Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

allmountain racing.

I think they need to start up all mountain races after all that is true mountain bike racing. All they have done with cross country is make it a roadie sport. What do you think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Megavalanche, downieville....races are coming up.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    XC racing is lame! We're working on the urban downhill event I talked with you about! Hopefully it'll be held where I said it would be held and we're going to start working on the presentation [risks and liabilities] to city council soon.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

Off the back...
    XC racing used to be pretty rough compared to what it is now, at least around here. I blame the UCI World Cup series. The WC in Canmore back in the late 90's was considered a "technical" course, and that was after they chopped all the roots out of the climbs and widened the trail by about 4'. For an AM race, it should be a single 40km loop featuring some or all of the following:
    - creek crossings
    - scree
    - babyheads
    - loose gravel
    - sand
    - roots
    - roots
    - more roots
    - grassy meadows
    - washouts
    - wet leaves
    - cow ****
    - horse ****
    - abusive hikers
    - bear[s]
    - trail tread no wider than 3'
    - average 10% grade for the loop [4000m gain over 40 km]
    - no outside technical assistance, but you can get stuff from your fellow racers
    - no feed stations
    - clock stops after you chug a beer and eat a slice of leftover pizza at the finish

Sounds pretty reasonable to me...

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ you forgot 'safety meetings'
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Alien Surf Team
    Yeah, I did a lot of MTB racing in the late 80's and it could be pretty technical. We didn't really have different categories of MTB back then. It was all the same.

I think that's probably why I get all bent when I read people talking down about XC riders/racing like they can hardly even ride a bike. I just never think of MTB or XC as some flat, straight, smooth fire road. I see it as the old days, the same as AM minus big jumps and drops.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    You need to get up to BC and race... there's a couple coming up that I wouldn't ride on an XC bike;

Squamish Gear Jammer

North Shore Bike Fest

Both of those are tough races and the Squamish one is all singletrack on great trails that are technically challenging. I'll be riding them on my new Remedy. Should be the perfect set up. I won't break records, but I'll have a lot of fun.

Oh and it also goes to show that BC isn't all about big gap jumps and riding skinny logs, there's a LOT of great epic riding to be done on superb single track that is technically challenging.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Haha, didnt a certain someone chug a beer and eat a pizza mid race at a certain event recently? LOL.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

banned
    I was thinking about how to shoot this down, but perhaps there could be some legs on this.

Maybe a minimum weight, such as 30 pounds, minimum travel, and then everything else goes. Courses made accordingly.

knock-knock...
    My teammate broke a khs crest frame during an xc race this year, I don't think that would happen on course where "they chopped all the roots out of the climbs and widened the trail by about 4 feet."

not trying to start an argument, just sayin that there are still some race courses out there that "bring the gnar," or at least a little bit of gnar.
    i smell a rat-Patrick Henry

Shred all that can be

Anything here in the EAST SIDE!

Besides Massanutten are there any super D like races on the east coast... anyone heard of new ones... ANYTHING!
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn_biker17
    I think they need to start up all mountain races after all that is true mountain bike racing. All they have done with cross country is make it a roadie sport. What do you think.
    Most of the local xc races around here are anything but road races. Some are downright brutal in the technical dept. Rocky, rooty, steep ups and downs, extended climbs and descents.

Thing is, assuming you are starting and ending on the same elevation, I can't see wanting an AM rig to race any of them, even though it is what I would have more fun with, and what I like to ride them on now. I'd choose a XC bike for pretty much any of them if there was someone with a stopwatch at the end of it.

bike rider
    If not for the road sections (dirt & pavement) the Breckenridge Firecracker 50 could be considered a great AM race course. Most of the singletrack sections are pretty rough and steep. It is the Marathon National Championship. Here's to hoping Mark will reroute and eliminate some of the road climb (turn off Boreas Pass Rd onto Aspen Tunnel and climb singletrack all the way to Baker's Tank).

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot that the gnarliest part, Nightmare on Baldy is gone now
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ya the races here in texas are hard. But you go to a pro race and a first time rider can race it. I think if you want to be pro you should ride pro trail not novice trails. Other then speed I would put myself against any pro cross country racer and more then likely win.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Other then speed I would put myself against any pro cross country racer and more then likely win.
    Win what? What is there besides speed in a race? Best outfit?

Heck, other than cooking, I am just as good as the top chefs in the world.

Alien Surf Team
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Win what? What is there besides speed in a race? Best outfit?

Heck, other than cooking, I am just as good as the top chefs in the world.
    hahahahaha.

MC MasterShake
    I'd be all over a race like this. Here on the east coast we have a couple of long races and some 24 hour stuff which is ok but it's pure XC. I did some of those races a couple years back on a 6x6 but it was just silly. I ended up picking an XC rig just for those races. I would love to come across a race that would scare the crap out of you if you were on an XC bike. Something that would take like 5 or 6 hours to complete with techy climbs and gnarly downhills. A race that would reward someone with a mix of Downhill/Freeride level tech skills and XC/Roadie level of aerobics. Me and my buds have a couple of group rides that are like this every year. Would be cool to have an official race like this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    I'd be all over a race like this. Here on the east coast we have a couple of long races and some 24 hour stuff which is ok but it's pure XC. I did some of those races a couple years back on a 6x6 but it was just silly. I ended up picking an XC rig just for those races. I would love to come across a race that would scare the crap out of you if you were on an XC bike. Something that would take like 5 or 6 hours to complete with techy climbs and gnarly downhills. A race that would reward someone with a mix of Downhill/Freeride level tech skills and XC/Roadie level of aerobics. Me and my buds have a couple of group rides that are like this every year. Would be cool to have an official race like this.

Thats what i'm talking about. Most everyday riders ride all day are at least me and my bubbys do. It's not just about speed. If you want speed then downhill. But aleast even downhillers have skill.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    There were also some cool sounding enduro style races in the UK last year at some of the trail centres. You had to be at the start of the prescribed DH trail at a certain time having ridden there. Yes climbed up, no shuttle. You were then timed on the DH trail and the times from each trail (5 I think) were added up. The times between runs were sufficiently tight that you had to pedal to each. Those guys were riding 6x6 bikes for that. It was reported in Dirt Magazine a few issues back.

There's no app for this.

We have lots of A-M races

another poster mentioned 2 well-known BC races, and there are lots more:

1) Victoria to Whistler - 7 day race Video teaser

2) Test of Metal at Squamish - sold out 800 spots as fast as the server could handle entries: http://testofmetal.com/pages/posts/t...he-world46.php
    67 Km and 1600 M of climbing

3) Trans Rockies: Over 600 kilometres and 12 000 vertical metres through the most rugged and majestic terrain the Canadian Rockies have to offer. ~ 6 days of very serious riding.http://www.transrockies.com/trc/

Time to escape Texas and discover the world.

That ought to be AM enough I think.

Jim

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

You are SOOOO phucking clueless. At the top level XC racers are really good bike riders, have to be. The best XC racer in the world Julien Absalon rips on a bike, his brother dominates the Mega Avalanche series. Adam Craig, Ross Schnell, Todd Wells, all these guys would smoke you so bad on technical stuff you'd get off your bike and start crying.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Actually there's a picture of Adam Craig airing off the GLC drop at the Whistler bike park at the end of the Super D race. He's a good bike handler for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    You are SOOOO phucking clueless. At the top level XC racers are really good bike riders, have to be. The best XC racer in the world Julien Absalon rips on a bike, his brother dominates the Mega Avalanche series. Adam Craig, Ross Schnell, Todd Wells, all these guys would smoke you so bad on technical stuff you'd get off your bike and start crying.
    XC racer?
    NO SHIRT
    NO SHOES
    NO DICE

mtbr member
    i rode once in marathon thru a half of my country and we went thru a one small town where cows went home from pasture. and there were about 60 of bicyclists riding on their bicycles. and cows had never seen so many riders and there were three types of cow's reactions on us.
    1. first group stopped and looked at us.
    2. run away from us
    3. run away and sh*t at a time
    so 3rd group made a real problem us to riding but it was very fun anyway despite this sh*t. when we passed those cows, guys talked about how many "sh*t mines" they activated

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff spicoli
    XC racer?
    Nope, bicycle rider.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast