6 4.84%
  • Some type of leg protection, but no arm protection

39 31.45%
  • Both arm and leg protection

25 20.16%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Your bike is incorrigible

AM armour. What do you wear?

Leg, arm, shin, knee only, elbow only, full arm, full body armour?

yeah, uh............bikes
    Helmet only........but I'll be riding with an elbow pad for quite some time after a nasty crash.

LBS Manager
    Lycra is the only armor I need. And a helmet of course

Slowest Rider

More WHEN than WHAT

I only wear armour on very technical and fast DH routes. And in those occasions, I usually carry it on the camelback up the hill and put it on before the bad sections.

I use leg and arm armour. But perhaps only 3-4 times a year. In those occasions I've used it, I really needed it. It saved me a lot of injury in several minor crashes that I just got up and kept going, but otherwise would have been a bloody mess, at best.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Living the Dream

I only wear a speedo

& a full face TLD of course.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    No armour,
    normal peaked helmet,
    fingerless gloves (summer only),
    shirt and baggies.

The reason I asked is that I started using some lightweight arm pads after I crashed and tore up my elbow. I kind of thought it was silly to wear arm only and nothing on my legs. Then again, I figure I'm not really doing anything close to DH only mild FR and I should concentrate on those areas where I feel I might benefit from armour. But recently I have been thinking about some leg protection. It's a big "what if?", since I'm not going out to specifically do some gnarly stuff. That is, what if I find a really interesting stunt but didn't bring any protection?

ride hard take risks
    EVS & 66One have great armor.

http://www.evs-sports.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have been wearing elbow guards for some of the more rough sections. I just don't think I'm trying to prove anything by going without it. I know some xc racers who wear elbow guards depending on the course in a local series. Just because the pros in the videos will ride without it...

livin' large
    I wear roach knee/shin pads b/c I like to ride in really rocky terrain, they have proven themselves many times with falling off the bike, and recently when cornering close to a tree I nailed the tree with me knee. Although if the trail is tamer and its a hot day I will ride without them
    it tied the room together man!

thats right living legend
    I sometimes ride with Fox launch arm gaurds, in spite of my massive pythons they sometime slide down alittle, but not much. I've also got some Fox 911 leg armor, but haven't ridden anything worth using it yet.

I already rode that
    I'd actually get more use out of body armor then a helmet.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wear knee / shins on just about any trail riding - flat pinned pedals can cause some pain on the easiest trail w/ one slip. Any technical / FR / DH I add my full face helmet & elbow pads. Super technical, rocky DH I add my upper body armor , padded crash shorts, and hi top Dualies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I agree that it is more of a question of when I wear it. If I ride someplace like Moab, I'll wear both leg and arm most of the time....taking both heat and the technical merit of the trail into account. Riding the crappy trails I have in SE VA, I never even think about it.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    bananna hammock, shoes, helmet.

mtbr member

Forcefield

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    Lycra is the only armor I need. And a helmet of course
    I have been looking for years for something that protects my hips, elbows etc ... and that can be used for long rides with lots of uphill ... I use Dainese pants that have some soft hip protection but I wonder how much use it is ...

Ideally it has to be built in a garmet, flexible, light

Now I am looking into forcefiled http://www.tprobodyarmour.co.uk/default.asp that make soft staff for motorcycles ... expensive but I will check it out soon in SF at the USA importer http://www.johnsonleather.com/armor_main.htm

Double-metric mtb man
    I have a tendancy to go helmet, riding glasses, long sleeve T and long pants, but I've been considering picking up same armor for some of the mean trails locally.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Too Kool for Skool
    For trails with rough stuff and killer climbs ill use leg armor and an xc helmet. For really really rough/ fast/wet trails with killer climbs ill wear leg and a full face helmet. I have alot to loose if i screw up my face (im a trumpet player) so i wear full face on anyplace with a good quality dh run
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    it's short but it's pretty.... just like a guatemalan hooker...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    I figure I'm not really doing anything close to DH only mild FR
    please describe "mild FR" and "All Mountain" and define why they are different from general MTB riding and why either one would necessitate "special armor"

thank you.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Easy going rides - xc bike shorts jersy xc helmet full finger gloves eye protection and ect.

Trail parks, technical climbs, jagged rocks and with high speeds. - Full face helmet goggles, 661 assult suit (short sleeve), 661 2x4 elbow and arm gaurd, 661 4x4 shin and knee gaurd, Sette padded bike shorts. no one knows its me under there so theres no embarisment.

just to get you off my back

Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    please describe "mild FR" and "All Mountain" and define why they are different from general MTB riding and why either one would necessitate "special armor"

thank you.
    "All Mountain", for me, means riding trails that are technical with some small stunts. Whereas, "FR", for me, means ditching the trail altogether in favor of larger stunts. "Stunts", for me, means anything from drops to log rides. "Smaller" stunts, for me, means that the stunts are either technically easy but could, if not done correctly, produce broken bones; or it means that the stunts are difficult but on the smaller side--think two foot wheelie drop.

The difference between "All Mountain" and just "Trail Riding, for me, is the fact that "All Mountain" includes stunts or seriously technical sections--think Lynn Woods. "Trail Riding" includes bunny hopping 8" logs, taking 1' jumps, but mainly riding along with your wheels on the ground.

So, when I say "Mild FR", I mean going out specifically to find some stunts and work on them. I do not mean going out to ride more than a couple of miles. However, the "Mild" aspect refers to the fact that my "All Mountain" bike is not built so that it can take 10' drops to flat. That would be "Serious FR".

As you can see, "All Mountain" involves a little more risk than "Trail Riding". I would recommend your not using any protection...
    Last edited by Guyechka; 05-01-2006 at 02:36 PM.

mtbr member
    I wear shin gaurds, cause thats how pimps roll.

And, since I bought em, the 3 times I have gone out without em, I have come back with scars. My most recent run in ended up with 4 deep scratches that are still scabbed over, 2.5 weeks later. They are 661 racelites, modified.

Matt

jbf
    mtbr member

Std Helmet, hard shin pads, full finger gloves ....

I always ride with a standard mtb helmet, Fox BMX shin guards, long finger gloves (I like TLD), heavy weight riding shorts and long sleeves. I am looking for suggestions to add knee pads to the equation as well. I think what you wear depends on where and what you ride. I need protection from minor blows against rocks and trees, as well as brush, thorns, poison ivy and my platform pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    What safety gear is worn is always of interest/curiosity to me. When I rode sportbikes, I wore pants/jacket/boots/gloves as a minimum. When riding fast (track time, weekend forays) I wore full leathers and back protector as well. I had some guys, all cruiser bike types, actually talk some trash about me and my friends being wanna-be racers (though I had been on a track many times). My reply was always for them to wear what they felt was adequate then to jump out of the back of my truck at 10 mph to simulate a low speed crash. None took up my offer.

As far as biking, I see people wearing no helmet (rarely, but...) and almost never pads. Yet they mob downhill at speed without worry. Talking to a couple of guys, they said they never worried about crashing, yet would never ride their dirtbikes, even at the same bike speeds, in shorts, shirts, and plastic/styrofoam helmets.
    It's a Sledgehammer...

silly person
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike

thank you.
    Please describe why you're trying to discourage people from wearing whatever armour they like while riding their bikes in whatever fashion they choose.

In case you hadn't noticed gonzostrike, the labels are only their to help people get some idea of the type of riding people are doing and asking advice about. They are also useful marketing terms. They aren't the be all and end all. Why oh why do people, such as yourself, who are so hooked on these terms and the definitions of them seem to have such trouble understanding them.

To quote a popular recent film:
    And thirdly ... the code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
    The terms are only there to give people some idea and perspective so that advice can be more useful. The terms are also use as a good marketing drivel. Pull your head out of your arse and stop trying to enforce labeling and disrupting useful threads

Edit: Oh yeah, helmet, glasses and gloves for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast