mtbr member

New question here. AM with 180mm up front?

building a 150mm Banshee Rune and was wondering if a 180mm (adjustable to 140mm) would be overkill...or destroy the 67* HA.

Anyone try this setup of their AM rides?

I'll likely go 160mm up front...but am really toying with the 180mm idea.

Posted on the banshee forum but I figure other non banshee specs would help me decide.

thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    I run a coil Totem up front on my Delirium, probably ~65 HA. Coming from my trail bike with 130mm and 69.5 HA, it isn't really a big disadvantage for climbing as long as you can get your weight over the front on the steep bits. Rear shock sag and tyre choice make the biggest differences IMHO.

Is it overkill on a 150mm bike? Probably.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    I run a coil Totem up front on my Delirium, probably ~65 HA. Coming from my trail bike with 130mm and 69.5 HA, it isn't really a big disadvantage for climbing as long as you can get your weight over the front on the steep bits. Rear shock sag and tyre choice make the biggest differences IMHO.

Is it overkill on a 150mm bike? Probably.
    would you go 160mm fox or 170mm Lyric? something else?

I have a trail bike with 140mm front and rear...so I want this AM set up to be different. I don't want it to feel too similar.

mtbr member
    If I was buying I would go 170mm, probably 55 RC3 or Vengeance HLR Coil. But you would be better off asking someone who has used those forks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB View Post
    180 mm...overkill...
    Never!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    160mm would be better. It will definitely change the HA. I've never ridden one but I imagine it wouldnt climb well at 180mm, but the adjustable travel option would take care of that. There is at least one production bike I know of that has this combo:Diamondback Scapegoat

So it depends greatly on the frame. Could very well void your warranty also.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    If I was buying I would go 170mm, probably 55 RC3 or Vengeance HLR Coil. But you would be better off asking someone who has used those forks.
    the vengeance has the same a-c height as 180 mm forks. So it will change the geo just as much as a totem. Just thought id mention that. I ran a 180 fork on my mark 1 rune (which i assume the op has since he said 150 mm of rear travel not 160) as well as a 160. I know many didnt like the 180 on that bike but i didnt think it was too bad, bb was a tad high but it felt great on the dh. a little odd climbing. However, if i was to do it over again id split teh difference and go 170 lyric. Now I have a proper 7" frame (blindside) and really fits a 180 fork much better. (I also have a 15o mm trailbike). BTW the rune mark1 does warranty support up to 180 single crown fork.
    Last edited by dwyooaj; 01-15-2013 at 10:29 PM.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've climbed steeper crap on my 180 hardtail than my xc bike mostly because of the wider grippier tires. Don't get caught up in all the bs...go 180 and pretend it won't slow you down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    the vengeance has the same a-c height as 180 mm forks. So it will change the geo just as much as a totem. Just thought id mention that. I ran a 180 fork on my mark 1 rune (which i assume the op has since he said 150 mm of rear travel not 160) as well as a 160. I know many didnt like the 180 on that bike but i didnt think it was too bad, bb was a tad high but it felt great on the dh. a little odd climbing. However, if i was to do it over again id split teh difference and go 170 lyric. Now I have a proper 7" frame (blindside) and really fits a 180 fork much better. (as well as a 15o mm trailbike). BTW the rune mark1 does warranty support up to 180 single crown fork.
    As I said, the geometry doesn't bother me, but you can drop ~500g going with the Vengeance over the Totem (coil vs coil). So if you don't need the extra travel/stiffness/whatever of the Totem, you might as well save the weight (and some cash).

Also, the Blindside is a sweet bike. If they hadn't stopped making them I would probably be riding one. Hopefully they come out with a new version.
    Last edited by cerebroside; 01-15-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB View Post
    building a 150mm Banshee Rune and was wondering if a 180mm (adjustable to 140mm) would be overkill...or destroy the 67* HA.

Anyone try this setup of their AM rides?

I'll likely go 160mm up front...but am really toying with the 180mm idea.

Posted on the banshee forum but I figure other non banshee specs would help me decide.

thanks in advance...
    I have a similar setup, with the 140/180 TALAS up front and 150mm of rear travel. I find it works really well. Climb at 140, descend at 180. I don't know how much I'd like it if I was stuck at 160. It's a bit much for steeper climbs [I used to have a 160 TALAS on the same bike]. My HA 66.5 [based on 160mm fork geometry]. Worked great pretty much everywhere. Whenever I was in tight singletrack I left it in the 140 setting to get faster handling.

The Rune is an awesome choice. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    [QUOTE=cerebroside;10076323]As I said, the geometry doesn't both me, but you can drop ~500g going with the Vengeance over the Totem (coil vs coil). So if you don't need the extra travel/stiffness/whatever of the Totem, you might as well save the weight (and some cash).

Also, the Blindside is a sweet bike. If they hadn't stopped making them I would probably be riding one. Hopefully they come out with a new version.

Id love to try the Vengeance (I really dig the vector coil on my butcher) but found a deal on a totem too good to pass up. I think they replaced the BS with the tr250, which is also a sweet bike but the BS is better for me being more climbing-capable. Funny I now have two recently discontinued bikes, and for both I cant figure out why they were discontinued.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside