mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Aluminum 17í stumpjumper vs s-works 16í stumpjumper

Given the option to have a 17í aluminum stumpjumper for $2100 or a 16í s-works stumpjumper for $2800 which would you choose? Both in very good condition. Is there any significant changes between 16 and 17 models? The 17í has gx drivetrain while the s-works uses xx1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Is the '16 a Boost frame? Probably not. Maybe that's not important to you but it opens the options for 6Fattie or 9'r set-up. It was to me when Spec warranted my frame this past year. I was going to go S-Works since they were going to give me anything I wanted. They could supply an immediate '16 but I wanted Boost and that was 2 months away for an S-works. I took a '17 Expert, instead. Not a whole lot of difference otherwise but boost is significant, IMO. That said 2800 is a smoking deal on the S-Works. I just got my buddy dialed in on a '17 SJ Comp carbon for $2400. The carbon frame would be my personal preference, especially for a couple hundred more than the alloy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Are you talking FSR? Is the '16 a Boost frame? Probably not. Maybe that's not important to you but it opens the options for 6Fattie or 9'r set-up. It was to me when Spec warranted my frame this past year. I was going to go S-Works since they were going to give me anything I wanted. They could supply an immediate '16 but I wanted Boost and that was 2 months away for an S-works. I took a '17 Expert, instead. Not a whole lot of difference otherwise but boost is significant, IMO. That said 2800 is a smoking deal on the S-Works. I just got my buddy dialed in on a '17 SJ Comp carbon for $2400. The carbon frame would be my personal preference, especially for a couple hundred more than the alloy.
    Both are 29 inch full suspension. I think itís 142x12, I donít think thats boost. I could be wrong. I like the 9er ride and donít really have any interest in swapping around between 650b fatter and 29er, donít really have the garage space for all that anyway lol.
    Scoop is I saw the s-works at that price and made a spur of the moment purchase. Need to decide if I want to pass the deal on to someone else or sell my 17í (pretty sure itíll go at $2100) as itís in good shape.
    Is there some other big gain to having boost other than the ability to run different size wheels and tires?

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Stiffer, less flex at the hub. Less flex in the 9'r wheel due to wider geometry in spokes. Room to run wider tires. There may be more touted about boost but that's the basics, I 'spose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Stiffer, less flex at the hub. Less flex in the 9'r wheel due to wider geometry in spokes. Room to run wider tires. There may be more touted about boost but that's the basics, I 'spose.
    You got me interested in what exactly boost is.

Found this article directly addressing the 16í modelís lack of boost. Looks like they did some rigging to the hub to get a similar stiffness.
    https://www.google.com/amp/singletra...this-year/amp/

I guess I need to decide if i need that. Iím such a novice I probably wonít notice a difference.
    Recently got a carbon diverge for road rides and was stunned how much better it rode than the alloy road bike it replaced. Im imagining a similar experience here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegolfpilot View Post
    ... 16í modelís lack of boost. ...
    The apostrophe takes the place of the first two digits of the year. 2016 becomes '16
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'd take the sworks model in a heartbeat if it's in good shape. The carbon frame and wheels will .ore than make up for any lost stiffness due to non boost. It'll also be a lot lighter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk