mtbr member
    Mar 2013

AM newb trying to set up 2007 Enduro Expert for AM

I just picked up a used 2007 enduro expert with the hopes of getting started in all mountain riding. It's been set up for downhill right now. Couple questions:

-How much potential does this frame have for all mountain? I've heard it's kind of a downhiller's bike.
    -What can I do to cut weight for cheap? It's estimated at about 40 lbs, I want to break even with any new components.
    -The fork is intended for downhill, with 180mm of travel. I've been told the frame has an optimal fork travel range of 150mm-160mm. Where can I get more information on all mountain forks?
    -Where can I get more information about recommended AM F/R suspension settings?
    -Where can I get more information on all mountain riding in general, especially locally?

Here's the current set up:

Wheels - Sun SOS 32 rims, Shimano FH-M25 hubs, 32 spoke
    Spare wheel - Mavic EX729 rim, specialized hub, 36 spoke
    Tires - F: Maxxis Minion DH, R: Clutch 26x2.3
    Brakes - Avid Juicy 7's
    Shifters - Sram x5
    Rear Derailleur - Sram x9
    Front Derailleur - Shimano Deore LX
    Crank - Truvativ Stylo 172.5mm
    Rear Suspension - Fox DHX5.0
    Fork - 2007 marzocchi 66 rcv with 180mm travel
    FSA headset
    Deity 50mm stem
    Deity 171mm end-to-end grey riser handlebars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AM newb trying to set up 2007 Enduro Expert for AM-3kd3f93he5e35f35h9d36d532308798ef103b.jpg  

mtbr member
    You've asked a lot of questions here. Try using the search function on this site as well as Google

That seems like a very DH orientated build for that bike. Have you tried huffing it on some AM rides with the current build?

I think to get your bike down to the preferred AM weight range which, in general, tops out at about 34 lbs you're going to have to buy a lot of new components. First would be fork and wheels.

Maybe you should just find some good shuttle runs and get into freeriding

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    You've asked a lot of questions here. Try using the search function on this site as well as Google

That seems like a very DH orientated build for that bike. Have you tried huffing it on some AM rides with the current build?

I think to get your bike down to the preferred AM weight range which, in general, tops out at about 34 lbs you're going to have to buy a lot of new components. First would be fork and wheels.

Maybe you should just find some good shuttle runs and get into freeriding
    yeah, I just have to ride it more, learn the machine, learn and adjust as I go.

mtbr member
    Hate to tell you man, but that's an 06 or older frame. Specialized went to a new frame design in 07, if you bought it used I hope whoever sold it to you wasn't lying about its age.

As far as making it lighter for AM style riding. I'd start first with a new fork, new wheels, lighter casing tires (ie-not dh tires), tubeless setup, and a lighter bar and stem. Unfortunately that's going to set you back a fair amount of coin. But you could just leave it the way it is and enjoy it for more dh oriented riding. That bike is an absolute blast to ride down hills.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have the most of the same componentry as you except for wheels, tires, fork, & Bars. The frame is definitely a tank. I weight in at 33 lbs with a 160mm fox float fork. I wish that I had something more along the lines of the Talas to adjust travel for non AM riding (The enduro is my only bike).

I absolutely love the bike though. It takes anything I can throw at it.

Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness View Post
    Hate to tell you man, but that's an 06 or older frame. Specialized went to a new frame design in 07, if you bought it used I hope whoever sold it to you wasn't lying about its age.
    Several of the 07 frames were still this design (although I am not sure about the red color). I bought, and still have, an 07 enduro elite with this frame design.
    Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This frame was still available in 07. I have the sworks model and absolutely love it. I have mine setup almost exactly the same and mainly use it for light DH and FR. I keep a double ring up front in case I need to climb and put lighter tires on for more all mountain oriented days. This bike is def a tank!

It was halfway through 07 when they came out with the enduro sl which is a completely different frame. And I believe the red color means it was a test/demo bike for shops or demo days. But I'm not positive about that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    start with a 140-160 travel fork , non DH spec tires cause they weigh alot, (lighter wheels if you have any cash left). Those 3 things will give you the most weight savings. everything else seems fine for an "All mtn" bike. Just make sure you cockpit parts fit you comfortably.

all the fork companies have trail and all mtn forks. Just look for mid travel forks. 5 to 6 inches is good.

Look on Pinkbike.com for used gear.

You can probably find a used 140mm FOX fork for around $300 - 400.

Your DH fork will probably sell pretty well in a month or 2 when the snow melts and people start setting up their DH rigs.