Jan 2009

New question here. AM or DH ????????

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Freeride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    ok so how would a freeride compare to a AM and DH bike ? do everything well or only certain things ? heavy and hard to pedal ? etc...
    thanks
    lance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qkenuf4u

what would this be considered ?

I would consider it a haul to pedal up a hill but fun to ride back down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    i would consider it old

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by suspensionisbetter
    i would consider it old
    ya well not all of us have 1000's of dollars laying around to spend on a brand new bike ....... thanks for the info though

mtbr member
    ok so how would a freeride compare to a AM and DH bike ? do everything well or only certain things ? heavy and hard to pedal ? etc...
    thanks
    lance
    The bike your looking at has 3 sprokets in the front. I would remove the largest one and replace it with a bash guard and shorten the chain. That will help the chain not fall off when you are riding down hills. You will still have the 22t (smallest gear) in the front for climing. You will be able to clime hills with it. It will be very tiring but it is doable.

I ride a 6" travel Kona Coiler and out clime a lot of the guys i ride with on 4" travel bikes. It was the same when i had my Stinky 7" travel. It is not as much bike as people like to make it out to be. If you want to pedal it to the top of the hill, and you don't give up. You will get it to the top of the hill. And people will be impressed when you pass them on a clime on that and they are riding a hardtail.

TNC
    noMAD man

Chill...

ya well not all of us have 1000's of dollars laying around to spend on a brand new bike ....... thanks for the info though
    What he said is basically true...and he didn't get nasty about it. You asked a simple question and he provided a simple answer. Now...if you were considering buying a bike like this one and wanted some feedback, you should have said so. If you're just asking a simple discussion question about bikes, he stated a simple truth.

That bike has a lousy fork...very old tech. I don't know how many posts occurred on the suspension forum about reworking the old SSV Marz dampers in these types of forks or replacing them with HSCV carts. The rear shock is also very old tech. PUSH Industries does do an amazing job of bringing new life to that shock, but it is very dated in its existing form. At least in the pic the frame looks like a simple high forward single pivot...not really that bad but eclipsed by so many better designs now.

You got upset about the issue of money. I didn't notice anything about money in your original question...or the purchase of this bike...or the purchase of any bike. Maybe you need to provide us with a little more info as to what you're considering...if anything...with this original question.

Alien Surf Team
    I think the response was from calling it "old". The bike is a 2003. I wouldn't exactly call that "very old" or even "old".

TNC
    noMAD man

Depends

Quote Originally Posted by Razorfish
    I think the response was from calling it "old". The bike is a 2003. I wouldn't exactly call that "very old" or even "old".
    This bike acutally does display a good deal of "old" technology. That doesn't make the bike useless, but it doesn't change some things about this bike. One can parse the definitions all day, but there's a lot about this bike that is "old". I have a '99 Bullit...the first model. The frame technology is similar to this one, so it is old. At least the rear shock and fork...a Van 36 fork, Manitou 4-Way Air rear shock...are decently updated. This Marin still has the old school shock and a very spikey Marz fork, both of which were on their way out in '03 when this bike was new. It's '09...this bike is old.

Alien Surf Team
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    This bike acutally does display a good deal of "old" technology. That doesn't make the bike useless, but it doesn't change some things about this bike. One can parse the definitions all day, but there's a lot about this bike that is "old". I have a '99 Bullit...the first model. The frame technology is similar to this one, so it is old. At least the rear shock and fork...a Van 36 fork, Manitou 4-Way Air rear shock...are decently updated. This Marin still has the old school shock and a very spikey Marz fork, both of which were on their way out in '03 when this bike was new. It's '09...this bike is old.
    I understand. Just a difference in the application of "old".

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    yeah man i was just messin with ya. its how you ride that counts... but its still an old bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    no worries guys . wasnt tryin to be a dick about it. i realize its an older bike. all i wanted was some info not that its old. ill pass on it since i found a new SPECIALIZED ENDURO FSR for maybe a better price at the LBS (guy told me to bring cash lol)

Members who have read this thread: 0