mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Am I making the right move?

Buying my first full suspension.

Rider: I ride about 50 miles a week XC riding. Ride a Specialized Carve 2013 29er. I recently took a trip into the hills and I'm hooked. Looking for a bike that will fill 20% of my riding. That 20% is rough trail, lift access, and moderate pump runs. Not looking for a bike to send it huge and be the next MTB youtube sensation. I want a bike that I can push into some rough stuff, and not limp for the next 3 days like I do on the carve.

I found 2013 Specialized StumpJumper FSR Evo Expert Carbon for a smoking deal at $1600 in great shape. 26" wheels, long travel, carbon frame, and great components.

Am I headed in the right direction? I want something I can use for a few years to grow into more of an all mountain rider. I'm fairly certain 26" wheels will be sufficient for what I'm looking for

Input appreciated. The bike is the proper size for me, carries a $6400 original price, and I think its a solid deal. Just want to make sure I'm on the right avenue. Or should I just buy a full endure set up? Not really on a tight budget, but who wants to spend more than they need?

Something else to note, my purchase will be Specialized.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Am I making the right move?-stumpjumper-fsr-evo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Should be legit. If you're going to ride Double Black I'd say a DH bike is in order.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    SJ will prob handle a little better than the carve but since you already have the Carve, I'd look for something more burly like an enduro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    It got stellar reviews in 2013. I assume you've done a search and read them?
    It comes with a Performance level Fox 34 which was the weak point and at 150, a 67 degree HTA which is a bit steep by today's standards for what seems to be your application. You could probably save enough to throw a 160 on the front to slacken it out if you wanted. You might be limited in tire width, given the bike is 4 years old.
    Other than that, you'll just have to decide for yourself if it works for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Used deals are ok, if the frame pivots are good and the drivetrain isn't worn. Oh and the suspension has been rebuilt in the last 2yrs. Otherwise just spend an extra grand and get a $2500 2017 bike. The Spec SJ is a super bike, so is the Camber or a Giant Trance. Look closely at the 2013, also check out what is available new.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'd ride one and see if you like it. I had a 2012 Stumper and just didn't like the way they pedaled. Specialized FSRs tend to squat the ass end down while climbing.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks for the reply guys. I think after hearing what people have to say about buying a used full suspension, I'll just buy a new Specialized Enduro this winter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMobRide View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys. I think after hearing what people have to say about buying a used full suspension, I'll just buy a new Specialized Enduro this winter.
    Ride a few demos from different brands. That's a lot of money to throw down the drain.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with buying a used FS bike.

There's a lot more brands out there besides specialized! Dont sell yourself short.

mtbr member
    Why are you so dialled into Specialized?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Why are you so dialled into Specialized?
    I was wondering the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk