mtbr member
    Jul 2010

AM bike purchase....

Need some advice on a possible bike purchase. Ive put together the funds and considering candidates for our next bike purchase.

We have a Cannondale F4 and a Trek Fuel EX 7 in our stable. They both do well for us. Can't really say they fall short of anything we ride. My son and I share the bikes. We want to move up to lift assisted rides (Mammoth 4 hours away) and local shuttle runs (like Rock-It?) and want to buy another bike.

Our short list was made considering our budget ($2500), available travel (150 to 160 mm) and advertised purpose of the bikes.

We are looking at an 2009 SC NOMAD with a Domain fork and a 2011 Giant Reign 2 with a 32 Fox RL. Local specials allow us to afford these bikes. Any other suggestions welcome.

Our question is, are we looking at the right bikes for what we do. Should we consider Spec's Big Hit or the Scott Gambler? We wont be racing, we won't be hardcore dhers, but we do want a bike that will give us a safety net for when our limited abilities fall short. We do not want to buy a bike that can only be rolled out for shuttle days, which is why we are here in the AM section.

Thanks.

T.W.O.
    I didn't know you can shuttle Rock-it?

Well Reign and Nomad is a classic rival. Both Dual mini link, and same travel(ish) 6.3 vs 6" Both are very capable bike and make Rock-it easier One has slightly larger price tag.

One thing I'm quite certain, you'd be happy with either. I want to say that you can climb Cholla or Mathis better with the Nomad if it's lighter. I climb both trail with both bike Nomad C 28#, and Reign X 32#, I prefer Nomad because it's lighter (Unfortunately, I don't have 2 friends with the same weight bikes .

Both bike put huge grind on my face on the way down.

Have you try any out? Check the company's demo schedule, who knows one may be in Jan. Good luck.

usually cranky
    trek remedy or scratch if you want more on the fr side. do you have a 5'' fuel? i think getting a 6'' am bike would be a little too much overlap if that was the case.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    trek remedy or scratch if you want more on the fr side. do you have a 5'' fuel? i think getting a 6'' am bike would be a little too much overlap if that was the case.
    i was thinking something like it, but you said it right. the fuel ex is indeed a 4.75 inch rear 5 inch front bike. its pretty capable but I thouhgt it may not cut due to the geometry. do you think it wont be much of an upgrade to a 160mm?

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by bing!
    i was thinking something like it, but you said it right. the fuel ex is indeed a 4.75 inch rear 5 inch front bike. its pretty capable but I thouhgt it may not cut due to the geometry. do you think it wont be much of an upgrade to a 160mm?
    how i see it is that the fuel is a fairly capable bike that can more than handle trail and mild am duties. getting a 160mm bike would be more squarely am but still not really a huge difference and not really the fr bike you seem to be looking for. if i was in your shoes id get a bike that can take the bigger hits and still pedal ok.

usually cranky
    just to add what i think would be some good options would be a trek scratch or banshee scythe or even a transition blindside.

T.W.O.
    I get you b-kul, but geometry also has a lot to do with the bike as well. I have many overlap travel bikes. Good example would be the Mojo and the Mojo HD it's only 15mm separate the 2 models yet the HD would be more AM/FR than the Mojo. Pivot M5 and M5.7 much less than 1" difference, but does ride differently.

My Moment is only 1/2 inch longer than the Mojo but it's definitely feels more AM than Mojo, it can be the build, combining with the placebo effect, but it does.

You are right though about Bing's need for more FR than AM. On OP, you may need to go with Driver8 or Faith. If that's the route, you can check out Canfield Bro the one.

Bing I have Mojo, Moment, and ML8 all in small size, if you are curious PM me we can hit up the Rock-it. I'll bring extra bike for you to try.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    So you guys think i should be looking at the free ride side of things. Interesting. Too bad that segment isnt stocked locally (20 miles) Its going to have to be by special order. I am going to try and expand my shopping to Orange County and see whats available.

Ill take you up on that offer mimi. A familiarization tour alone of rockit will be worth it.

The input has been productive. Thanks guys.

T.W.O.
    I think ultimately you just have to try them yourself, FR bike are definitely flatten many descent but it's definitely steepened the climbs

I think the park ride stuff, if you don't do it a few times a month, might as well rent it every time you go. Do you ride with your son? if yes then your original idea is not bad Nomad or Reign(x), they are more everyday bike than FR for sure. Get 2 sets of tires, 2.35s on one at reasonable weight so you can climb. The second set would be a big grippy beefy tires for shuttling, that's what I'd do.

Every year I say to myself I'd get one FR/DH bike, but at the end of the day I would not get to use it as much. I'm in the market for DJ bike now, not that I'll be jumping anytime soon but it would encourage me to do more manuals and bunny hops. Certainly would come in handy on the wet week like this

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    I think the park ride stuff, if you don't do it a few times a month, might as well rent it every time you go. Do you ride with your son? if yes then your original idea is not bad Nomad or Reign(x), they are more everyday bike than FR for sure.
    I like that idea. Forgot about renting. The scratch is a good suggestion, but its about 4000 out thr door, too much for me.

i be lurkin
    uh DUUUH gotta get a kona http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=stinky_tl

i just bought one like it and it is da best bike evaaaa... pedals great and decends great.
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    I think ultimately you just have to try them yourself, FR bike are definitely flatten many descent but it's definitely steepened the climbs
    I agree 100% with this and ended up with a light FR as a result. My advice would be to research and ride rigs designed right around the AM/FR border. I really wanted the burliness similar to that of a FR/ light DH, the relative agility/climbing ability of an AM and sort of settled on a 6.5" FS ride that still manages to climb at 34 lbs. and yet I can beat the hell out of it bombing the descents.

I don't necessarily buy into the concept of a "do-it-all" bike but rigs designed in the transition areas between categories do give people a little versatility if their budget is limited but their trails tend to vary a little.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by doesyourchainhanglow
    uh DUUUH gotta get a kona http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=stinky_tl

i just bought one like it and it is da best bike evaaaa... pedals great and decends great.
    actualy not a bad suggestion. idk about the claim that it pedals great but it will pedal well enough.

i be lurkin
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    actualy not a bad suggestion. idk about the claim that it pedals great but it will pedal well enough.
    great in respects to a freeride bike
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've no experience with any of the bikes listed except the Nomad. I've ridden my friend's on some single track a few times. My suggestion is to go for the Reign or the Nomad and maybe a few others if you can find some within the price range.

If you and your son ride together often, neither of you will be left riding the HT any more once you add the 6" into the mix. The Nomad is a very capable bike, as is the Reign. Having ridden a Fuel, the nomad/reign are completely different rides. You'll probably end up fighting over who gets to ride what on certain days but no one gets stuck wit a HT.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    bing if you go to orange county stop by The Path bike shop in Tustin. Unbelievable number of bikes in stock, many in the am/fr arena. Helpful and knowleadgable staff.

[QUOTE=bingToo bad that segment isnt stocked locally (20 miles) Its going to have to be by special order. I am going to try and expand my shopping to Orange County and see whats available.

.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewayne
    think you shoul go with the BMX Bike... it looks quite cool in looks wise and performance wise!!!!!
    What? For AM/FR?
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert