mtbr member

AM bars and stem

Looking to buy the answer pro taper 780 DH bars for my full suss. I'm not sure whether to get 1" or 1/2" rise.What are the pro's/con's of each?
    Currently i have a 100mm stem and 1" rise bars and like it (but bars are too narrow) so was thinking about getting a longer bar, shorter stem combo. However I was wondering whether shortening the stem has the same effect of increasing the rise of the handlebars and would i therefore not need as high rise on my new bars?
    Also looking at the rf atlas FR bars, but they don't come in 1" rise. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Mountains... because roads are boring
    My GoPro DH Channel <---- Please Subscribe!

usually cranky
    a shorter stem will make the bike wander on climbs and steer quicker. this can be compensated with changed body position and wider bars to slow steering. rise of bars is personal, i think high is good for dh, low is good for xc, but i always get it confused. personally id opt for the low rise and compensate with spacers.

mtbr member
    Look into the combo of Renthal fatbar at 780mm wide,38mm rise and the Renthal 50mm Duo stem...Just ordered that combo for my Nomad and dam,amazing...I cut the bars down to 760mm.This setup is used by pro rider Fabien Barral.I got mine slightly discounted at www.greentirebikes.com with free shipping!Just a suggestion,do a google search!

mtbr member
    Thanks, i have heard high rise is good for downhill. At the moment my front end wanders a bit on the climbs, i think because of the high rise, so having a shorter stem might make it even worse.. i still like high rise though
    Ah yeah just a pointer, i have a 1.5" steerer so many options are out of the window. Currently i am looking a the funn rippa stem, it's a great offer: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...&ModelID=15838

mtbr member
    sorry, funn grippa

mtbr member
    Feck!! apparently cannnodale 1.5" steerer is not actualy 1.5" it's 1.56" and conventional 1.5" stems don't fit? :s - does anyone know if this is true?

mtbr member
    The rise is more personal comfort,the widh of the bar and length of stem are what make them AM/DH/XC etc... Yes you will wander a bit on climbs but become used to it,no big deal...The overall handling in tech turns and downhill is soooo worth the setup!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks i've heard that if you get a shorter stem it helps if you get higher rise bars aswell? Something to do with keeping the grips in the right line with your shoulders or something?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grimmer View Post
    Feck!! apparently cannnodale 1.5" steerer is not actualy 1.5" it's 1.56" and conventional 1.5" stems don't fit? :s - does anyone know if this is true?
    This is true. Sorry.

I know Thomson has talked about machining Headshock/Lefty stems for a while but they have yet to reach the market. Jenson was blowing out a bunch of Cannondale stems a while back, maybe they'll have some that will work.

mtbr member
    hmmm, i just measured mine and it seems to be exactly 1.5" (it is not a lefty fork but a fox float) Is it just the lefty forks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grimmer View Post
    hmmm, i just measured mine and it seems to be exactly 1.5" (it is not a lefty fork but a fox float) Is it just the lefty forks?
    Give it a whirl. .06" is only 1.5mm so you might be able to get away with a looser fitting 1.5" stem.

I've personally seen people use pipecutters on steertubes and end up with a slightly mushroomed top that has about the same difference (use a hacksaw and cutting guide). Stems can still be installed with a little elbow grease, just makes headset adjustment a little difficult.