Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Don't skid

AM hardtails, part 2

So I posted a question about AM hardtails about a month and a half ago. I have a P2 (long) that I wanted to use as a AM hardtail but the frame is just to small. I love it on the downhills but I need a slightly bigger frame if I want to ride it for extended periods of time uphill.
    So my question is for any frames that could be used for this. Strength and stiffness is the number one priority. I was thinkng of the SC Cameleon, does anyone else have other ideas to consider? Doesn't Banshee make a hardtail like this?
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

mtbr member
    the banshee hardtail is the sciracco I believe. that looks like a really sweet frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sinister Ridge

Formerly DMR For Life
    DMR Trailstar LT

never ender
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    So I posted a question about AM hardtails about a month and a half ago. I have a P2 (long) that I wanted to use as a AM hardtail but the frame is just to small. I love it on the downhills but I need a slightly bigger frame if I want to ride it for extended periods of time uphill.
    So my question is for any frames that could be used for this. Strength and stiffness is the number one priority. I was thinkng of the SC Cameleon, does anyone else have other ideas to consider? Doesn't Banshee make a hardtail like this?

Yup...the Banshee Scirocco. If my lower back wasn't so messed up, I might be riding one instead of my Heckler. I've never ridden one (at 6'5", I don't get to test-ride many bikes) but if I were to buy a second bike today the Scirocco would probably be high on the list. Going by the geo numbers on the Banshee site, the Scirocco is longer and slacker than an SC Chameleon.

mtbr member
    Scirocco gets my vote. I've ridden one a bit, and they're great.

mtbr member
    How is the banshee for XC riding? I was thinking of getting one for a burly xc rig. The geometry and weight dont look too bad. Is it a bad idea?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocpyro
    How is the banshee for XC riding? I was thinking of getting one for a burly xc rig. The geometry and weight dont look too bad. Is it a bad idea?
    It's probably a little bit overkill, but it'd be just fine. I wouldn't want to race one, but for just riding XC non competively it's a good fit, especially if you're a bit of a Clyde.

banned
    Another vote for the Scirocco. Excellent geometry with nice short chain stays for climbing, wheelies, manuals etc....

With an adjustable front end you can crank the fork down, raise the saddle and climb all day.

Trail points down hill fast and you can quickly drop the saddle. Raise the front end and you have a totally different handling bike. The morphing geometry really works.

mtbr member

456 Inbred

My vote is for a 456 Inbred. Awesome steel frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    It's probably a little bit overkill, but it'd be just fine. I wouldn't want to race one, but for just riding XC non competively it's a good fit, especially if you're a bit of a Clyde.

I am a clyde, what would hold me back from racing? Its 4.3 lbs, really not too heavy. 69% headtube angle(i think) isnt too raked out. I hear they climb well, I know they descend well. I have a new vanilla 130r I wanted to put on it. Maybe some fairly light wheels. Im 190, 6'2", w/ strong legs, and a very aggressive and charging riding style. I could prolly build it up at sub 27lbs, What would hold me back from XC racing? should I just get a stumpjumper?(I want something beefier than that)

mtbr member
    I am a clyde, what would hold me back from racing? Its 4.3 lbs, really not too heavy. 69% headtube angle(i think) isnt too raked out. I hear they climb well, I know they descend well. I have a new vanilla 130r I wanted to put on it. Maybe some fairly light wheels. Im 190, 6'2", w/ strong legs, and a very aggressive and charging riding style. I could prolly build it up at sub 27lbs, What would hold me back from XC racing? should I just get a stumpjumper?(I want something beefier than that)
    Nothing really, I guess I just meant it wouldn't be an ideal XC race rig. You would be just fine testing the waters so to speak. It would be more bike than my skinny 130# ass could haul around all that well at race intensity, but it would be well suited to a bigger rider. Go for it.

Don't skid
    Quote Originally Posted by desmo
    My vote is for a 456 Inbred. Awesome steel frame.
    agreed . That will be my next hardtail (as soon as I destroy my standard Inbred).
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

banned
    Being a clyde with your riding style sounds like a Scirocco would be fine for you. If your not out to win Norba Nationals racing and just have fun, you'll be fine. Plus you'll have a fun bike for jumping, wheeling, dinking around etc...

Four what its worth my Scirocco with a Pike, 2.5" tires and medium wieght parts build comes in at 29 pounds. With lighter weight parts, wheels, tires etc. You could easily hit a 27lbs target. Not a bad bike wieght for an agressive Clyde.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll
    Being a clyde with your riding style sounds like a Scirocco would be fine for you. If your not out to win Norba Nationals racing and just have fun, you'll be fine. Plus you'll have a fun bike for jumping, wheeling, dinking around etc...

Four what its worth my Scirocco with a Pike, 2.5" tires and medium wieght parts build comes in at 29 pounds. With lighter weight parts, wheels, tires etc. You could easily hit a 27lbs target. Not a bad bike wieght for an agressive Clyde.
    Ha, yea, I already got bikes for the extreme stuff(sweet custom giant STP, planet x jackflash, both for da urban/ dirtjump/ freeride, and a BT 5.0 for trials comps) but really, I just want somethin I can race, and really thrash around too, Id use a fairly light wheelset prolly, so no crazy jumps or anything(got those bikes). Hey, so MOJO is in your name, are you from the austin area? Im from college station, I ride out your direction sometimes, noice stuff!

mtbr member
    If you already have a couple of bikes to thrash on, and want somthing to race, I'd get more of an XC oriented bike, presonally. The Scirocco is a great bike for sure, but it might be a bit of a misfit for your application. You'd probably still have a gas on it though.

mtbr member
    I guess thats really what Im looking for, a bike to have a gas on. I will mainly just have fun on it as an off road bike(my other bikes are set up pretty urban, short stems, super stiff forks, hookworms, can be ridden on trails by changing tires, but still not exactly ideal). you know, really for the most part as an all mountain hardtail(is there a better bike than a hardtail, really? ) , all arounder, for night rides, weekend trips, and some occasional races. I mean, last time I raced was on a Specialized hardrock, and finished top 5.

I guess what I want is a beefy, light, solid, do everything bike that handles well. But then again, who doesnt? hehe

mtbr member
    Scirocco it is then.

I can't weld

Did somebody say Jack Flash and XC?!

Ha, yea, I already got bikes for the extreme stuff(sweet custom giant STP, planet x jackflash, both.....

banned
    For what its worth. I have a 75mm stem I ride 80% of the time on my Scirocco. Perfect for jumping and all out haveing fun.

For epic rides or 2000ft of climbing in the Sierra's. I slap on a 100mm to get out over the front wheel more. Makes the climbs much easier. The short stem the front end wants to wander to much.

I gave up racing tens years ago. Now I just enjoy getting out on a bike and having fun.

As Hardtails Are Better mentioned. The Scirocco wouldnt be a good choice if you were wanting to use it for serious racing. Its more of a blast bike to ride. Entering an ocassional race for shits and giggles kinda ride.Doesnt over accel in a given category, nor does it underperform.

BTW.....build a wheel set strong enought to jump on. You'll want to jump everything you see on this frame. Its just so much fun.

Your bike is incorrigible

How come...

no one mentioned the Santa Cruz Chameleon? Did I miss that one? Build it up as an urban bike one day, and rebuild it as a geared race bike the next. Pretty tough frame, too.

banned
    I didnt mention the Chameleon because I had terrible CS on a Bullit. Customer Service is high on my list of priorities.

Banshee has a ten year warentee. Its a Canadian build bike made for pounding. Have'nt used Banshees CS, but I've heard nothing but good things about'em. Seeing how I'm a light weigth rider. I doubt I ever have to warentee my frame. The Scirocco is over built for my riding weight. I'd break bones before the frame fail's.

How many frame builders are offering more than a year or two warrentee? Ten years is a long time on a frame. Obviously Banshee is confident about thier product and willing to back it up.

mtbr member
    Yes!!!! I just won a 2005 Scirocco frame off ebay for $227. Noice! gonna start buildin soon, guys. Ive got a set of rhinolites that'll go on for now, but Im gonna want something lighter soon. that, and a Vanilla 130r thats layin around. This is gonna be a fun bike! Thanks for the advice guys!!!

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll
    I didnt mention the Chameleon because I had terrible CS on a Bullit. Customer Service is high on my list of priorities.

Banshee has a ten year warentee. Its a Canadian build bike made for pounding. Have'nt used Banshees CS, but I've heard nothing but good things about'em. Seeing how I'm a light weigth rider. I doubt I ever have to warentee my frame. The Scirocco is over built for my riding weight. I'd break bones before the frame fail's.

How many frame builders are offering more than a year or two warrentee? Ten years is a long time on a frame. Obviously Banshee is confident about thier product and willing to back it up.
    Yep, ten years is hard to beat.

I was just throwing out one more frame into the mix. I wasn't saying that one is better than the other. When it comes down to it, customer service and lengthy warranties are definitely a deciding factor with me as well.

mtbr member
    Yes!!!! I just won a 2005 Scirocco frame off ebay for $227. Noice! gonna start buildin soon, guys. Ive got a set of rhinolites that'll go on for now, but Im gonna want something lighter soon. that, and a Vanilla 130r thats layin around. This is gonna be a fun bike! Thanks for the advice guys!!!
    Schaweet! We need pics!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast