View Poll Results: AM a fad or way of life

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its a marketing ploy

26 41.27%
  • No way doode...It's a #$%&@# way of life.

37 58.73%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned

AM...Fad or State of mind..

Is AM just a marketing ploy, or is it an attitude and a way of life..?
    More than cross country, less than DH or FR.

another bozo on the bus
    i would have to say its in the grey area. definately not a marketing ploy, seeing as people have been riding this way for years. but then on the other hand, it is just bikes and a way to ride them. i will end by saying i enjoy riding AM, but if there was a AM soda on the market (some would argue Dew), i probably wouldnt drink it, or find that i have been drinking it all along.
    Last edited by washedup; 08-03-2006 at 10:52 AM.

friend of preston
    Jan 2006

neither

seems like "all mountain" is just mtn. biking the way it always has been, only now with many more amenities built into the bike to make it more durable ,comfortable, capable, etc...
    you have one bike that will withstand 80-90% of what the rider will do to it and can be ridden uphill efficiently enough.

i have always thought that "all mountain" was marketing to rebrand riding to make it seem fresh and new. this same progression of terminology and catch phrases went on in snowboarding, "freeride", "all mtn"

regardless... isn't it still mtn. biking on mtn. bikes, however you may subcategorize?

add a new choice to the poll.. AM ... mtn.biking, the way its been for years.
    He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man.- Dr. Samuel Johnson

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It's all Marketing conspiracy, I'm telling you. They putting mind magnets into the magazines and advertize every piece of alu/carbon tubing like best thing in the world.
    Then using sublime messages during ads of MountainDew on the TV so the crowd rushes to the LBS and buying out Mavericks, Nomads and Enduros.
    The force is strong with them, and consumers are so weak minded

yeah ... right

Motion activated
    Total fad - 100%

I'm so sick my AM bike and I think it is high time I go back to 4" of hardtail like travel. I miss all the pinch flats, the fading 6" rotor, the twitchy angles and the flex. I also miss the forearm pump and the knots in my back. It sucks that my lower back is finally getting better. What a stupid fad, thank god we're all wising up and this whole AM craze can go the way of the yo-yo.

The only problem I can see with going back to a 4" travel bike is that I've lost ALL my skill riding a 6" travel bike. Anyone else notice they have trouble even just walking since moving to a 6" travel bike? It's even taking me longer to type this post. That 8" rotor is taking all the skill out of my fingers.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Hi!!!
    Fad.

I'm back to my hardtail SS. The Yeti and all 5+ inches of travel is up for sale on CL if anyone is interested.

And I'm going back to shaving and wearing lycra shorts and jerseys.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    AM is a Total Fad state of mind...Now single speed on the other hand, single speed defines the progression of mountain biking, which is why the top DH, FR and XC riders in the world are riding rigid single speeds, errr, wait a second, never mind. Look here you Dew drinking AM jerks, you either get single speed or you don't, it's like so Zen. So take your progressive technology and shove it while I smirk at you as I pass you on the way up and down the hill on my rigid bike that I paid less for than you did your $5000 Nomad, after all I ride single speed and am therefore automatically transformed into the best rider.

But seriously though, I rode single speed for 13 years, good for those guys but once I started riding a suspended/geared bike, I never looked back. As mountain biking progresses, so does the equipment and given the popularity and market share of AM bikes, I 'd say there is a consumer response for a bike that is more than XC but less than DH. A lot of folks used to say that FR and DH was a fad too, now look at it. People used to say that shaped skis were a fad when they first came out, but like mountain biking ski equipment progressed and so has the riders and now shaped skis rule the market. I think we'll continue to see bikes evolve and become refined (thus AM bikes) as our riding continues to evolve.

VooDoo user.
    Let me go get my wooded spoon to help stir the pooooop pot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Is AM just a marketing ploy? Let me go and have a look at my AM bike for a sec.

No, it's definitely real. It really does have 6" travel and it doesn't have a 65 deg head angle and weigh as much as a boat anchor.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

Paste eater
    I really wish peeps would just lay off pigeon holing "AM". I LIKE the AM designation. Why? not b/c a "slam dews" or have hairy legs but b/c our sport has expaned soooooooo much it get's really confusing to say find a part for your bike that really suits your needs. Or ask other folks questions that ride in a similair fashion to you.

Call it what you want, but it's usefull designation.

banned
    I feel like riding the ALL MOUNTAIN trails tomorrow morning.

What day are we riding?

After a set period of time

...it will become PM. Happens every day.

large member
    Just finished off my last camelback of AM Mt. Tam spring water. See you in the morning!
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed toolbag 30-34 age group

Hard as nails

Cool-blue Rhythm IMHO Just Marketing

Think back when 5", 6", 7" bikes did not have platform stability and would just wallow in the travel like a pogo stick . With the evolution of technology and the added "stable platform', came a new generation of bikes that JUST HAD TO BE LABELED. So hence AM. To me I do not even pay attention to the labeling and characterizations - I just simply get the bike(s) for my needs and RIDE! Who cares what they call it as long a they continue to make quality bikes to fit the needs of the existing and emerging fellow bikers! My 1 cents...

Custom User Title
    It's a marketing ploy about a way of life.

Fvck the Dew give me a BEER!!!!!!
    Team MOJO Wheels.

my girl rides also
    Feb 2005
    Well, I hope it's not just a marketing ploy, because I've finally found a title to validate not only my riding, but also how I live my life and see the world around me.
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Wow this topic has been just about beat to DEATH and Ive only been on this forum a couple weeks
    8 is great

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JHelix XC
    Wow this topic has been just about beat to DEATH and Ive only been on this forum a couple weeks
    The mod even put up a complaint of the ongoing lashing of this dead mule.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

never ender
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    I really wish peeps would just lay off pigeon holing "AM". I LIKE the AM designation. Why? not b/c a "slam dews" or have hairy legs but b/c our sport has expaned soooooooo much it get's really confusing to say find a part for your bike that really suits your needs. Or ask other folks questions that ride in a similair fashion to you.

Call it what you want, but it's usefull designation.

Seriously. My first bike was an XC hardtail, which I bought WAY before the "AM" thing took off. Now I've got a Heckler-probably the original AM bike. But my approach to riding hasn't changed that much, even though I've progressively upgraded to tougher and tougher frames and components in the few years since I started riding. I still try to hammer up climbs in my middle ring, but I still go out of my way to have fun on the way down. Life is good. My riding hasn't changed, but I guess my marketing demographic has.

Don't skid
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteele
    The mod even put up a complaint of the ongoing lashing of this dead mule.
    Ya I thought that was pretty lame. This is an AM forum so I think it is completely reasonable to discuss the merits of the AM label and obviuosly there still is a lot of debate. If you don't like reading the arguements then don't.

And for the record I don't think its a marketing ploy. I don't feel like I have been bombarded with AM ads at all. How is wanting a bike that can climb efficiently and still handle decents and jumps and drops over and over agian giving into marketing ploys? I thought it was just demanding a quality porduct. Riding has changed, its called progression and evolution. If you don't need 6 inches of travel then don't by a bike that has it. Its that simple. But just because you don't want or need it doesn't mean someone else doesn't. I think its completely legitiment to give these bikes names, it didn't have to be all mountain, I preferred trail bike, but AM is the term that stuck. Get over it.

And besides I tend to think of marketing ploys as things like car ads. LikeGMC's "professional grade" slogan when they just sell over powered trucks to undereducated rednecks. Or Saab's ads with the slogan "born form jets" when the origianal engineers don't work there anymore. And don't even get me started on the Hummer ads.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    Must... beat... dead... horse... must... beat... dead... horse... must... beat... dead... horse... must... beat... dead... horse... must... beat... dead... horse... must... beat... dead... horse... must... beat... dead... horse... must... beat... dead... horse... must... beat... dead... horse... must... beat... dead... horse...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Total fad - 100%

I'm so sick my AM bike and I think it is high time I go back to 4" of hardtail like travel. I miss all the pinch flats, the fading 6" rotor, the twitchy angles and the flex. I also miss the forearm pump and the knots in my back. It sucks that my lower back is finally getting better. What a stupid fad, thank god we're all wising up and this whole AM craze can go the way of the yo-yo.

The only problem I can see with going back to a 4" travel bike is that I've lost ALL my skill riding a 6" travel bike. Anyone else notice they have trouble even just walking since moving to a 6" travel bike? It's even taking me longer to type this post. That 8" rotor is taking all the skill out of my fingers.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus
    Judging by your original post, which you deleted, I'm not sure if you're laughing with me or at me.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

banned
    The polls are closed. The masses have spokin.

Now go out and ride your dayum bike!

Hmmmmm

Cool-blue Rhythm A Better Description...

Its both.
    Its not a fad, its just what we used to call "aggresive xc" or "light freeride".
    I've had freeriding wheels and tires on my "xc" bikes for about four years.
    Now I own a 6 inch travel San Andreas that used to be called a "downhill racing machine" then "freeriding bike" now it fits in with what they're calling "All mountain".
    I agree with the person that said it has a lot to do with the invention of stable platform suspension products.

Later, Eric
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast