mtbr member
    Sep 2005

All round frame..Enduro VS Heckler..

which one is better if i wanted an all round frame for Trail, XC, and some jumping and dropoffs..also would like the frame to be strong enough to trash and crash..currently looking at the Enduro and Heckler...which one do u guys think is better for an all round frame? or are there better alternatives? the Heckler seems more value for money it seems..would an extra USD450 for the enduro be better?

i would like to keep price as low as possible but i am willing to pay for what i am going to get..
    Last edited by mafia6; 03-31-2006 at 12:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Man, the Heckler is popping up here a lot lately. That should tell you something. There are many alternatives in this category. It all depends on what you want to do. The new Enduro is a good do everything bike and rides very nicely.

Both frames are strong enough to take some trashing and crashing. I pick the Heckler for a better hooligan bike, because there are less things to go wrong. It is built very simply, but burly and is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. The Heckler has remained the most popular trail bike on these boards over the last few years, for a reason. Check out the review section on mtbr for the Heckler and then look at all the other bike reviews. It isn't even close. Specialized has a better warranty, but very few Hecklers break and there is a lifetime crash replacement.

The Heckler is more versatile. The Heckler frame takes several different coil and air shocks. The Enduro comes with an air shock and it is a pain in the arse to find alternatives. The Enduro is a very capable bike and has improved greatly over the older models, but the Heckler is still the better swiss army knife imo.

ride hard take risks
    What ronny said. I dont think i can add to that.
    I have been marked as #1 stalker got my moniter on you ronny.

29er wannabe

Good job! Heckler

Ronny is spot on in referring the Heckler as a Swiss army knife. Having owned mine for over a year now, complete with two different wheelsets. It transforms into a sub 30lb. xc/trailbike or a light duty freeride machine.
    Having briefly ridden the Enduro, the Heckler seemed to bob less and felt snappier going up tight and twisty uphills.
    I may be wrong here, the Heckler seems more of a boutique brand and may offer a better resale value.
    Mines equipped with a Rockshox Pike and a Fox rp3

Not to contradict myself, the new Gary Fisher Fat Possum looks pretty interesting with it's elevated chainstays.

Gary

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You have picked too winners. I have the 132mm started in 02 type Enduro. I chose it over Heckler because nothing in the price range rode as nice, but the new Enduro with more travel is more expensive. The Enduro did not stiffen up with rear braking. That said, the Heckler was just down right nice to ride.

One thing I did and do notice. The Horst/AMP types I have ridden compared to others with an SPV type shock have a more free feeling with initial travel and this is something people like or do not like. I like it because those bikes seem to do a very good job of keeping traction in loose stuff. I also like it 'cause I want all the suspension and float I can get when I need it. Again this is my opinion, and I also ride different bikes for different types of trail - rigid single speed, hard tail jump/trials bike etc....

You really have to do test rides and ultimately make your own decision 'cause you're looking at two excellent product lines. Remember that stem, bars and seat post will make adjustments so concentrate on braking, handling and general personality when you do your test rides.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by yagimax
    Gary Fisher Fat Possum looks pretty interesting with it's elevated chainstays.
    Gary
    Not!!

There's no app for this.

had both, ronny's right...

and I still have the Enduro, the Heckler bit it when my car was rear-ended by some maroon not paying attention.

Heckler, hands down.

Jim

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    transition preston FR.frame alone is under a 1,000 and a complete build with a fox 36 talas-$2,688 or a 36 van-$2,618
    or as cheap as $2,399 with a travis.great buy,and everyone who ha one lives it,plus there cs is supposed to be top notch.

oh yea, what enduro are you looking at?
    so this is how you add a signature!!