Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

AM/Enduro Geometry

I had to much time today (got bored studying) and did some bike geomety comparison. I compared most popular AM/Enduro bikes. I compared medium size bikes, some of them are 17-18˝ (if they have different sizing).

My conclusions:
    -bikes are getting more and more similar in geometry (few exceptions)
    -Nomad, Liteveile601 and Mondraker Zenith have the longest chainstay, but the Zenith has 170mm of travel and Liteville is adjustable, so the Nomad realy stands out in this segment
    -Norco Range has the highest BB, even higher than all of the 180mm travel bikes
    -Stumpjumper, Ghost AMR and YT Wicked have the lowest BB, but they have 150mm of travel
    -Specialized bikes have the shortes CS (but we all expected thad, didnt we?), I was suprised with the new Kona Process and YT wicked
    -Ibis Mojo HD has extremly short wheelbase, even shorter than Stumpjumper EVO, which started life as 140mm travel bike
    -Nomad and both Mondrakers have the shortest top tube (horizontal)
    -Yeti SB66 and all YT bikes have the longest top tube (horizontal)
    -If you sort the bikes by CS/WB ratio you almost see which bikes are using which type of suspension. Dual link bikes (Nomad, Ibis, Mondraker) have extremly long CS compared to wheelbase and four bar linkage bikes (Specialized, Kona, Lapierre, Nicolai) have very short chainstay compared to wheelbase. The only bike that stands out is again Norco Range, dont understand really why is that.

Hope you like It, please share your thoughts about this! If you are missing some of your favorites I can add them to the table.

EDIT: New bikes added+seat tube angle
    Last edited by 666Shifty; 08-28-2012 at 06:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Banshee Ruin and Spitfire (the new geometries are just now out).

Thanks,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Stand back
    Great job, love the graphs, and 2nd the request for Banshees on there, and maybe throw in the Blur TRc?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mbtr member
    I admire the effort that went in to this, and it totally indicates what a bike is all about, but i'd caution anyone who wanted to compare bikes in this fashion to determine what was the best for them. There are other factors, like how the suspension sits in the attack position, ideal bar height, seat tube angle, etc, that influence the handling just as much (if not more) than the popular easy measurements that you've graphed. The bike is a sum of all parts, but not all measurements are easy to quantify.

In any case, it's super interesting, and it's neat to see a new market segment be zeroed in on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Nice list You do seem to have missed one of the better bikes... No Mach 5.7 on there (OK, I will admit I'm slightly biased on that one though)

mtbr member
    And no Marin!
    Props on the amount of work you put into this, that is a lot of info you collated there
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ok, thank for the input. I will try to add Marin, Pivot and Banshee bikes today.

@scottzg: Yes I know that this geometry doesnt tell everything about the bike, but It hellps for basic info if the bike is more DH or more XC oriented.

EDIT: I have decited that i will only compare bike with 145-180mm of travel. I think 5" (127mm) bikes dont fit in this catagory (AM/endruo)
    Last edited by 666Shifty; 08-28-2012 at 03:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Banshee Ruin and Spitfire (the new geometries are just now out).

Thanks,

G
    Where can I find the new geometries? I just found some basic info on Rune V2 (BB hight and HA)...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Interesting figures... Reach and seat tube angle would be interesting to include in the table also...

Some interesting bikes that are missing from the list:
    Rocky mountain Slayer 18": HTA 66.5°, BBH (informed just as -16mm drop), CS 428mm , WB 1147mm , TTH 575mm, STA 75°

Devinci Dixon(M, Low setting): 67°, BBH 347mm, CS 426mm, WB 1124mm, TTH 585mm, STA 72.7°

Knolly Chilcotin(M, Low setting); 66°, BBH 341mm, CS 429mm, WB 1143mm, TTH 598mm, STAe 73°, Reach 420mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for new data! I was thinking about adding reach, but I didnt found It for all bikes so I didnt put it in the table. I can add seat tube angle if u want.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    One more missing, Nukeproof Mega M: HTA 66°, BBH 348mm, CS 439.5mm, WB 1164mm, TTH 374mm, STA 75°, reach 415mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the data!

Really helpful when looking for a new rig.
    Nicolai Helius AFR frame size L for sale.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have added some bikes:
    Nukeproof Mega
    Pivot Mach 5.7
    Pivor Firebird
    Deivnci Dixon
    Rocky Mountain Slayer
    Banshee Rune (2012)
    Marin Atack Trail
    Knolly Chilcotin

Pluse new colum, seat tube angle. If u have some other ideas how to improve this please tell.

mtbr member
    This is awesome!!!! I usually do stuff like this behind the scenes. This is impressive.

I am not sure if you can do this in your program. Can you plot with different colors or symbols to indicate bike travel? This would help highlight travel influences on the geometry.

Again - super cool!

mtbr member
    First, wow. Fantastic amount of info collected there and organized.

second...:

Quote Originally Posted by 666Shifty View Post

-If you sort the bikes by CS/WB ratio you almost see which bikes are using which type of suspension. Dual link bikes (Nomad, Ibis, Mondraker) have extremly long CS compared to wheelbase and four bar linkage bikes (Specialized, Kona, Lapierre, Nicolai) have very short chainstay compared to wheelbase. The only bike that stands out is again Norco Range, dont understand really why is that.
    Seems like size is a variable missing from this picture. Most bikes have the same CS across sizes, but different WB. Seems like it speaks a bit on how a larger size might handle differently than a smaller one, even though the fit could be the same.
    I hadn't really thought of that, so thanks for pointing it out!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Super useful
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    May 2011

mtbr member
    Awesome data, great job.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Great job, Thx for taking the time to do this!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Awesome
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Wow! I get bored often too and do these kinds of comparisons all the time on scratch paper. But never to this extent and I always end up just throwing them away. I’ve always wanted to make a master list on Excel or something.

This is sooo awesome! This list will definitely come in handy. Thanks for putting in the time and sharing!

(I think this thread needs to become a “sticky”)

mtbr member
    Wow! I get bored often too and do these kinds of comparisons all the time on scratch paper. But never to this extent and I always end up just throwing them away. I’ve always wanted to make a master list on Excel or something.

This is sooo awesome! This list will definitely come in handy. Thanks for putting in the time and sharing!

(I think this thread needs to become a “sticky”)

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    My conclusion = you need a life

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Left out the intense carbine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword View Post
    My conclusion = you need a life
    Hahaha. I took two weeks break from work to study for exams and this is the result. I still managed to pass two exams today, so not bad after all Now I really have to go biking, maybe I will add few bikes later today (Carabine, new banshee, Canyon, Cube, Cove...)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast