mtbr member
    Mar 2010

AM riding for rider with scoliosis condition

Is it safe for people with scoliosis to do mountain biking? any one have any inputs?

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by metajkt
    Is it safe for people with scoliosis to do mountain biking? any one have any inputs?
    Every back problem is unique. Ask your neurosurgeon or chiropractor.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    You're going to inquire from faceless strangers on the Internet? It's your spine, man. Go ask your doctor.

perpetual pucker factor
    Agreed, I'd ask a doctor for sure. I have a friend with minor scoliosis, and she can and does ride just fine. But there are plenty of people that have more severe cases than her, and I can see it being really risky for some of them.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

usually cranky
    i have minor scoliosis and can ride fine. but each case is different, play it safe and ask your doc.

I dream on two wheels
    I too have minor scoliosis and ride everyday with no problems.

-Simonns
    Whiskey

usually cranky
    just to add to my orignal post im also young and bounce back easy and ride a 150mm bike, i dont think a hardtail would be a good option.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I too have scoliosis, and have had a major back surgery for it about 15 years ago (i'm 30 now). I have started racing downhill when I was 19 and have been riding aggressively ever since. I quit racing downhill a few years ago for fear of back injury or other injury. I did talk to my doctor before that though to see if racing DH was ok and he said whatever i'm comfortable with is fine, and my back is just as durable as anyone else's, but he doesn't recommend it in general from a doctor's standpoint

I have been racing mostly cross country and super d for the last few years and have had every kind of bike from fully rigid to 6 inch travel and find my back gets stronger every year. I truly believe that the best thing to do with any back condition is to stay active, for your whole life! My doctor, Dr. Ted Wagner, stressed this more than anything. And if riding your mountain bike off road and down aggressive trails is how you stay active, than go for it as it's better than sitting on the couch!

If you haven't already, I would find a local doctor and see what they have to say and stay in contact with them as you come up with more questions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I would agree, check with your doctor (or even better a good sports PT w/ MRI) because every angle and personal difference can change his opinion.

But for me with herniated discs from power lifting, biking has been a GODSEND. I'm 110% positive that good PT, strength training and biking, especially biking, is what's keeping my back feeling like it's 21 again (I'm 38).

Get it checked and make sure the doctor knows sports.

mtbr member
    go to swimming pool. and make puul ups. and your back will be thankful.
    I'm from Ukraine, Kiev
    I'm graphics and web designer
    Follow me on Behance

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I too have scoliosis, lot of my young age was inside a brace (milwaukee )
    I have been practice downhill for the last 12 years with no problem,but Every person it's different....
    I'm a yoga teacher in my life and practice every day , this make my back stronger and flexible than most people without scoliosis

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It's so true that the active approach with physical therapy, yoga, swimming, strength training is a great solution for back probs for many people. Unfortunately many turn to surgery before trying really hard at PT. It's painful, hard work, but it's very rewarding to get better and have a stronger back and knowledge about the injury or condition.

I used to scoff at yoga but now I think it's a fantastic activity and I'm very impressed by the flexibility of yoga practitioners. The McKenzie or "Cobra" is a totally necessary part of my stretching now, it's totally helped out my disc pain.

One more thing about scoliosis, my wife has a severe scoliosis and was able to learn exercises through a great sports PT and now she is a top local runner. She had 5 class golds, 3 overall silvers and a bronze this season in fairly big women's 5K races. Just two years ago she couldn't even run.

You do need a pro to analyze you for sure just get one who you can relate to and knows sports and not a primary who just gives you some pills and says don't ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Every back problem is unique. Ask your neurosurgeon or chiropractor.
    Not a Chiropractor-hes not a doctor-one of my riding buddies had back injuries and found a Doc did better, You were born with it - go to a Doc.

MTB B'dos
    DITTO, go check with your doc. You could just give it a go on some mild stuff, take it easy and see how it feels, but checking with your doc if it's bad is a good idea. I also have minor scoliosis and I've done fine for 6 years, just remember to stretch and keep limber and work on your core - 41 BTW.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics