mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Am I Crazy to buy a 29er this year?

I was convinced to buy a 27.5 but after reading endless reviews to the point of bursting my brain, it seems like the Sumpjumper 29 EVO Carbon is an excellent ride. I already climb decently but I suck at downhill confidence. So the SJ seems like the perfect fit, except? It's a 29er. With 650B being the rage, will I forever regret dropping 5k on a 2014 SJ instead of waiting and waiting for my Giant Anthem Advanced SX to come in?

Ugh, i'm reading to many reviews! I've ridden a Scott Genius 710 fun but reviews say the shock is rough on descends which I already have a Trance Advanced 1 29er that does the same thing, so I'll pass for now. I've ridden the Mach 4 Pivot - Awesome ride for sure but out of my price point evenmore if I want a dropper post. I've tride the Scott spark 700 adn 710, but like the Genius more feel wise.

$5k CDN is my budget so I'm looking for a used 2014 rig but not too many options right now except for this SJ 29er.

mtbr member
    No you are not crazy. 29ers are not going the way of the 26er. Plenty of other threads on this. They are still a popular choice and the best in the minds of many people including myself.
    I thought for sure I was going to buy a 27.5 a year ago, and I test rode all the top bikes. 29 felt better every test ride I did. Even my old 29er felt better than these new bikes I was testing. (not making generalizations about wheel size, just my personal taste, that's all!)
    If you like 29, buy 29.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    If you like 29, buy 29.
    Yup.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    If the SJ fits your body and riding style there is no good reason not to go 29. I've only been on a 29 once for about 30 seconds so I can't give a 650b vs 29 opinion. I excluded them from my search because of the crazy high stack numbers.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    No, as long as you buy the Evil Following

mtbr member
    Ok, first of all, the Anthem is an XC race bike and it's not that similar to a Stumpy Evo at all. So I don't know how those 2 are your top choices... kind of strange to me.

But regarding 29ers, certainly they are mainstream and if you like how they ride, buy one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    And all the people that say "they're cumbersome, no fun, can't corner, blah blah blah" that's garbage. Newer 29er bikes designed for all mountain use, with shorter chain stays, modern geo and often surprisingly light weights, are tons of fun. Hell, the #1 woman Enduro racer in the world and #3 guy both race on 29ers. Buy what you like, don't worry about what other people say. It's all about what puts a smile on your face out on the trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Watch this vid of a 29 Following running away from a prototype carbon Transition Scout 27.5.
    ONE LAP - Lars Sternberg & Luke Strobel, Xanadu - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Watch this vid of a 29 Following running away from a prototype carbon Transition Scout 27.5.
    ONE LAP - Lars Sternberg & Luke Strobel, Xanadu - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB
    It looked to me like they stayed together the whole time.

mtbr member
    It looked to me like they stayed together the whole time.
    Looked to me like the front rider is quicker on the descents and the rear (cameraman) catches up on some climbs.

The video has nothing to do with 29er vs 26 vs 27.5 vs whatever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post

The video has nothing to do with 29er vs 26 vs 27.5 vs whatever.
    Then you missed the point. Clearly this means that smilinsteve riding an Evil Following would be faster than Lars Sternberg on a Transition Scout 27.5. Yes!

mtbr member
    Then you missed the point. Clearly this means that smilinsteve riding an Evil Following would be faster than Lars Sternberg on a Transition Scout 27.5. Yes!
    legit LOL.

I am a bit confused that The Following was actually The Leading.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't ride a bike that didn't meet my riding needs. The latest crop of 26, 27.5 and 29er offerings give a lot of options to meet riding styles and preferences. Thank goodness manufacturers realized that a long travel aggressive 29er makes sense for those that want to ride their bike that way and someday I might just own one.

If it doesn't meet your needs move on - if it gives you what you want go ride!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Have you demoed the SJ 29? Did you like it? There's your answer.

Don't buy a bike that doesn't grab you. You already own a bike that's fit-for-purpose, so it's not like you need a new one by any stretch. Which is a great place to be - you can take your time and get something that's a really great fit for you without missing riding days or even having to ride something sub-par.

FWIW, I love my 29er. But if I ask the Internet what bike to buy, it's on the XC forum, so we're probably looking for different things.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    And all the people that say "they're cumbersome, no fun, can't corner, blah blah blah" that's garbage. Newer 29er bikes designed for all mountain use, with shorter chain stays, modern geo and often surprisingly light weights, are tons of fun.
    There are some new 29ers that have chainstays the same length as my 26" FS bike. Curved seat tube, no front derailleur, modified shock linkages... all very clever.

I'm sure they are more agile than older 29er geomtery.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Those guys are pretty equal riders.
    What I see, imo, who knows, I could be wrong is just because Lars fell off the trail at 6:56 and Luke didn't, that doesn't mean 29ers are more stable to ride AM.
    I also saw that the Evil turned quick and capable in some tight cuts no problems with wheel size.
    And on the straights the 29er appeared to roll faster like it's supposed to.

Sir crash-a-lot
    The only thing I saw was pure jealousy, one we have no trails like that around Ft Worth Tx and two, I lost my jeuvos to ride that fast across the top of a mountain the last time I violently cases a triple racing mx and had my knees cut on, marine corps career ended, and had to get a real job.

But on topic, if you like the 29er and it does what you want I'd go for it. The tires aren't going anywhere. Hell I still ride a 2 year old 26er because I love it and the 29er I bought wasn't the right feel for me. Next ride will probably be a 650b bike because the Giants I demo'd felt very right. It's all in whether what you're dropping your hard earned money on makes you happy or not.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks Guys! That Evil looks freaking knarly! Seems hard to get though and out of my budget. I orignally wanted a 120mm travel XC/Trail but road a Genius 710 and it just felt way better then the spark so I'm now trying out longer travel bikes. The SJ 2014 got great reviews and the s-works trail bike of the year from Dirt 100, so hence my reason for going to try it tomorrow and see if it's a fit.

The Evil looks awesome, but shipped to Canada is $6.8k CDN!

mtbr member
    I rode a Niner Rip 9. Great trail bike. Demoed an Enduro 29 and was like WTF. Now I have an E29. My E29 times are a just as quick going up as my RIP even though the E29 moved a lot more. But going down is now effortless. Faster in the tight and twisty and easier to pop some of the slower drops I encounter. The balance is so different it's crazy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just bought a stumpjumper expert carbon 29er after demoing a lot of bikes including most specialized, the anthem 27.5 and a few others. 29er works for me, it makes up for my shortcomings in skill in a few areas and I just find myself riding better and enjoying it more.
    Climbing is brilliant I might add.

Test ride is the best bet you have to getting what you really like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ifreedom View Post
    Thanks Guys! That Evil looks freaking knarly! Seems hard to get though and out of my budget. I orignally wanted a 120mm travel XC/Trail but road a Genius 710 and it just felt way better then the spark so I'm now trying out longer travel bikes. The SJ 2014 got great reviews and the s-works trail bike of the year from Dirt 100, so hence my reason for going to try it tomorrow and see if it's a fit.

The Evil looks awesome, but shipped to Canada is $6.8k CDN!
    Calgary...just go pick it up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Calgary...just go pick it up.
    You mean drive to Seattle? XD now if I lived in Vancouver, that be a different deal.

Chris Bling
    One of the many great things about 29ers is you can run a 27.5+ wheelset. Hello low tire pressures and extra traction!
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ifreedom View Post
    You mean drive to Seattle? XD now if I lived in Vancouver, that be a different deal.
    What it takes to get the deal done.
    Then you're set.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a SJ FSR EXPERT EVO 29. 2014 model so quite discounted. The rear shock needs a look at though, so it's off to Fox for a re-build which is odd being that it's brand new! Should be ready in 2-3 weeks for some riding! Now, do I need carbon rims...hmm...