Thread: am or fr

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

am or fr

I am due for a new bike and was wondering if I should go with a fr or am. I do am type of riding but I LOVE the extra travel, I don't care about which pedals better as long as I can pedal it to the top. I go to a bike park a couple times a year, and I was also wondering if a am 29er would be faster than a fr 26er, or the other way. The riding I do is mostly staying on the ground just halling ass to bottom of the mountain.

mtbr member
    180mm 26er is going to be (much) better at the bike park, but whether it is 'faster' depends on your riding style and your local trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    My local trails are mostly single track filled with rock garden and some technical areas, as for my type of riding, I don't jump, or do many drop offs, I just like to fly over technical terrain as fast as possible

mtbr member
    If your not jumping much i think a 160mm travel am bike with a dialed suspension set up would be all you need to fly down the hill. Something like a enduro, slayer etc would be super fast and plush.
    'keep the mission alive!'

mtbr member
    What no drops? No jumps? Get a 29er with 120mm. That will be your fastest bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    no air whips + go real fast downhill + still climb to the top = Giant Trance X 29er

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Giant Reign....more travel ReignX if you want a plush capable climber.

usually cranky
    gotta agree with a 29er if you are staying planted and just want to haul (assuming it fits you of course). one of the new fangled "am" 29ers like an enduro or remedy would be sweet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Or do what I did...order a 650b rear, 29 front capitan Zeus from ventana...160mm rear and 150mm front! Shorter chainstays for more fun jumps and manuals, but 29 front end for stability at speed...

mtbr member
    IMO from a rider who rides both wheel sizes and bikes from all points of the spectrum, more "freeridish" trails at the bike park with air and jumps will be best served with a stiff long travel 26er. But if you're not doing drops it sounds to me like an all mountain 29er might be your ticket. The bigger wheels roll just as well or better through choppy terrain unless you up the travel significantly with the 26 inch wheels, then you're adding more weight which makes climbing the other 90% of everyday trails less fun. If you do go 29er make sure you go with stiff through axles front and rear, without them the increase in flex from the bigger hoops and longer frame tubes can be quite noticeable. Perhaps the new 27.5 bikes might fit the bill, I've never ridden one. Try 'em back to back on your trails and compare. All the opinions here (including mine) are exactly that, only you can truly decide.
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

mtbr member
    get an AM bike.

test ride a 29" before you buy one.

mtbr member
    budget?
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfruits View Post
    get an AM bike.

test ride a 29" before you buy one.
    Or any other bike for that matter

mtbr member
    true, Fuglio, that would be ideal. unfortunately many cannot test the bike they want because of LBS stock. I might have to drive 3hrs to test ride a bike i plan on buying next year.

OP: if you have never ridden a 29" and have your heart set on a 29" that you cannot test ride, find some with similar geo and try it out. 29" is not for everyone.

i'd pass on a FR bike if youre not dropping off of stuff.

mtbr member
    small jumps = Trail bike
    med jumps (4 ft or so) = AM
    nuts = FR
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    small jumps = Trail bike
    med jumps (4 ft or so) = AM
    nuts = FR
    I second this.

I would seriously consider you be very honest with yourself as to what you will be riding rather than what you think you will be riding. Because if you buy a bike that is too much bike for what you're riding you will not have as much fun when compared to a bike built to do what you're riding. If you're planning to get better and move up the mtb chain then I would say go with an AM bike, but how you talk now I would only suggest a trail bike at most.

I race cross country and enduro and I've come to realize having the right tool for the job will make all the difference. The rider is what makes the bike, just remember this.

I've done a write up here where I explain in great detail the differences in the mountain biking categories. If you're confused about what to get and don't understand, read this and this will help you find the right bike.

Mountain Bike Categories
    08 Enduro: '12 Van RC2, Push DHX 5 coil, Flow EX, Hope m4, 750mm bar, Blacklite Post.

Website
    http://all-mtn.com/

Elitest thrill junkie
    Wait, I can't do the drops and 20+ foot doubles I was doing on this bike? Why? it doesn't have enough travel? The BB is not low enough? The chainstays are too long?

My bike is a 6" travel 29er (160mm/155mm) with 16.9 stays and a low bottom bracket.

There are quite a few 29ers showing up now that can take some good abuse, drops, jumps, etc. Some more more nimble than others, but lots of the perceptions in this thread are way off. You shouldn't buy a wheelsize based on what someone says in a thread. Maybe give a little bit of weight to what kind of bike you're being steered towards depending on what you want to do.

Unless you are riding honest-to-god DH runs, most of the time a lighter bike and at that a 29er will be faster, if not everywhere, then overall. That doesn't mean it's the best for you or even the most fun, considering what say $2000 will buy you. If it's real honest big drops and jumps everywhere, with crazy rock gardens and super-chunk thrown in for good measure, only a DH or FR bike will feel at home and your confidence will be at it's highest. If it's less, but still ALL downhill, the all-mountain bike will be pretty fun (and of course they make em in 3 wheel-sizes now), but after that it starts getting muddy real fast. Skilled guys on 29er XC bikes can often keep faster speed on anything with slight uphills and flat sections, then there's the climb back up to whatever section and lugging around a 34lb "all mountain" bike all-day can get pretty tiring. It comes down a lot to individual skill and ability.

If it comes more down to price and only being able to afford one bike, then yes, get the bike that will "do it all", don't get the FR bike unless you plan to ride above-mentioned terrain regularly. It's extremely hard to use an FR or DH bike unless you have that terrain accessible and ride it frequently. Otherwise, you ARE better served with an AM bike. Then you just have to figure out what wheelsize to get, but much of the old perceptions from above are being eradicated by new 27.5 and 29er "AM" bikes, from more than one manufacturer.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    With the "right" geometry and skill you can "fly" downhill on a HT or short travel bike. Look at what guys are riding on the SC Blur TR. My Yeti ASR5 rips with 5 inch rear and a 140mm fork. The only thing I wish it had was a new Pike on the front. As soon as I can get one with shorter travel my AM bike might never see the light of day.

Demo some bikes and don't fall into the hype of "more travel = better". If you're not getting any air under your wheels then most Am bikes could be overkill.