Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

AM Brakes help needed! Hope/Avid/Formula

Well its time to upgrade the brakes. Right now i have some crappy Hayes, but need more power. Right now I'm looking at the Hope Tech X2, Avid Elixir CR, or the Formula RX. Has anyone had negative experience with the CRs?? A lot of people around here have them but there are a lot of negative reviews as well. I'm leaning towards the hopes for reliability but just cant make a decision. I like the look of Avids a LOT but if they don't work ..... Opinions??

Helmet Tester
    I am running Elixir CR's on my bike, 203 front and 180 rear. These were my introduction to hydraulic breaks, so as far as power goes they kick ass. I have had some issues with my rear break fading, but it's most likely poor adjustment on my part that I have yet to fix. My buddy has Formulas on his downhill bike and they work great, but I haven't really done anything on his bike long term to give any good review.

Short answer: 1 for avid

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've had several sets of Hopes, several sets of Elixirs and my best riding bud has Formula Ones. Based on his experiences, I would not personally buy Formula. They look fantastic and probably have the best lever feel I've witnessed. However, they're difficult to keep dialed, they eat pads and parts are expensive. He loves them when they're dialed, but doubt he'd buy them again.

I currently have Elixir Rs (203/185) on my El Guapo. I have to say, this is my second set of Elixirs and I can't make a legitimate complaint about them. Consider, though, I live in AZ and it's very dry. I've experienced zero fade, zero noise, zero maintenance other than pads. Very good power, not as much modulation as I'd like.

Which brings me to Hope. By far, without question, the best brakes I've used. Mono M4, old Mono Minis, etc. Power, modulation, aesthetics, they're the complete package. I'm about to drop coin on a new set of X2s and move my Avids over to the hardtail I'm building.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    I've had several sets of Hopes, several sets of Elixirs and my best riding bud has Formula Ones. Based on his experiences, I would not personally buy Formula. They look fantastic and probably have the best lever feel I've witnessed. However, they're difficult to keep dialed, they eat pads and parts are expensive. He loves them when they're dialed, but doubt he'd buy them again.

I currently have Elixir Rs (203/185) on my El Guapo. I have to say, this is my second set of Elixirs and I can't make a legitimate complaint about them. Consider, though, I live in AZ and it's very dry. I've experienced zero fade, zero noise, zero maintenance other than pads. Very good power, not as much modulation as I'd like.

Which brings me to Hope. By far, without question, the best brakes I've used. Mono M4, old Mono Minis, etc. Power, modulation, aesthetics, they're the complete package. I'm about to drop coin on a new set of X2s and move my Avids over to the hardtail I'm building.
    Yea I'm kinda thinking the hopes as everyone seems to love them. Where are you getting your x2 brakes. Is it a good deal I might be able to get?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have to say that the Tech X2's are very powerful indeed and not so bad in regards to setup, even from someone who has not dealt with hydraulic bike brakes before. I cannot compare to Formula, Avid, etc. but they are an incredible upgrade from old XTR cantilevers

Next bike will have Hope's Tech M4's ... even more power.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I would say Hope, definatelly.
    I had Hayes HFX MAG, then Avid Elixir CR and now I have Hope Tech M4.
    And this is THE brake for me - as far as we speak AM.
    It is great looking, light and powerfull with excelent modulation.

They are very easy to set up and I don't need any special set to bleed them.

I run 183mm front and 160mm rear, but I am heavy rider and I am switching to 203/183.

In my opinions, Hope brakes are so good, that I will not look for a brake anymore - I will just chose the right model for next bike from Hope line.

Best regards
    Last edited by luke_; 12-11-2010 at 03:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Based on what I see, I would totaly imagine for the Avid Elixir CR to workout. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hopes! You won't regret it. I wouldn't pay a huge price premium for them b/c the Avids work nice too and the Formula's are beautiful and have a stellar reputation. But you can get the Hopes from CRC or Wiggle for nearly the same price as the avids and far less than formulas.

Master
    May 2009
    Running Formula The Ones and they stop on a dime. Reliable ,strong, light, but pricey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Dude save some and get the elixir r...works great

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    +1 for the elixir r

"No Clue Crew"
    I've been running Formula Ones now for a few months and plan on ditching them for Hopes in the next month or so............Drew

mtbr member
    The Avids are just not even close to the Hope's IMHO. The Formula R''s and one's are light, but will fade out as told to me by guys at Ibis. I have been running Hope 6 piston ti's for 3 years, and they are by far the strongest brake I have ever used. They have the best feeling, no fade, and very controllable. I ran avid elixir's on my hard tail and I hated them. I'm 225 pounds and tend to ramble down the hills pretty good, and they just didn't have the power my hopes did. Not even in the same ballpark. The avid's are lighter, but if you want the best brakes, if you can find the 6ti or the x2.s get them. I can not tell you how much a good brake will save your ass at those speeds.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    A riding buddy of mine has had a nightmare with his Elixir's, mine have been fine.

The biggest difference between the Elixir's and Hope's is the Hope's have much more modulation and the lever of the Hopes has a much more solid feel to it. Hopes are also a doddle to bleed.

The X2's might not be powerfull enough. But that depends on the rider and trail. I would go for the M4's any day.They might not be the lightest of brakes...but Hope brakes are the nicest looking IMO.

Double-metric mtb man
    I've been running a set of Mono M4's for a few years now and can say Hope makes awesome products.

I'm not a small rider (6', 240-ish lbs), but they've got the modulation so that I've never had an issue riding in the winter on snow and ice, but they also have the power that 1-finger braking is my norm unless I a) need to lock 'em up or b) do a s#!t bricks panic on something.

They can be a bit tricky to set up, but once you get them sorted, they rock. A friend of mine likes his Formulas...he went to them after not getting quite the power he was looking for out of his Hopes (I suspect it was a set-up or bleed issue). We swapped bikes for a bit during a ride and he just about endo'd because he wasn't expecting the power my M4's were making. His "The One" brakes were good but, and this is personal preference, I preferred the feel of my Hopes.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

rotor size

Hey guys..im pretty much sold on hopes..sorry to all you avid lovers. My other question is what rotor size to get. I think that I want to upgrade to 183mm rotor but Im afraid that I will snap my RS Revelation in half. Will I? I can see it flexing with a 160 rotor up front. Are my worries unfounded or will the fork break?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by awesome51
    Hey guys..im pretty much sold on hopes..sorry to all you avid lovers. My other question is what rotor size to get. I think that I want to upgrade to 183mm rotor but Im afraid that I will snap my RS Revelation in half. Will I? I can see it flexing with a 160 rotor up front. Are my worries unfounded or will the fork break?
    You won't be sorry! Just look up the requirements for your specific fork, but a quick google led me to the conclusion that Rev's are rated for up to 203 to 210mm depending on the model. Also, how much do you weigh? That will prob factor into the equation...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I weigh probably about 200 lbs loaded up with all the gear. Are these forks supposed to flex?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by luke_
    I would say Hope, definatelly.
    I had Hayes HFX MAG, then Avid Elixir CR and now I have Hope Tech M4.
    And this is THE brake for me - as far as we speak AM.
    It is great looking, light and powerfull with excelent modulation.

They are very easy to set up and I don't need any special set to bleed them.

I run 183mm front and 160mm rear, but I am heavy rider and I am switching to 203/183.

In my opinions, Hope brakes are so good, that I will not look for a brake anymore - I will just chose the right model for next bike from Hope line.

Best regards
    IMNSHO, don't trust a guy that matches his brake hose and anodized 2-piece rotors to his frame

Just kidding of course ... I'm just disappointed that I didn't think of it

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dipan
    IMNSHO, don't trust a guy that matches his brake hose and anodized 2-piece rotors to his frame

Just kidding of course ... I'm just disappointed that I didn't think of it
    That's the comfort of building the bike all by myself and carefully choosing every part to be reliable, strong and the right color

best regards

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'd recommend Avid's new Code R's in lieu of the Elixir R's. I installed a set of Code R's on my Trance X1 and they're great. The power is very good and a definite step up over the Elixir R's. On straight line testing it's possible to induce lift the rear wheel by applying the front brake. At slow speeds I can even lock up the rear wheel quite easily with 160 mm rotors.

At high speeds the Code R's have incredible performance I did some high speed street runs to test the new brakes they're awesome and bring the bike to stop consistently and easily from hair raising speeds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My elixir CR has stick pistons. One side does not retract fully. The pad adjustment does not adjust alot to make a difference, just slight.
    Power is not that bad, although for that money better, lighter brakes can be bought. The carbon lever is surprisingly not as weak as I thought.
    Took a couple of big hits and only slight scuffs. So far 4 months and not a bleed yet so I guess the brake is going well.

I'd say for that money go get something better. Unless of course you get it real cheap in a closeout deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i ve used elixir cr and formula rx. i perfer the rx for its excellent feel and stoping power. the cr has a nice feel to them but they dont stop as well.

im about 145 with gear on and run 180(rx) 185(cr) front, 160 rear rotors

dont know about the hopes

mtbr member
    Ive had Elixir R's, CR's, Code R's, Formula The Ones (older version) and now Tech M4's on my AM bikes. The Hopes out-perform them all. Hands down. Insane modulation, power and come on, they look crazy awesome. That CNC action is just beautiful. Worth the money and the wait. The Elixirs, both R and CR's were rock solid too, just got some UGI.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm building an AM hardtail and need some brake advice. I've been using Elixir brakes for a couple of years and really like them, but saw the glowing reviews of the Hopes, so I might just go that way. My question is rotor sizing. If it's a hardtail, wouldn't it be wise to use the smallest rotor possible on the back since the rear end is going to hop and chatter over terrain much more than a FS bike? Seems the suspended front end is where all the stopping power is going to be, above and beyond normal. I'm about 210lbs when kitted out. Thanks for the advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast