mtbr member
    May 2006

AM bike under $5000

I'm in the market for a new bike and want to stay under $5000. I'm looking for a bike that can handle anything from aggressive XC to an occassional jump or 4-6 ft drop. It will need to be very versatile, pedal/climb well, relatively light, but still take a beating. I'm most heavily leaning towards an SC Nomad (X9 AM build, Fox DHX coil, Pike 454 u-turn).

Any input or recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone know if SC is planning anything new for the Nomad for '07? Anyone see any benefits in waiting to see what could come out?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    The Nomad is really really nice.I think TNC is the right guy to advise you, just wait for his post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_shaw
    AM bike under $5000

Holy crap . How much did you spend on your afternoon bike
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

Powder King lift jockey.
    Nomads are pretty nice, I've been fortunate enough to ride one for a day. If thats your choice then its a good one IMO. other to look at are the Giant Reign and the Rocky Mountain Slayer. I have never ridden the Reign but I know lots of people that can testify that they are great quality and ride excellent, lots of people are really raving about the meastro platform. I think I would pick the Slayer, it pedals like a mountaingoat up hills and descends excellent the Slayer is a very sexy bike.
    J-bro

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Call up Sherwood at the Ventana factory, place an order for a completely custom tubing form, length and shape to suit your riding needs. Add hose bosses for GD post, if you want.

If you are spending that much money, why not get something that fits YOU, is made to suit your every desire and get top of the line, deal with the owner customer service?

If I were spending that much, there is NO way I would end up on a mass-produced bike. Trek or Ellsworth would not do.

Ventana. Geez, take $500 out of that budget and fly to the f'n factory and have them measure you for fit!!!

Good luck and let us know!

Got Ventana
    I'm with CharacterZero on this one, but Im biased I just bought one.

Seriously though give sherwood a call, I'm sure he could work something out for that price. Depending on how much the X.9 build cost you might be able to go for the full custom geo and maybe even a full custom colour ?

just along for the ride
    At 5K go highline, sherwood or turner, titus too, plenty others... have fun testing you lucky dog!

Oh, So Interesting!
    3rd Zero:

Custom Ventana x5 and a RS Totem u-turn fork. The frame should be custom built for the intended fork as well...

The new RS forks are probably worth waiting for, it won't be long....

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the input. I picked the $5k figure because the Nomad (or most comparable bikes) would run me in the $4k range, and I figured I'd give myself a little wiggle room on price. I don't HAVE to spend that much!

I'll definitely take a look at the other suggestions and I'll let you know what I end up going with. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey, check out this review of a custom ventana frame, the guy seems pretty happy (and the write up is good too):
    6 month review (kinda long)

Paste eater
    If I had that type of cash to drop on a biek it would be a moots cinco...

SEEEEEEEEEEEXYYY!

Life is Good
    The Specialized Enduro SX Trail series is pretty nice, they run in the 3000-4000 range, but it may be a tad heavy for what you intend.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain