Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

AM Hardtail Frames... where to start with a custom build

I just built up my own AM hardtail bike, a Sette Reken with 100mm of travel (more of an XC bike... but what I don't know won't hurt me) and have been seeing all kinds of hardtail frames online ever since. Just want to know what's out there for frames that are built for 100mm+ of travel

Probably in pain.
    Mar 2013

my baby

AM Hardtail Frames... where to start with a custom build-p4pb9313001.jpg

This is my baby. Production Privee Shan. Chromoly frame built for a 150-160mm fork. The xFusion Vengeance you see on it has been reduced (after this photo was taken) to 155mm.

This frame isn't for sale in the States yet, but if you can get it, it is amazing.

Steel is real!!
    I can do this.....Wait.....Dammit..... "Dude, Why is your arm pointed sideways?"

mtbr member
    Go through the hardtail pics thread and feel your wallet quaking in terror!

That's probably the best place to look, there's everything from shoestring builds to WTF how much?! It's a good snapshot of what's available.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

My baby

AM Hardtail Frames... where to start with a custom build-raleigh-4.jpg
    2002 RALEIGH M60..... You dont need 150mm of travel to kick @$$...

Probably in pain.
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WillT19 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raleigh 4.jpg 
Views:	652 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	784076
    \

I think I saw one of those in a bike museum once when i was a tyke...
    I can do this.....Wait.....Dammit..... "Dude, Why is your arm pointed sideways?"

mtbr member

My baby

This is my bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My bike is my best friend... you get the idea

100mm Recon Solo-Air TK
    Sette Reken FrameAM Hardtail Frames... where to start with a custom build-imag0175.jpg

From what I've seen if you go with slack geometry you don't get great climbing ability... basically a downhill bike with hardtail

I'm hoping to have found a happy medium with this

Probably in pain.
    Mar 2013
    That's the crux. What differentiates between an XC bike and and AM bike? If you have straight up geometry, you can't really call it an AM bike. For it to be AM, you have to have a compromise. It must be able to descend, climb, corner, and take a beating more than a dedicated XC rig.

I find that it isn't the rake which makes it hard to climb, but often the position afforded by a longer fork. I added a dropper post, crank the seat up high, and I can climb just about anything on it with no issues. Where it shines is the fact that I can slay technical rocky and root infested sections, peg drops, and point it down things that would cause my XC bike to shiver.

Off the back...
    Slack front end FTW. I enjoy the hell out of my On-One 456 Carbon. I put a TALAS 160 on it, which puts it in the 66-degree range in terms of head angle. The only thing holding me back on this thing is lack of skill. Also, at a little over $500, it's a fargin' steal.

≈ > ♥
    This is where the 150 or 160mm travel-adjust forks come into play.
    Can make them long and slack for descents, and drop em down to steepen the angle up for pedalling ascents.

Here's one of mine. This one's built a little lighter, but still gets thrown off drops and into the chunky stuff:

AM Hardtail Frames... where to start with a custom build-zero-march2dirtytrailwork.jpg

undercover brother
    Transition transAM, Privee Shan, any Ragley frame, on one 456, Chromag stylus...

mtbr member
    Has anyone bought one of these or had any experience with them? BTR Fabrications

GAME ON!
    chromag and evil make some nice am hardtails
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    Transition transAM, Privee Shan, any Ragley frame, on one 456, Chromag stylus...
    All good frames, But my vote is for the transam as well. I ride it more than my enduro which cost 4,000. My transam was 1000 used.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post
    All good frames, But my vote is for the transam as well. I ride it more than my enduro which cost 4,000. My transam was 1000 used.
    The nice thing with the TransAM is it is much more XC friendly than most of your AMHT, allowing you it to be a "do-all" bike, but it will still shred the descents too.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What about all the new 29er AM hardtails? I have a Kona Honzo with a 140mm fork and that sucker is the bee's knees. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did my Niner WFO that I pulled the parts from. There's also the Canfield Yelli Screamy and Nimble 9 as well as a bunch of others that I am too lazy to look up right now.

I'm sure some of you guys will argue with me, but as far as I am concerned hardtails and 29er wheels go together like, um, stuff that goes really good together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WillT19 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raleigh 4.jpg 
Views:	652 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	784076

Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    What about all the new 29er AM hardtails? I have a Kona Honzo with a 140mm fork and that sucker is the bee's knees. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did my Niner WFO that I pulled the parts from. There's also the Canfield Yelli Screamy and Nimble 9 as well as a bunch of others that I am too lazy to look up right now.

I'm sure some of you guys will argue with me, but as far as I am concerned hardtails and 29er wheels go together like, um, stuff that goes really good together.
    This guy knows what's up. After owning a Ragley Blue Pig, On-One 456 SS, and Transition TransAM, I'm never going back to 26er wheels, especially on an All-Mountain style hardtail. The way the Kona Honzo rides, the much more aggressive lines I now take, and finally being on a bike that fits my 6"4" size has been definitely eye opening last season when I made the switch and can't wait a few more weeks to start riding again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Dang!!! Thats a nice Raleigh...

mtbr member
    I wish my bike was as nice as that raleigh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    chromag and evil make some nice am hardtails
    +1 Chromag
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    recently finished my Reken, you have to be careful tho on the fork travel, its only recommended for 100mm. this pike is set at 120mm
    So far i do enjoy it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AM Hardtail Frames... where to start with a custom build-reken.jpg  

"foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Didn't the OP ask what options are available to take advantage of his 100mm of travel? Not every trail is good to ride with 150mm fork...

I have a Dialled Bikes Prince Albert. It's classified as an aggressive XC frame. I run a Sektor 120-150mm dual position fork on it. I typically ride in the 120 setting everywhere. I pop it to 150mm when I have long descents or think I'll be hitting some chutes. I used to have a Pike set at 130mm and that was a very nice setup.

Otherwise, the 150mm setting puts my BB too high for good handling on technical single track.

I am looking at trying to pick up a Dialled Bikes Alpine frame. It's got a slacker head angle and geo that keeps the bb lower with longer forks. I think it's a great compromise for the type of riding in the area that ranges from XC, mountain epics, to bike park-like stuff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AM Hardtail Frames... where to start with a custom build-pa-rack.jpg  

Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Never mind. I see he asked for 100mm"+" travel
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Here's a pic of 3 hardtails:

AM Hardtail Frames... where to start with a custom build-british-steel-beav.jpg

On-One 456 with a RS Rev (now he's running a Sektor RL dual position)
    Dialled Bikes Prince Albert with a Pike (now on Sektor RL)
    Dialled Bikes Alpine with a Pike
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    AM Hardtail Frames... where to start with a custom build-photo.jpg

NS surge with Zoke 66RC at 150mm. That was too slack (it was as tall as my 66rc3 180mm). Currently has a pike u-turn. Great for aggressive trail riding and some air time. This bike has a lower BB, makes it fun to descend, makes it a pain in the rear to pedal through tall rocky sections.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm on my second TransAM. The first was a 26er, the new one is a 29er. The 29er frame's amazing - Japanese steel and a 67.5 head tube angle with a 140 mm Fox 34 fork. Throw in some wide bars, a short stem, fat tires and a dropper post you've got a damn fun trail bike.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast