mtbr member

Alternative Lever for Gravity Dropper seatpost

Hi,

does anybody use a different lever than the original on their gravity dropper seatpost?

IŽam asking, because I thought about switching the lever of my GD Classic from the right to the left side and therefor would have to order a new switch body and arm for left hand operation.
    Instead of doing this I wondered if there is a better alternative that can be used on both sides without having to rebuild the lever and maybe can be positioned in a way that is less exposed in case of a crash.

Thought about the levers of Kind Shock, Joplin or Command Post

Any tipps out there??

mtbr member
    If you do a search on ebay there's a Taiwanese site that sells knock off gravity droppers. They have a different lever that they may be able to source separately. I'll have a look later when I get a chance.

Tim

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    don't bother.

take your right side lever, put it on the left side upside down. play with the position - see, isn't that better? puts it where your thumb actually is.

Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Dianetics Junior
    Good thread!....curious to see what others are doing - but i am with Scrub...running the right hand on the left as a thumb lever...works great for me....

Team Chilidog!
    I called Gravity Dropper on this a couple months ago, because I really really hate their lever. Enough that I'm looking at replacing it with a KS Lev in the future..

However, they said they're coming out with a more ergo switch (which is what they call the lever). Might be time to call them for an update.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    May 2005

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    They have a different lever that they may be able to source separately.

mtbr member
    @Wombat

Here in Germany I unfortunately cannot find those Taiwan stuff…

@scrublover

Thanks, I had this idea too, but running a rear derailleur the X9 Trigger is in the way on the left side...

This is my solution so far, but ergo-wise it is not ideal

@Stripes

These are good news - I will follow the news on the GD site to see if this comes true.

@randan

Unfortunately these posts are quite old and they all need special tweaks to operate in a proper way like drilling holes and adding screws. The only lever that might work "out of the box" is the Manitou infinite travel lever - but this one is discontinued.

Seems like we have to wait for the new ergo lever from GD itself...

mtbr member
    Bike24 in Germany was selling the "Forca Sports SP350 Vario Seat Post", although they don't list them anymore.

And this is the ebay site: 2013 New TMARS Adjustable Seatpost Seat Post , 27.2X425mm | eBay

Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    Bike24 in Germany was selling the "Forca Sports SP350 Vario Seat Post", although they don't list them anymore.

And this is the ebay site: 2013 New TMARS Adjustable Seatpost Seat Post , 27.2X425mm | eBay

Tim
    Hi Tim,

thanks for the link. The lever on this post looks identical to the Crank Brothers Joplin. It has the same joystick-style. Honestly I do not like it very much. Maybe it is worth waiting for a new original lever???

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have the lever flipped and it works fine. I just wish that back piece was made of metal rather than plastic. I ordered 2 extras to keep on hand just in case.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanTemplar View Post
    I have the lever flipped and it works fine. I just wish that back piece was made of metal rather than plastic. I ordered 2 extras to keep on hand just in case.
    Buy one of these Hope Tech Master Cylinder Clamp.

Use the standard GD bolts, replace the plastic bit with this.
    It's a bit ghetto, but it works fine, I discovered this in desperation when the plastic broke and one of these was the only thing in three people's cars and an uplift van that even looked vaguely like fitting.

Amazingly the bolts fit in the 'too big' hole in the clamp just fine, the result is way more solid than the plastic clamp GD use.

Back soon with a pic...

mtbr member

mtbr member
    @ Fix the Spade

DonŽt know how old your GDs are, but mine from late 2011 already have a clamp made out of steel....
    It is a 450mm version directely ordered from GD.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalkhoffpink View Post
    DonŽt know how old your GDs are, but mine from late 2011 already have a clamp made out of steel....
    I'm not jealous, honest

2008, bought from a shop, aside from the plastic bit of the clamp nothing's ever gone wrong with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hmm, that's strange I got mine like a month ago. Although it was from Jenson so maybe they had it in stock for a while. I'll have to open up the package from GD and see if the clamps that they gave me are metal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Kindshok to GD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalkhoffpink View Post
    DonŽt know how old your GDs are, but mine from late 2011 already have a clamp made out of steel.... It is a 450mm version directely ordered from GD.
    I got mine a month ago, also sent direct from GD and it's plastic. Maybe it's a lucky dip while they clear old stock.It came wisth a spare clamp.

I like the Hope clamp. Thanks for the tip.

Tim

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Mine came with two also. I broke one of the two during the initial installation.