6 4.84%
  • Some type of leg protection, but no arm protection

39 31.45%
  • Both arm and leg protection

25 20.16%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin.mac.au
    Please describe why you're trying to discourage people from wearing whatever armour they like while riding their bikes in whatever fashion they choose.

In case you hadn't noticed gonzostrike, the labels are only their to help people get some idea of the type of riding people are doing and asking advice about. They are also useful marketing terms. They aren't the be all and end all. Why oh why do people, such as yourself, who are so hooked on these terms and the definitions of them seem to have such trouble understanding them.

To quote a popular recent film:

The terms are only there to give people some idea and perspective so that advice can be more useful. The terms are also use as a good marketing drivel. Pull your head out of your arse and stop trying to enforce labeling and disrupting useful threads

Edit: Oh yeah, helmet, glasses and gloves for me.
    Some people would just like us to know that they do (real FR riding) on (real FR bikes) and belittling others is the only way they can think of to get that in...

i take whatever i am doing that day. On my "all mountain" rides, which has technical climbs, and rock gardens at most, I just use my helmet and full finger gloves. On some rides, there's assorted jumps, steep tight narrow switchbacks, teetertotters and step downs, so I'll carry my full face and shinguards on my dakine pack and put those on after I battle through the climb at the beginning of the ride. The pack and climb are quite a handful those days with the extra weight on my back.
    but I tend to carry my shin guards more requently now, unless the ride is totally benign.. I got
    pedal gouge on my shin 5 weeks ago and it still has a big scab over it.

Still lost
    thong...unshaven back.

Seriously, usually just go with XC type helmet. If I were doing lift serviced trail riding, I may wear shin guards.
    [SIZE=3]
    "Yesterday is the past,
    Tomorrow is not guaranteed,
    For today, we ride"
    [/SIZE]

Custom User Title
    Like most it depends on what I'm doing/riding. For everyday trail it is XC Helmet, full finger gloves, jersey, baggy shorts w/ buit in chamois. If i'm going FR, DJ, or anything else I get the full face and the leg, arm, and 661 jacket.

I used to wear leg gear when on trail but I didn't use them so now they wait for me to get the big bike out. But two rides ago it would have been nice to have them when I got clipped by a 4in dead branch hiding off of the side of the trail in a corner.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

"El Whatever"
    Just helmet and gloves... but then my riding is not very aggressive.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    Lycra is the only armor I need. And a helmet of course
    Isn't lycra-wearing explicitly banned from this forum????

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I think that most people get armor for the parts of their bodies which get hurt the most. In my case, I learned to start wearing gloves the hard way, after wrecking and loosing skin from about 60% of my right palm. It hurt like a mother for a while and I don't ride without gloves any more. Full finger, year round. I also tend to bang my knees at times during tech manouvers or wrecks as well as my shins, so for any trail that pushes my skills, I armor my legs up. I do have elbow pads, but I only wore them once and didn't find tham all that comfortable.

For this upcoming lift season, I'm in need of a full body armor, full face helmet and some good shoes with grippy rubber for the flats on my SGS. No dicking around in those conditions.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Isn't lycra-wearing explicitly banned from this forum????
    Only for guys....
    Check my Site

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Just helmet and gloves... but then my riding is not very aggressive.
    Not even shorts or a jersey? jk
    Team MOJO Wheels.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteele
    Not even shorts or a jersey? jk
    Damn, forgot to mention the classy "elephant face" thong!

Now, seriously... I can't get how some guys ride with no shirt or jersey. I've seen people do that.
    Check my Site

silly person
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Some people would just like us to know that they do (real FR riding) on (real FR bikes) and belittling others is the only way they can think of to get that in...
    I'm just amazed at how he can have such an issue about descriptions used to define riding styles. Then again, having looked at a few of his other posts he seems to be more happy to troll than to post constructive threads/comments.
    Last edited by Martin.mac.au; 05-01-2006 at 04:46 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm really considering buying some lycra for the more aggressive trails I ride, and saving my baggies for the smoother trails. I'm tired of the crotch getting caught on my saddle when i have to get far back over my rear tire on the steep, rocky downhills.

Ant

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I only recently started wearing gloves, after getting poison ivy on my hands. Oh yeah, I also wear shoes... those pedals hurts it's feets.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    I'm really considering buying some lycra for the more aggressive trails I ride, and saving my baggies for the smoother trails. I'm tired of the crotch getting caught on my saddle when i have to get far back over my rear tire on the steep, rocky downhills.

Ant
    Dont forget to shave!

mtbr member
    I just wear a helmet and full finger gloves (usually gloves, not always).

I don't give a crap if anyone wears armor or not, but I find it uncomfortable and restrictive. I'd rather get the occasional scrape and bruise than be uncomfortable all the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Dont forget to shave!
    that's the plan

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I am still searching for a better helmet - but for now, a Giro Zen.

For everyday hard riding - TLD knee pads. Comfy enough to wear all day. The trick is to put a little bit of elastic bandage just around the knee to protect the back. But I am sick of nasty knee injuries, and you can seldom come off and not hit your knee to some degree.

I would like to find some elbow guards - but they are less essential for me.

The minute I am riding big stuff, or DH, I am into spine guard and full face lid. Still stick with the TLD's though for the knees - they are brilliant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Good job! am armour . what do you wear?

a skull cap under my xen , helps going thru spider webs in summer.

Now with 3 more inches!
    White knee-length tube socks and wrist bands. Towelling can soak up a lot of blood.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2