Thread: AM hardtail ?

Portland, OR

AM hardtail ?

I've just been noticing that a lot of people use full squish bikes for more AM type riding, but...I used to do AM/XC on a Ironhorse Warrior Sport. reciently i've been kinda wanting to do more XC/AM riding but I have no clue as to what bike to look into. I've been thinking about getting a Ironhorse Warrior Comp ( http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/bikes/index.asp?ID=27 ) and useing it for more XC/AM riding. they have one at my LBS for $549.99 and it looks really tempting, because I used to have a warrior and I know what good bikes they are. but my riding style has changed on the trail ( from me riding my P. for trail ) so I am hitting slightly bigger stuff now. I think the only problem I see is that maybe the manitou axel fork wouldent be the greatest. I was thinking maybe something like a reba or a RockShox Tora (u-turn 85-130) or maybe should I just buy something like a hardrock pro or rockhopper ? I wouldent be getting it right away, but just something to save up for. I want to be able to climb again 8sp-35pound P. bike isnt fun to ride on the trails
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

What are you looking at?
    My friend just got a Norco Charger a while ago, and it's a really good bike for the price. You get a 5inch travel fork (Marzocchi AM), Hydrolic disk brakes, and it's only 30(ish) pounds.

I don't know much about Iron Horse, but the Warrior does look like alot bike for your buck.

http://www.norco.com/ts/pass/norco06...rger&col=black
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

ride hard take risks
    What exactly is going through your mind

What are you looking at?
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Who?
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by R1D3R
    Who?
    Todd_fr sorry i wasnt specific

Portland, OR
    what ?

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

ride hard take risks
    You have a awsome trip planed & the main bike starts to crumble, more stress than you need beffor a vacation of fun. Are you debating throwing in the towl & start all over again or just looking for a replacement HT

Portland, OR
    You have a awsome trip planed & the main bike starts to crumble, more stress than you need beffor a vacation of fun. Are you debating throwing in the towl & start all over again or just looking for a replacement HT
    ohh no, I start a new job after I get back, so i'll have extra $$$ laying around. just wierd things came up after my vacation. i'm not gonna bring a XC bike or whistler its just after whistler.

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Freshly Fujified

Save your money

Buy a better bike. The fork on that bike is a noodle. You're better off getting something like the Rockhopper Comp Disc. Keep in mind that I'm taking into consideration that by "All Mountain" you're talking about aggressive riding, and not just twisty singletrack with little or no technical terrain. If the latter is more your intended use, then the IH might suffice, especially if you're a lighter rider.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    ahh, the joys of riding AM.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Here's a recent thread if you havent seen it: Show off your AM HTs

Are you looking for complete bike suggestions or frame suggestions?

Have you looked at what Ibex has to offer? I've seen good reviews of their bikes & they seem to offer better components than alot of bikes in their price range (not sure what the IH price is).

Personally, if I were buying a complete HT I think I'd go w/ one of the Specialized HardRock bikes. A friend has one & I've ridden several times, it takes alot of abuse, the frame is pretty stout, biggest weakpoint would probably be the fork.

There's also the Giant Ranier which, looks pretty good. The Jamis Komodo Series seem pretty similar to the HardRock, I sat on one at the LBS & liked the feel, although a bit on the hefty side.

A really versatile frame if youre by any chance going to build a bike is the Santa Cruz Chameleon (which I'm building). Will take alot of abuse, can be built light or burly & IIRC will handle up to 150mm fork. Post your lizards. (Chameleon)

Portland, OR
    yea, I currently have an ibex. Ibes does have an AM series, but the IH almost is giving the XC hardtails a run for their money. plus Performance bikes always has crazy deals, my last XC bike I bought there. came with joytech/dual duty XC rims, MZ comp and MX-2 brakes. also a full alivio drivetrain...how much did it cost me ? $239.99

the SC Chameleon I could not go for, because knowing myself, it would never end up being a trail bike. it would become my primary DJ/street rig.

the Komodo ... I cant believe I forgot about those. they are hard to find tho.

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member

Chameleon

Here is my take on the AM/FR/XC Hardtail.

Santa Cruz Chameleon frame w/RS Pike fork, Hadley 20mm ft hub, Sun Ryno rims, Magura Louise FR brakes, Kenda Nevegal tires (2.5 ft/2.35 rear), Brooklyn Machine Works DH saddle, E-13 Bashguard, Easton Vice Stem (60mm) and Time Z pedals. The whole setup weights 31.5 lbs including pedals.

I'm in the process of making a couple of changes. The 2.5 DH tire in front is being replaced with a lighter 2.35, the DH saddle with an XC style, Time Z's with Time Aluim and bashguard with the large ring. That should drop the overall weight to 30 lbs.

Is an AM HT better than an FS? I really can't say but it works for me. Still trying to decide on a possible FS.
    REV

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Kona Cowan, PIKE, DeeMax, 2.5 Nevegals

Plenty All Mountain capable. But also works great for mountainbiking.