither is as tech as Blue or Ninham. If you want good rides at blue check out the Fat Tire Fest there in June 4th. Go to www.wmba.org for more info.

Tom

Living the Dream

I like to "All Mountain" at the same places I like to Mtn Bike

These are trails are not rank ordered.

1. Lake Tahoe Mr Toads, TRT, XMAS Valley
    2. Downieville, CA
    3. Resurrection Pass, Alaska
    4. St George Utah--Gooseberry/Little Creek
    5. South Mountain, Phoenix
    6. 50 Year, Milagrosa, Mt Lemmon, all in Tucson, AZ
    7. Flaggstaff, AZ
    8. Sedona
    9. Patagonia, Arizona--Kentucky Camp/AZ trail
    10. Annadel, Santa Rosa, CA

Places on my wish list
    1. Canmore, Alberta
    2. Nelson, BC
    3. Whistler/Pemberton
    4. Fruita/GJ
    5. Moab
    6. Durango
    7. Front Range, CO
    8. Idaho
    9. Montana
    10. Tsali
    11. Arkansas: Womble, Syllamo
    12. Bend
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member

A few more

Syllamo AR
    Berryman, MO (not as tough as Syllamo, but in the neighborhood)
    DuPont Forest, NC (not as tough as Pisgah, but fun and close by)
    Laurel Mountain, NC ( one small piece of Pisgah)
    Marquette, MI (everything I rode)
    Levis Mound, WI (close to home)

Walt

Still lost
    I was at Trumbull on Sunday as well...that sucks...my buddy J. Ford jumped the 25'er that is so infamous from that kid nearly killing himself a few years back. The vid of him landing that thing is sick...

Dogwonder...I used to live near vasser and I rode there all the time...I was up hitting the jumps the other day, to bad the stunts in the back are starting to fall apart...wish I had the time to do some repair work. 909 was my other spot up there...but neither is as tech as Blue or Ninham. If you want good rides at blue check out the Fat Tire Fest there in June 4th. Go to www.wmba.org for more info.

Tom
    Which jumps at Vassar were you hitting? The one's where you go over the brook and through the field? Some of those are in tough shape as well. I want to get together with a couple guys and do some maintenance. That section is fun and is where I learned to ride bridges. A couple tumbles off some of those teach you how to look where you want to go, not where you DON'T want to go :wink:

I'd love to go to the fat tire fest, but I'm actually in Vermont that weekend. Something about a 10th college reunion...
    [SIZE=3]
    "Yesterday is the past,
    For today, we ride"
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I hit the ones by the pond which are in decent shape just need a bit of rain to back them down a bit more. The ones back by the field are in great shape but are a bit big for me. I was watching some kids do 360's and such off of those the other day.

Tom

mtbr member
    Tom,
    I was also at Trumbull on Sunday. Found a couple new 15-20 foot rollers thanks to an xc guy that we met up with. Hit some great stuff, but stayed pretty small due to the fact that it was my first freeriding of the season on a new bike. Can't wait to get back there throughout the season. The 7' gap near the picnic table roller is on my must hit list for the season.
    May be heading back there tommorrow.

So, list is-
    Trumull
    Arcadia in RI
    West Rock
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

Still lost
    I hit the ones by the pond which are in decent shape just need a bit of rain to back them down a bit more. The ones back by the field are in great shape but are a bit big for me. I was watching some kids do 360's and such off of those the other day.

Tom
    hmmm...not sure I know about the one's by the pond. Unless you mean the one's that are kind of close to the entrance to the parking lot. Those I know about, I usually see BMXers there. I should be going over there tonight, going to be close to 80 here.
    [SIZE=3]
    "Yesterday is the past,
    For today, we ride"
    [/SIZE]