Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17

    Am I crazy?? I actually might get a Diamondback (need your help)

    Hi all,

    Recently, my mountain bike was stolen!! DOH!! Lucky for me I had renters insurance which wonderfully provided me $1.800.

    I am looking at buying a new bike and am seriously considering 3 choices from Diamonback

    The:
    Mission Pro
    Mason FS Pro
    Sortie Black 29

    The reason I am considering these bikes is that I am blessed with the opportunity to receive a significant discount on them (Mission/Mason for $3,600 and the Sortie Black 29 for $4,200).

    The bikes components are top notch out of this world.

    Everyone I've talked to has laughed when I say Diamondback, but then I show them components/frame and they change their tune...

    I understand the resale value might not be there with a DB, but it definitly will give me a great bike at the price. For instance a Specialized enduro for $4,200 would be their entry level model... whereas i'm getting the top of the line components on the Sortie Black at the same cost of an entry level enduro.

    So having said all that... Am I nuts?

    My riding style is:

    I like climbing
    I like single track
    When I do downhill, I'm not looking to get air or hit jumps, just enjoy the ride down (while still being aggresive)

    Based on that a few people recommended the Sortie Black 29, but even looking at the mission and mason look to be good climbers as well.

    Pink Bike REviews:

    Sortie Black 29 PinkBikeReview
    Mason FS
    Mission Pro

    I was looking at used bikes but in reality, I'd rather have something brand new so I know nothing component wise is compromised as well as have the warranty.

    Thoughts are appreciated.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kubikeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    547
    I rode a DB Mission for two years. I honestly regret selling it. If you're confident with fitting yourself to a bike, check out JensonUSA. They always have DB on sale.
    The cake is a lie.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nauc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,497
    whats your max budget?
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17
    My insurance gave me $1,800. The DB at my cost is $4,200. Sout my out of pocket is $2,400.

    So I'm willing to spend $4,200.

    Keep in mind, the $4,200 is the discounted price, i think the sortie black 29 msrp for $7,000.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17
    With my discount the sortie/mission/mason all come out lower than jenson offers.

    How was the climbing on the mission?

    Any experience with the sortie?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nauc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,497
    id look into this

    Yeti Cycles / Home
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    id look into this

    Yeti Cycles / Home
    Which model yeti are you referring to?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,742
    I don't see anything wrong with Diamondback in the <$1k range but in the $4k+ range there are dozens of bikes I would choose before that. My gf had a $800 hardtail that was nice but there are so many options above $4k.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nauc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by h20wakebum View Post
    which model yeti are you referring to?
    SB75 "Enduro", unless you can get the "Race" on sale or for a deal
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    SB75 "Enduro", unless you can get the "Race" on sale or for a deal
    Looking at the components of the enduro vs. the sortie black 29, (again- I'm not an expert) it appears the sortie has higher end components.

    is that accurate?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nauc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with Diamondback in the <$1k range but in the $4k+ range there are dozens of bikes I would choose before that. My gf had a $800 hardtail that was nice but there are so many options above $4k.
    x2

    if i was spending thousands, id look into Yeti, Santa Cruz, Ibis etc
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nauc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by h20wakebum View Post
    Looking at the components of the enduro vs. the sortie black 29, (again- I'm not an expert) it appears the sortie has higher end components.

    is that accurate?
    true, but you get better frames and suspension designs with other brands, and components are cheaper to change out or customize vs a frame
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

  13. #13
    Let the good times roll.
    Reputation: miniwisejosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,158
    I used to have a Mission (2009 and 2010 frames), and I think it was a fantastic bike. Main reason I switched is because I wanted to try something else. Went on to a GT Sanction, Titus El Guapo, and now Specialized SX Trail.

    The Mission/Scapegoat frame has two disadvantages to my current frame IMO. 1) can't use coil shocks. 2) Horst link bikes stick to the ground better in hard braking.

    Besides that, I would not hesitate to get another Mission or Scapegoat if the price was right. I still miss it sometimes when I'm trail riding. Handling/geo on that frame was impressively good, and the suspension worked well especially with a PUSHed Monarch (I know...they don't make those anymore ).

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    335
    I've got nothing against Diamondback, but for the amount you are looking to spend (even at your "discounted" price) those are very standard builds. If you got a last-model-year of just about any major brand you could easily match/beat those prices.
    Blur LT & Highball

  15. #15
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,938
    In my neck of the woods, you see a LOT of diamondbacks.... this is because they do TONS to support our local trailbuilding and enduro racing scene. Not a stretch to say the majority of fastest local riders are riding diamonback. Then you've got Charlie Sponsel, Kelly McGary, Billy Lewis...Their bikes are pretty dialed as a result of getting lots of direct feedback from great riders.

    So if you go that route there's certainly no reason to feel like it's not a first rate brand.

    Sortie 29 might be the best of their bikes for your riding style.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    239
    Buy a DB then blow past the snobs who think only Trek, Santa Cruz, Yeti, Ibis, etc. make real bikes... they won't like that

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by shredjekyll View Post
    Buy a DB then blow past the snobs who think only Trek, Santa Cruz, Yeti, Ibis, etc. make real bikes... they won't like that
    Nobody thinks that, but I do think that if you're spending $4k you could probably find a bike made in this country.
    Blur LT & Highball

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Nobody thinks that, but I do think that if you're spending $4k you could probably find a bike made in this country.
    There are a lot of people who think that, including some of my friends. Also, spending 4k on a bike that was made in this country vs 4k on the bike with the best components for the price and a well reviewed frame... I will go with the best components and well reviewed frame. I bought my rocky mountain slayer 70 off jensonusa solely because it was a fantastic deal (3300 down from 5300msrp) and came with excellent components.. literally no weaknesses (other than the reverb IMO).

    If I had tried to get a bike made in the U.S for 3300 it would have been absolute $h1t compared to my slayer... I could have even spent 4k on bike from U.S and slayer still would have been a lot better (component wise).. obviously it doesnt hurt that the slayer frame is fantastic.. but yeah..

    Get the bike that is the best bang for your buck (by a longshot) and then use your savings in the long run to eventually make it over the top with dream parts.

    Also if it comes down to it you can ride the frame you buy for 2-3 years then sell just the frame and swap components to a U.S custom frame or something along those lines. I may do that with my slayer. You just need to be sure to cover frame in protective material if you plan on selling for decent price..

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JHart94949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    158

    Am I crazy?? I actually might get a Diamondback (need your help)

    I have a 2013 Sortie Comp, it is a 26" loaded bike, I ride similar to you, I don't mind the climb and just have fun on the downhill without breaking bones. I was hesitant at first as a lot of my friends were buying Santa Cruz, Specialized and Ibis. I LOVE MY BIKE, it handles great components are top of the line and the knucklebox is a little heavy but performs like a dream.....I had two friends sell there bikes and buy diamondbacks, one got the mission pro an the other bought the 29" Sortie 3. Go test one of diamondbacks too end bikes and I bet you can't walk away without it......

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    160
    I'd worry more about finding the bike you like and less what other people think of the name on the frame. If you like what they're offering, what does it matter what people here think? At the promotive price too, it's a no brainer. I'm waiting for a mason pro to come back in stock in my size and I'm getting it.

    Plus, if you decide to upgrade the frame, take everything off, sell the old one, and you've still got a great group set to use on the new one for an insane deal.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by shredjekyll View Post
    There are a lot of people who think that, including some of my friends. Also, spending 4k on a bike that was made in this country vs 4k on the bike with the best components for the price and a well reviewed frame... I will go with the best components and well reviewed frame. I bought my rocky mountain slayer 70 off jensonusa solely because it was a fantastic deal (3300 down from 5300msrp) and came with excellent components.. literally no weaknesses (other than the reverb IMO).
    Okay, but Rocky Mountain is made in Canada. I didn't mean it could -only- be made in the US, but it's a far cry from Diamondback whose bikes are all made in Taiwan and 95% of which go straight to Walmart's shelves...
    Blur LT & Highball

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,351

    Am I crazy?? I actually might get a Diamondback (need your help)

    I know nothing about how the frames ride, but I would go the Mason pro at $3600 as my first choice. I don't view the crank brothers wheels and cockpit as an upgrade over the Havens and race face components on the less expensive bike. Unless you are a pro racer the difference between XO and XX on the two bikes is purely academic.

    Bank the $600 you save for future upgrades or to put towards a different frame if you decide you don't like the diamondback.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

  23. #23
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,928
    there "weapons grade aluminum" claims makes me laugh but i would have no issues buying a nice db.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    I'd worry more about finding the bike you like and less what other people think of the name on the frame. If you like what they're offering, what does it matter what people here think? At the promotive price too, it's a no brainer. I'm waiting for a mason pro to come back in stock in my size and I'm getting it.

    Plus, if you decide to upgrade the frame, take everything off, sell the old one, and you've still got a great group set to use on the new one for an insane deal.
    Yep.

    I think the diamondback is hands down the best bang for buck.

    My out of pocket cost for the Sortie Black 29 is $2,400.

    The components are insane and i've heard nothing but good things about this bike.

    My only questions is should i go with a medium or small frame? I'm 5'10" so the medium is where i fit, but i keep hearing people talking about going with smaller size frames.

    -RR

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    I know nothing about how the frames ride, but I would go the Mason pro at $3600 as my first choice. I don't view the crank brothers wheels and cockpit as an upgrade over the Havens and race face components on the less expensive bike. Unless you are a pro racer the difference between XO and XX on the two bikes is purely academic.

    Bank the $600 you save for future upgrades or to put towards a different frame if you decide you don't like the diamondback.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.
    I can see your points.

    I was talking to the diamondback rep. and he said based off of my riding style (love the climb, cross country, downhill (not hitting jumps) the sortie would be the best fit. The Mason also looked like a really good bike. I do think though the extra components on the sortie are worth it. For instance the wheels alone are $1000.

    regardless i have some choices to make hehe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Am I Crazy?
    By jdubyatsx in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-12-2013, 02:24 PM
  2. Crazy Diamondback Stories?
    By socalkev in forum Diamondback
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2012, 09:36 PM
  3. Please Help - Going Crazy
    By gigabyte772 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-11-2012, 03:25 PM
  4. I'm going crazy!
    By Bikinaz in forum Commuting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-30-2011, 09:01 AM
  5. Crazy day...
    By Dude! in forum Knolly
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 03:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •