mtbr member

Alternative to the Minion? Better in the wet?

I ride a 2.7 DHF Minion supertacky in front and it work's great except on wet root's, bridge's and stunts. The solid center lugs are split side to side to assist in traction. I feel there might be a better option and am looking for some advise. I have considered trying a Spec Butcher in front instead.

The wet terrain is the only time I feel this tire lacks for me. I know roots and wet wood is going to be slick but the front slides a good bit more than the rear which has a Spec Clutch control 2.3 on it.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

usually cranky
    i had the minion, replaced it with a wtb prowler ss. ime just as good cornering bite but a faster roller. ok in the wet. had the butcher too, only marginally better than the minion in the wet and comprable elsewhere. for true meatiness in the wet id look at schwables dh offerings.

mtbr member
    Conti Baron with black chili is my go to winter tire. I run a pair of 2.3s on my 160mm trail bike, you'd probably opt for a 2.5 for extra volume.

mtbr member
    Conti Baron with black chili is my go to winter tire. I run a pair of 2.3s on my 160mm trail bike, you'd probably opt for a 2.5 for extra volume. The black chili has really good grip in the wet stuff, and the knobs won't fall off like some other German brands after 5 rides.

usually cranky
    zing!

mtbr member
    Muddy Mary DH casing 2.5" in Vertstar = DONE!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Muddy Mary DH casing 2.5" in Vertstar = DONE!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    The new Magic Marry in Super Gravity casing looks like it will be a winner as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 94krawler View Post
    I ride a 2.7 DHF Minion supertacky in front and it work's great except on wet root's, bridge's and stunts. The solid center lugs are split side to side to assist in traction. I feel there might be a better option and am looking for some advise. I have considered trying a Spec Butcher in front instead.

The wet terrain is the only time I feel this tire lacks for me. I know roots and wet wood is going to be slick but the front slides a good bit more than the rear which has a Spec Clutch control 2.3 on it.
    What pressure are you running?
    In slippy conditions I run DH tires on the front 20-25psi (with standard tubes).

mtbr member
    I've run between 25 and 18 PSI with a standard tube. 20-18 psi it feels good till you bank a hard turn fast and its just not enough pressure to keep it from trying to fold. 25 it corners awesome but starts to suffer grip in wet stuff. I have it now 22-23 PSI and it doesnt fold but wet root's are unpredicatable at times. I know its going to slide on wet roots and such but being predictable is worth alot.

I'm going to look into what has been posted up for alternatives. Trail conditions near me vary from wet and mossy to hardpack to tons of rock with coal dirt between. Trying to find a well rounded tire is a PITA.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Can't think of many tires that will have more wet wood traction than a supertacky minion. Barons, Butchers, and Muddy Marys (and soon Magic Mary) are all good recommendations, but I really don't think any one of them is going to provide that noticeable of a performance boost on wet wood. Mud conditions are a different story and a different class of tire all together.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by 94krawler View Post

I'm going to look into what has been posted up for alternatives. Trail conditions near me vary from wet and mossy to hardpack to tons of rock with coal dirt between. Trying to find a well rounded tire is a PITA.
    possibly a weirwolf? may not have the volume you seek though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Can't think of many tires that will have more wet wood traction than a supertacky minion. Barons, Butchers, and Muddy Marys (and soon Magic Mary) are all good recommendations, but I really don't think any one of them is going to provide that noticeable of a performance boost on wet wood. Mud conditions are a different story and a different class of tire all together.
    I couldn't disagree more. The Muddy Mary's knobs are siped and provide a noticeable improvement on wet woodwork and roots. In fact that's why I run them on my FR bike and DHF's on my downhill bike (as do most in my posse)!!!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Second the MM.. wth magic mary??

I'm with stupid
    I have had pretty good luck with the MM also, I do also like the black chili compound from conti. seems to work very well also.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    cg has a 2.5 40a sticky all condition dh tire. I have the all mountain version 2.35. its about the same size as a 2.5 minion, the casing isn't as tall but the side knobs are significantly larger, and cupped and it was designed with all conditions in mind. just mounted them and havnt ridden them, but looking down at them mounted is inspiring visions of grandeur. we'll see. Video: Cedric Gracia with Panaracer CG DH and Driver Pro 27.5/650b | Mountain Bike Review
    Attached Images Attached Images