mtbr member
    Jun 2006

AM Hardtail: On-one 456. Flat wide bar setups

Hi All-
    I have been riding my On-one Inbred 456 w/ a Fox Float 140 RLC for a couple months now and really enjoying it. Sturdy bike, lots of fun, yadda yadda yadda. When I moved up to the 140m fork, the front end gain a lot of height compared to my previous setups. I run a stem with only 6 degrees of rise (80mm) and have the steerer cut pretty short with only two spacers below. Running my moderate rise bar (FSA, 25mm rise, 660mm width, 8 deg backsweep) I always felt like the front end was too tall. The grips were about an 1/2 inch above the saddle, whereas all my previous bikes we either well below that (old school xc, like 4" difference lol) or maybe 1/2"-1" below. On my cannondale jekyll, which had a pretty tall front end, the grips were still around 1/2" lower than the saddle.

I know that a lot of 29'er riders run inverted stems or flat bars so the flat bar market has expanded. I started looking into the various width/sweep combinations out there to see if I could find one with at least 9 deg of sweep and at least 675mm wide. I found a Syncros AM Flat Top Bar on teh 'bay for only $30 shipped so I ordered it up. Specs are 690mm wide, 10 deg sweep, 31.8 clamp. I put it on this morning and it looks to have done exactly what I want, bring the bar back to slightly below the saddle height. Taking it for a spin around the driveway felt pretty good, so I am eager to give it a run this weekend.

One thing occurred to me after I had this all set up, and that is that I don't seem many guys on 26" bikes running flat bars unless it is an all out XC race rig. On all-mountain hardtails, I couldn't remember seeing any when I was doing my research into the On-one. 29'er guys run them all the time, but I was wondering if there is anyone else out there running a setup like what I have now: A wide, flat bar on a 26" AM Hardtail with a 5"+ fork. Just curious if I the only one who finds the front end just a bit too high with these longer travel forks. Let me know!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It is something that I've been seriously considering for my chameleon. With the fork in 140mm I do find the front a bit high. I've got a bit of space I can remove first and am planning on a new stem anyways.

If I still don't like it I've been eyeing up a sunline v-one flat bar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I run a 0 degree rise stem on my 456 and that feels pretty good to me. But I've only been running 120mm suspension (I'm about to swap forks to a 130 mm). I don't expect it to feel like my pure XC rigs, that's kind of the point of my 456 build.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville
    I run a 0 degree rise stem on my 456 and that feels pretty good to me. But I've only been running 120mm suspension (I'm about to swap forks to a 130 mm). I don't expect it to feel like my pure XC rigs, that's kind of the point of my 456 build.
    I really did not want it to feel like a pure XC rig either, which is why I got a hardtail with slacker angles. The front end was just a lot higher than I was used to as compared to my previous AM bike, and others that I had ridden. I made a jump from a 125mm to the 140mm fork, which I think was more of a ride height difference then I anticipated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by apat13
    I made a jump from a 125mm to the 140mm fork, which I think was more of a ride height difference then I anticipated.
    Yeah, I've been very happy with mine at 120mm but the fork has seen better days and the A2C on the 130mm fork I'm replacing it with is only like 5mm different than my 120 so I'm thinking I will not notice a difference.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

screamer
    What am I missing here? Any particular reason you didn't just move the spacers to above the stem? That's at least 25mm right there: five minute job, nothing extra to buy.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie
    What am I missing here? Any particular reason you didn't just move the spacers to above the stem? That's at least 25mm right there: five minute job, nothing extra to buy.
    What you are missing are the pictures after I cut the fork steerer down (didn't take any before removing the bar). After cutting down the steerer, I was running the stem with only one 2.5mm spacer below it and it still measured around 1/2" higher than the saddle. Just felt off to me.

As it is setup now with the flat bar, there are 10 mm of spacers under the stem, giving me an overall drop of 17.5 mm. The added width also brings me a little closer to the front end, so there is a little more weight on the front wheel. I am eager to ride it on some dirt and see what (if any) difference there is in the handling.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I recently put the 700mm Truvativ SS bars on my Terremoto and Saltamontes, so far I am liking the setup

Truvativ Stylo World Cup Single Speed Flat Bars 700mm

On Ones are awesome bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That looks like a well thought out and very fun bike! Love the paint too. What pushed to to switch to a flat bar on a build where I am guessing 99% of people would have gone riser?